Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs

Old 06-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

snorkels for 150cc gy6

Hi guys ...long time no post....been super busy with everything.

I am going to snorkel the wifes 150cc gy6 because of the stupid design flaw under the seat....there is a channel down each side of the body under where the seat is that allows dirt and water to get into the air box......so I am going to run 2 - 1 1/2 " snorkels after modding the air box (should be plenty of air with 3" of pipe supplying it ) and I have finally ordered a new mikuni carb for her 150 as well...should make a huge difference in performance from the old stock carb on it.

will post pics and such

why haven't I been on here in a while??? because I have been super busy getting my Grizzly 660 ready to go for this summer (I will upload some pics and vids of her in action) loving this beast of a machine with its 28" mudzilla tires and tons of power to spare.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:58 AM   #2

lol I find it funny that no one has said anything on this yet

Old 06-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #3

Pics might change that.

I'm failing to understand where water is running. I don't think our GY6 has a channel like you're describing.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

I have seen where the carb on a gy6 is turned around to face forward and a pod filter is placed to receive air from the front. I believe the carb mounting has to be altered so the carb sits level. Most doing that poke a hole below the seat in the plastic body for the filter.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Pics might change that.

I'm failing to understand where water is running. I don't think our GY6 has a channel like you're describing.
ohh you will get your pics...you know me lol

I will get a pic of it with the seat off and show you the channels in the plastics that allow this to happen....just a bad design.

Old 06-14-2016, 01:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct842 View Post
I have seen where the carb on a gy6 is turned around to face forward and a pod filter is placed to receive air from the front. I believe the carb mounting has to be altered so the carb sits level. Most doing that poke a hole below the seat in the plastic body for the filter.
oh yes I have seen this as well but I am doing this for 3 reasons....1 - eliminate the old way that it is getting air, 2 - I can tow her through deep stuff and 3 - when she gets in too deep it will still be safe.
also I am going to put a kill switch on the electric fan at the bottom front of the engine so that when she does go deeper than normal ( it happens) it is off when doing so lol

and it should look cool too lol

Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 AM   #7

well the idea of snorkels was great till it came time to figure out where the pipes would feed out of the air box.....there just isn't enough room with this air box to do two 1 1/2" pipes so I think I am going to go with W&G's sudgestion of running a hose off the carb and up under the hood to a uni filter tucked up in there(I know there is room in there for one)
this coupled with the new carb should do the trick (sorry no pics as I can't remember my sign in for photo bucket right now)
I do hope however that the new carb with the auto choke will work for this one as I am not sure if the plug is on the harness as the old carb is a manual choke -_-

Old 06-23-2016, 12:25 PM   #8

If the plug isn't in the harness, you'll need to wire in a resistor as well to protect the fuel enricher / choke.

I'd like to see the stock carb that has a manual choke.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-28-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

Take a look at my thread for a possible alternative that may help you.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15981

Andrew

Mine: 2015 TaoTao ATA-250D Camo
Son 1: 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 Camo
Son 2: 2015 TaoTao T-Force 125 Red Spiderweb

Old 06-29-2016, 01:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anhoard View Post
Take a look at my thread for a possible alternative that may help you.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15981
nice job on yours but our 150 doesn't have a vacant closed in space under the seat like that....it is wide open to accept the air box so the filter would get covered in poo pretty fast there hence the wanting to snorkel (or do as W&G suggested)

Old 06-29-2018, 03:58 PM   #11

Pics?

I also got a Helix 150cc today. I am a "Jeep Guy" and I am already looking at how to "Waterproof" this machine. I will stay on track with a few questions in regards of "snorkel" on this. First, Can u send me links of the machine you have as well as the one that u currently built? Also, There is 2 "snorkels" for Trans and another on this machine. Should they be plugged? This is my first "Go Kart" and yes, I will be playing with mud and water and just want to seal up what needs to be sealed. I dont want to go off subject but will start with the 2 questions in regards of "Snorkels". Thanks

Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #12

sorry guys haven't been on here in a long time and the 150 is now in pieces waiting on a rebuild.