Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters

Old 11-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #1

Panterra 90cc build

I got the little pit bike about 90% done so I figured I'd do a little write up on the build I did. I first got the bike when I was in 5th grade, rode the craps out of it untill high school and then it sat in my parent's garage since then. I took a trip back out there over the summer and decided to revive the old girl. After a good carb cleaning and some adjustments I had her riding pretty good and decided to take her out of retirement. I ripped it apart completely and threw it in the back hatch of the hhr, drove it 14 hours home to Illinois. One of my buddies gave me an old lifan 125 for free so I decided to completely overhaul the bike from top to bottom. I fiberglassed all the cracks, sanded down the paint, and gave her a fresh new look. The engine was a direct bolt up, the exhaust, chain, and intake/carb assembly from the 90 were all direct fit. The only issue was the wiring harness but a couple beers, wire clippers, and wire nuts later and I had it wired up right (well running anyway). The stock carb from the 90 was piddly so I got the carb that came with it from the guy who gave it to me. That one was a hunk of junk with a broken choke and I never got it to run how I wanted, I found a place out here that stocked all kinds of Chinese parts so for $15 I got a brand spanking new pz25 carb. The last thing that it needs for it to run right is a new throttle cable which is on the way! Now I'm just working on cleaning up the cable routing and some of the wires and it'll be done. I have to say this little lifan engine turned this bike into a beast!! So far I've had it up to 51 mph on the GPS Speedo, it can rip some serious wheelies and it doesn't take too much to break that back-end loose through corners. All in all I've spent about $200 fixing it up and it turned out to be one Hell of a budget build 😈
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0517.jpg (96.8 KB, 615 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0531.jpg (93.7 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0539.jpg (97.8 KB, 450 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0540.jpg (98.4 KB, 566 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0541.jpg (97.8 KB, 448 views)

Old 11-05-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Some more before pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0512.jpg (93.7 KB, 441 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0513.jpg (90.5 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0448.jpg (93.3 KB, 440 views)

Old 11-06-2015, 01:16 AM   #3

Awesome project!

Can you get the exhaust from your buddy as well? The stock exhaust on that Panterra is actually copied from a two-stroke, so it necks down to a ridiculously small pipe just before the muffler. A proper four stroke pipe would really wake it up.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

i just got a pitbike exhaust off ebay for 49.99 sent to the house for my piranha 150. If you want to keep going and change swingarm and etc. Let me know I have been building the xr70 which has the same frame about.If you nee any help or anything.

motorcycle: lifan dual sport "crankenstein"
Born of parts from all over the globe,laying rubber in a town near you!

Old 11-10-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust, the one that came with then engine stock was just a small rusted out stub so it looks like a shiny new exhaust system is gonna be my next upgrade! Once this semester is over and I can go back to working full time I'll start playing with suspension and handling components so I'll definitely try to pull from your experience demidestructo. Thanks for all your guy's help with this stuff, it can be really hard sometimes to find the information I need, and your advice and experience is definitely appreciated!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #6

The photos of the bike in the original color reminds me a lot of the full-size Panterra dual-sports, as far as looks go. The Panterra always had a unique style to it unlike many of the other dual-sports of the time which all looked like each other no matter what brand name they had. The full size Panterras left the market right around the time that the competition started coming out with 200cc engines. Thanks for 'digging' your mini Panterra out of the vault for us!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5366563_2.jpg (32.3 KB, 578 views)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-24-2016, 04:36 PM   #7

Big update! I got a new exhaust system for the bike and after spending a lot of time tinkering with carburetors and jetting got the bike to go 62 on a good flat piece of pavement. Since my last post I've installed 1.5" handlebar risers (awesome upgrade!), front headlight with high/low beam, Led taillight with front brake switch, a neutral indicator light, and a ghetto rigged handlebar mount for my phone (used for GPS speedometer). When I first installed the light setup I had an issue with the taillight being extremely dim at idle. I took a voltmeter to the system and found it was only outputting 5.6v, but when the engine was revved up the charging system would put out around 12.9v give or take depending on RPM. At first I thought it was a charging system malfunction, but I did some research and found many people had the same issue but it was fixed when they installed a battery. I really didn't want to go through the hassle of mounting one and also didn't want the extra weight, so I grabbed a big old capacitor and ran it directly off the output of the rectifier I installed. The bike puts out a steady 12.6v at idle and maxes out around 13.9v at full tilt. All the lights are bright and the taillight is very visible from a distance. At this point I'm gonna try to get it street registered here in Southern Illinois and hopefully have myself a nice little mini enduro bike! Heads up to those around this area, the Napa dealer in Carbondale sells Chinese Bike parts for stupid cheap. They also ship it's called VMC chinese parts, I've been going through them for most of my stuff. Does anyone know of a good tach/speedo setup for a good price? I'm considering a trailtech vapor setup but would like something a little less expensive. I'll keep you guys updated on whatever happens next with her!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapchat-7695510637323477191.jpg (105.0 KB, 501 views)
File Type: jpg Snapchat-3943751403806997972.jpg (101.0 KB, 449 views)

Old 06-24-2016, 05:40 PM   #8

Very nice!

/

Old 06-24-2016, 08:44 PM   #9

Your bike is the exact same as a baha dirt runner 90 .pep boys should be able to get you parts .

Old 06-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #10

Love it! Please show us a pic of the cap you installed, and please tell us the specs. Are you using the stock carb, or did you buy a new one? What jet sizes worked for you? 62mph is impressive!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Love it! Please show us a pic of the cap you installed, and please tell us the specs. Are you using the stock carb, or did you buy a new one? What jet sizes worked for you? 62mph is impressive!
I'm gonna have to get back to you with the picture of the capacitor (stuck at work till 9), but it's a 4700 uF 35v capacitor I got for $5 at Radio shack. The carburetor isn't stock, it's a pz25 carb I picked up, I believe it is a 95 main, but I'm not 100% on that. I ended up tearing down the old broken keihin carburetor that my buddy had given to me that came with the bike and sure enough the small round jet fit in the newer carb I bought. After a good soak in carb cleaner the jet was good to go! Also I forgot to mention that I jumped up 2 teeth on the front sprocket to a 16 tooth.