Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2012, 07:10 AM   #1

Okay here we go. This is what I refer to as a "Model A" style rear axle--also note the big leaf springs, the small helper coil springs and the mounts for another set of coils welded to the axle--the ones I see here are almost all like this:

Here's one of the local water-cooled ones--as you can see, a bit different from the South American model, this has the fuel tank under the bed and has a little bit longer wheelbase. The engine is under the rider's (driver's?) seat. The shift lever with the black ball on top is the FWD/REV selector lever. Also note the automotive style handbrake, which the air-cooled ones (and I imagine the South American ones as well), don't have.

Here's the engine area of one of the air cooled ones, the reverse lever is the one tucked in close to the engine--it is currently in FWD. Also note the odd kick start lever--this is another problem area as these get loose with regular usage. This particular example is currently missing the idler gear for the electric starter, so the kick starter is being used several times a day. This is a working machine, one that gets very little maintenance and lots of abuse.

Here's the reverse lever in the REV position. Also take a look at how the engine is mounted--it is mounted on top of a rubber mounted subframe and the rubber mounts can be seen in this photo.

From the other side. Here you can see that this is one of the ones that I've modified with a support under the shift lever. The support is under a layer of dusty grease and so is a little hard to pick out, but it is there. You can also see the reverse box/90 degree drive. I wonder now if there might not be 2 different styles of these--I have definitely seen ones with a splined shaft sticking out for a shift lever, but this one looks like it has a shaft that slides in and out of the casing rather than rotating. You can see the rest of the rubber mounts from here, btw--they are huge, I am sure that they were originally designed for some other application.

Now I'm off to find a place to put some photos of a coupel of my hybrid bikes.

[/img]