Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #16

Thanks again, Bill.

I will start with wiring it to the battery (w/ relay and switch) first, and then go from there. Well, I actually started with a battery. I just found a YUASA from a 08 Ninja on ebay that will replace the factory battery.

I have that signal dynamics voltage monitor here. It arrived yesterday, and should be a quick and easy wire in. This is a good time to consider a small fuse block for this stuff, too. Might make it a little easier.

Thanks for the links. I'm off to read now.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #17

Views of my headlight set-up:

How it all looks when hooked up:
The CuLayer relay is attached with Velcro above the shell. I've been in the rain numerous times since the install. It hasn't gotten wet there, but I would put something over it to seal it from water if I was going to do much water crossing.

H-4 bulb in the original headlight shell.

The bulb base needed some "adjusting" to fit the opening.

The original securing ring also needed some time with the Dremel :twisted:

H-4 wiring connector. I bought these when I went to Advance for something else. I had just used push on connectors and they stuck out pretty far.

Notice the "handy-dandy" home-made headlight adjuster.
The original plastic one had already broken and been glued back on. Finally shredded around the nut. :P
I used an old window blind mount, drilled the shell to match up the adjuster hole.
Used the original nut, screw and spring. That's a rubber RC servo isolator on top. Tight friction fit. Hasn't moved or loosened since install. :wink:

Later,
Bill

Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #18

Excellent pics and write-up, Bill. Thank you.

I haven't started down that road just yet, but it won't be too long now.

I got the fork guards, hand guards and the front fender coated with Dupont spray-on bedliner and re-installed today. The only plastic left to coat is the underside of the rear fender and the headlight fairing. I'll look into the rewire when I pull the headlight.

I contacted a local upholstery shop about the seat and got a $50 'guesstimate' on a rework. I'll carry the seat by in the next few days and try to talk him down to $40. I'll pay that so I can focus elsewhere.

The battery will be here Thursday and I hope to get started on the tool tube soon.
I really need to make some room in the garage (or park the EX outside 8O ) for a second bike so I can work on it after dark, and when it turns cold again....but for now, I'm stuck walking around back and lugging all my tools. No fun.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 PM   #19

Been there, done.......No wait a minute, I'm still there.
The "storage closet/junk room" (oh I mean the garage :twisted: ) definitely needs some help around my house, too. :wink:

Whenever the headlight shell goes south, I'm thinking about trying this:
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-60...ght+Lens%2c+Bd
I e-mailed Baja Designs and this one has the same dimensions as the GY's. No need to get another fairing, unless need to replace it also.
Plus it already uses H-4 base bulbs. 8)

Later,
Bill

Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #20

Well, I went by the upholstery shop today and spoke with the guy about my seat. I was hoping to get the price reduced, but instead it got jacked up....and as much as I hate to admit it, I agreed to pay what he asked.

We discussed several options, including the idea of him ordering a sheet of high density foam, which is probably the best choice, but he doesn't have a need for the stuff, so he wanted to charge me for a whole sheet, which would run about $100. If I had some other use for that, I might have considered it, but I couldn't see any way to make that work.

I ended up agreeing to a multi-layered process using a couple of different types of foam. The base layer is similar to a carpet padding type stuff, with a middle layer of thick foam and a top layer of another dense 1" type stuff.

I'm too ashamed to admit what it'll cost me, but I should have it back by the end of the week. And this is a small family run business, so that helps me feel a bit better about spending the money. The new battery will be here by the time I get the seat back, so the timing is pretty good.

I picked up the materials to make the tool tube and got that knocked out pretty quickly today. I'll get it painted black tomorrow (or the next day, if it rains) and start working on a mounting bracket for bolting it onto the bike.

If all goes well, I should have some new pictures to post of the recent mods sometime this weekend.

I'll take a peek at that Baja shell. I've looked at their DS kits several times, and have been pretty impressed.

Yea, the one car garage with a car and a bike...doesn't leave much room for a second bike, but I'll keep working at it and see what I can do. I don't like to think about parking the EX outside.

Edit: Oops, I misunderstood. That's the light, which will fit into our shell. Very nice to know it'll swap out with minimal hassle. And their shells look nice too!

Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #21

I may have to make that upgrade for the headlight.

Allen

Old 02-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #22

I was awakened this morning at 7am with a phone call. The guy at the upholstery shop was calling to tell me that he had stayed late yesterday and went ahead and got my seat done.

That was less than 24 hours. 8O

I think it looks great, and it feels good so far, but the real test will be on the road and over time.

Here's a few pictures...

The gap at the front of the seat where it meets the tank is just from not being on correctly. After I set the camera down and threw a leg over I noticed that and put it on correctly.
Try to ignore it these pictures....I'll post more!

And here's the tool tube. I haven't painted it yet...

The battery will be here tomorrow and I'm hoping to go dig in the dirt somewhere this weekend.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #23

I haven't accomplished much in the last few days, but I did get it all coated black, finally....and I fired her up and made a few laps around the back yard.

I think it looks really nice in all black. It really makes those gold forks look good, too.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #24

It does look good. 8)

Where are you going to mount the tool tube?
I hadn't thought to try something like that (and I've done plenty of projects with PVC).
Gonna have to build me one of those.
Bill

Old 02-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #25

Thanks

I'm still working on the bracket, but the current plan is to use this bolt...

I've spent more time on the bracket than I had hoped, but it should be pretty solid if it works out as planned. And I still need to make sure there won't be any clearance issues, which may require a whole new plan. I think there's a few good options though.

I was thinking I'd get into that today, but I took a few laps around the yard instead.
I have plans for tonight and expect rain to move in, so it may be a few more days still...

Old 02-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #26

SpeedSouth wrote:
Quote:
I've spent more time on the bracket than I had hoped, but it should be pretty solid if it works out as planned. And I still need to make sure there won't be any clearance issues, which may require a whole new plan. I think there's a few good options though.
Just had an thought :idea:
Maybe what you have planned :?:
Electrical conduit stand-off clamps or bands. (The bands will probably be best).
Get two large enough to "slip-fit" around the tube. Heat shrink tubing to cover the metal.
Kinda like the muffler attachment on some of the aftermarket exhausts.
Couple of stainless bolts and NyLock nuts to use the original attachment points, if clearance is there.
I'll be going to the Home Depot later this week
Bill

Old 02-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #27

Thanks for the tip/idea....I may go by 'The Ho' (Home Depot) this afternoon and have a look.

I was trying to use some stuff I had laying around, but after cutting and grinding and tinkering...I've lost any money I'd save in time.
What I have is pretty thick and not easily altered.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
I was trying to use some stuff I had laying around, but after cutting and grinding and tinkering...I've lost any money I'd save in time.
What I have is pretty thick and not easily altered.
Tell me about it.
"Wow, if I do this myself, it'll only cost 5 bucks" :wink:
5 hours total time and 2 trips to the store (for the item you thought you had laying around) later.............

Would've been a 10 minute bolt-on if I'd bought whatever it was.......

Bill

Old 02-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #29

Well, after a poor test-fit today, I decided to 86 the bracket and just go the simple and easy route.

I picked up a couple of large hose clamps yesterday while roaming around The Ho, and just looped those around the tube and around the rack on each side of the bolt I pointed out earlier. The tube is pretty secure like that and clearance is not an issue.

I made a few more laps around the yard...slinging some dirt and working the suspension. Not the best test, but the tube is pretty solid with just the clamps.

I'll get some pictures of it posted in a few days. It wasn't my choice of mounting options, but I'll keep my mind open for something better while I move on to the next project, which I'm hoping will be the wiring.

I think I'll just park the car outside for a day while I tackle several projects for both bikes. Sprockets, chain, wiring, oil changes and more!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #30

Here's a few pictures...

I'm not really happy with it yet, but I still have some other ideas for it...like a 'handle' for the cap and perhaps a tether for the cap, just in case it vibrates loose. My goal is to have the capped end angled up slightly, but I haven't accomplished that yet. And you might notice a tiny gap on the side panel where it doesn't fit as it should. The tube pushes it out slightly, but it may fit better with some angle added. Or I may have to trim it just a little.