Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2017, 10:00 PM   #16

Light weight backpacking gear.

Ditch the tent and get these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A good sleeping bag or top quilt and you are set.
Go here for more info https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

Good compact cook set with pots, utensils, stove. The small butane fuel canisters nest inside.

I use the freezer bag method of cooking meals.
http://www.trailcooking.com/trail-co...g-cooking-101/
http://www.backpackingchef.com/backpacking-meals.html

We have a dehydrator for elk and deer jerky along with a vacuum sealer. Takes a bit to cook and dehydrate meat and veggies. Throw in some seasoning, pasta, etc. But when you get to camp just boil water. Cook/steep and eat from the bag. No dishes to wash. Way less expensive than Mountain House and healthier, less sodium.

Rojo

Old 01-25-2017, 03:26 AM   #17

rojo, that is great advise. BTW I love Elk. I had it at all places Disney World in Florida for the first time. Good thing there isn't any here in the North East. I'd be chasing them around with salt and pepper trying to eat them.

I'm not so sure about the hammock camping. I see a lot of it on camping forums but how about when you have 20+ mph winds? and when it pours? Can you get the protection from everything that wants to bite, sting and suck the blood out of you? Where would I store my rifle?

I think I will eventually try it but first in my backyard as a test run.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
I'm not so sure about the hammock camping. I see a lot of it on camping forums but how about when you have 20+ mph winds? and when it pours? Can you get the protection from everything that wants to bite, sting and suck the blood out of you? Where would I store my rifle? .
You do need a tarp the cover the hammock (see one of the Amazon links in my first post) if you expect rain and wind. Depending on how you stake out the tarp (close to the hammock and low to the ground) your hammock and gear will stay dry and wind will be blocked. If it's large enough, you can close the ends for even more protection. Bug netting can be draped over the hammock using a ridge line to keep the critters off if need be. Hennessy, ENO and others have integrated bug netting for some of their hammocks. Gear is stored under the hammock and tarp set up. Most people bring a small piece of Tyvek or heavy plastic 3'x3' or so to place gear on.

BTW. There are elk in the East. There are transplanted elk in Kentucky and Pennsylvania. http://www.pgc.pa.gov/wildlife/wildl...s/default.aspx

I'm spoiled for both elk and mule deer here in Colorado.

Rojo

Last edited by rojo_grande; 01-25-2017 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added comments

Old 01-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #19

amazon has a hammock with a built in bug mesh. not sure if it was no-seum mesh or not

Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojo_grande View Post
BTW. There are elk in the East. There are transplanted elk in Kentucky and Pennsylvania. http://www.pgc.pa.gov/wildlife/wildl...s/default.aspx

I'm spoiled for both elk and mule deer here in Colorado.

Rojo
I should have specified, I'm in CT. I haven't heard of Elk up here yet but we do have mountain lions. One was hit on the Route 5 and our state says it was just a errant mountain lion. There have been countless sightings but the state wants to deny they exist here because they don't want to pay for a habitat study.

Old 01-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #21

I've motorcycle and bicycle camped for years. A lot of fun except for the occasional monsoon. Those are what make memories, though.

Good suggestions all. If I may add, bring a GOOD coffee pot if you need that caffeine jolt in the morning. I've tried those pour thru filter things and my oatmeal walked over and kicked the coffees' butt.

I just bought a camping hammock for myself. Don't recall the brand, it was an Amazon Lightning Deal. Has tree straps and bug netting. I already have the nylon tarp and a tyvek sheet. I've used the tarp and tyvek before for stealth camping. With rope, the thing weighs about a pound.

I have acquired a few two man tents and several larger ones. Stoves and lanterns out the wahzoo. And sleeping bags rated from 40F to -5F.

Mrs. C and I are planning a couple of overnight trips on the Ural in late spring/early summer, so I probably won't need to use a lot of the light weight gear. Heck, I can haul a Coleman two burner along on that beast. And a real coffee pot.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #22

cheesy that is awesome. My two biggest fears about restarting camping after a 30 year break is Bears and how to get my coffee. Neither worried me when I was 17.

I have a couple of great buddies who are accomplished backpackers. One is a ski patrol outdoorsy dude, the other takes his Quad everywhere in maine on camping trips.

I'm going to drag them with me.

Old 01-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolclass View Post
cheesy that is awesome. My two biggest fears about restarting camping after a 30 year break is Bears and how to get my coffee. Neither worried me when I was 17.

I have a couple of great buddies who are accomplished backpackers. One is a ski patrol outdoorsy dude, the other takes his Quad everywhere in maine on camping trips.

I'm going to drag them with me.
The bears don't bother me, nor any of the wildlife. What got me "graduated" from bike camping is my racked chassis. Sleeping on the ground is just no longer an option.....especially with a bladder that's working on it's 59th year. That's a LOT of trips to pick my sorry butt up off the ground all night...especially after a few beers around the fire. ;-)

The last time we bike camped, we'd camp for a night, hotel the next, camp the next, hotel the next. That worked ok. At least I got a hot shower and a good nights sleep every other night.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-26-2017, 11:18 AM   #24

[QUOTE=2LZ;241493]The bears don't bother me, nor any of the wildlife. What got me "graduated" from bike camping is my racked chassis. Sleeping on the ground is just no longer an option.....especially with a bladder that's working on it's 59th year. That's a LOT of trips to pick my sorry butt up off the ground all night...especially after a few beers around the fire. ;-) QUOTE]
Don't know why I'm laughing because i just made 59 yesterday. I know exactly what you are talking about. But I don't let it stop me. I just keep pushing myself until parts start fall off.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #25

[QUOTE=JerryHawk250;241498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
The bears don't bother me, nor any of the wildlife. What got me "graduated" from bike camping is my racked chassis. Sleeping on the ground is just no longer an option.....especially with a bladder that's working on it's 59th year. That's a LOT of trips to pick my sorry butt up off the ground all night...especially after a few beers around the fire. ;-) QUOTE]
Don't know why I'm laughing because i just made 59 yesterday. I know exactly what you are talking about. But I don't let it stop me. I just keep pushing myself until parts start fall off.
Whippersnappers!

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 PM   #26

[QUOTE=cheesy;241517]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post

Whippersnappers!
It ain't easy being Cheesy
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel