Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 PM   #16

Good luck

Old 07-26-2007, 03:09 PM   #17

Almost finished the wedding gift for Saturday, I'll be done today.
1 More day of painting to pay for a spoke wrench, gas, and coffee.
The 2 dates I have for a go are July30, and Aug13. The second date is better because my brother won't have his kid, and he'll have more money. Kato is sending a solenoid and I want to strap it in and test it. I don't know if my bulb problem is solved, I think it is, but I haven't been riding much because of working and getting parts and fixing. I feel like parking my bike in a plasic bag and leaving it there, I don't think I can get it running any better, or faster. If it's still running for next season I'd change the seat, get a bigger tank and working petcock, the chrome bubble light that I want, but now I'd concider new rims and brakes. I had a back drum issue that I think I solved, and I think my front disk is warped slightly. The wheel still spins freely, but really noticable backing up the bike. I'd re-do the disk and try it before going further. Once I have the cash, parts and tools I'll have the time to do some testing before I go. I want to do what I can to better my chances of making the trip fun, and to come back on a better bike than I started with.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:39 AM   #18

07/30/07
I don't know how you guys can stand talking to new 2 riders. And I'm SO new.
Ambassador-You Made My Day! Thankyou for your call. I was at an unusually low bike moment.
Kato/ Thanks again. Solenoid died today. Now it works 1 in 10.

I was doing highway speed tests today. Raising needle, test. Dropping needle test. Getting hot, then idling. Air/fuel mix tests. Then bike stops on the highway. I thought it was my carb? Well that is what I worked on last so...

Can't get it started, my solenoid is dying so I start kicking, and kicking. I got it going for a bit then it stops. Kick and kick, ride for a bit then stops. I said to myself, I've read a posts about this.

I open the gas cap ala Fatboy 250, and kick. No use. Dirt in carb, likely, but I can't strap tools on the back since one of my bungies got pulled into the countersprocket case. I can't get the seat off. So I pushed the bike a couple miles to a gas station. I buy water because I'm boiling, and call the wife and tell her why I'm late. I kicked and kicked but couldn't start it. I pushed it the last 3 miles home. Thats when I undo the gas cap, look in, and see that it's empty. It might not be the only problem I got, but man it was bone dry. I need a tank/ :x

My brother got the dates that he has his kids mixed up. Now the trip is a go for Aug,3-7. Sooner is better for me. Ob1, I tried 1 notch up on the needle, and stock position, but bottom notch was working best just before my bike stopped working on the highway. Maybe I gave back the 112 too quickly? Still the 110 is sweet after the Mods compared to the 106. Best part of the 90 Km I did today was that no bulbs blew .

Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM   #19

You should probably get that solenoid before you leave. Hopefully that will fix the problem with the starter.

Allen

Old 07-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #20

I got a blown bulb. :(. I'll take lots of spares when I go. More testing today on the carb. My bike is running too rich I think, but what do I know? I have to finish my neighbors kitchen and get more supplies tomorrow, oil, bulbs, bungies, spoke wrench. You know, even if the bike doesn't make it, at least I can say I tried. I'm really looking forward to giving it a shot. 8)

Old 08-01-2007, 12:59 AM   #21

I got oil, bulbs X 12, bungies, and another spare fuse. 10:30 tomorrow I get my BPR5HS Non-iridium spark plug. Throttle chops and tuning for tomorrow, I'm gonna solder in a new emergency front light. Low wattage night light for the side of the road, doesn't run down battery. The bike came with one but it disintegrated. Couldn't find a spoke wrench, but I saw Frosbites tire irons today, there are curved ones as well. I didn't get them because they were about 20$ each. I'm thinking about getting a can of puncture seal. I mean it's supposed to work, right? It's about the price of a single tire iron.

I'd be really ticked off if I only get 10 Km down the road and the bike dies. I came out of retirement to do manual labor to by bike parts for this ride. Well, also to have a better, safer bike. :wink:

Old 08-01-2007, 10:59 PM   #22

I'm leaving on friday the 3rd.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #23

N2R Your enthusiasm for bikes is so cool, I am impressed with how much You love what You're doing.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #24

Wife's not. :(
She's ok with anything I want to do. But you can't expect someone who doesn't bike to really understand. I'm gonna leave tomorrow before noon. I'd like to grease axels, swingarm and speedo gefore going, but I only have lithium grease, not molybdnium. Does anyone know if lithium is ok to use? I used the search feature and started reading through the old posts again but I couldn't find anything conclusive. :?

Old 08-02-2007, 03:34 PM   #25

dont put too much grease on the speedo cable, I made that mistake, since its a spring, the grease works its way up the cable and makes things go wonky... (it got better with time though)

Old 08-02-2007, 11:23 PM   #26

I thuoght that a powdered graphite was the best thing for speedo cables.
Might be mistaken.....Never had to lube one.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding

I'd like to grease axels, swingarm and speedo gefore going, but I only have lithium grease, not molybdnium. Does anyone know if lithium is ok to use? :?
Too late now. I spent the day tightening spokes, checking brakes and doing a really good once over. I'll check the mail tomorrow for the solenoid before I go. Even if I don't make it my bike is in way better shape now than before I started planning this trip. I'd like to thank everyone who bothered to help the new guy prep his bike. If it weren't for this site and the people on it I wouldn't go any further on my bike than I could push it home. I won't be able to push my bike home from Sarnia. :wink:

Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #28

Good luck, Watch out for everyone who is not watching out for You..

Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM   #29

You'll make it new2!

Remember...
A positive attitude always prevails! A negative attitude never does.

Enjoy!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 AM   #30

Have fun, but don't call me for a ride. Glad the solenoid made it in time.

Allen+