Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #1

I'm planning a ride in Ontario

I got an offer I couldn't refuse. I live in Toronto, and my brother lives in Sarnia. Not knowing what china bikes are like he said I should ride out and see him. 250km, or about, by main highway, longer by the secondary routes going through several cities. I've been painting neighbors' houses and selling my soapstone statues to get parts, tires, regulator, chain ect. and getting my bike ready to do a 1 day out, next day back trip. I told him that there is a good chance that my bike won't make it. He said he'd come and get me. "We can toss the bike in the trunk and tie it in", it's just a car but it's got a good size trunk.

I'm planning on highway 7 pretty much all the way. 80-90 kph, except for all the small towns and 3 large cities I'd pass through, lotsa gas stations. If 3 weeks from now my bike is running like it was this morning, I should be set to roll. There and back is about 600km. on the secondaries, and adding 100 km riding around Sarnia, well I'd have something to talk about all winter.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM   #2

Think positive. The bike will make it. At least the speeds are comfortable for a china bike.

Allen

Old 07-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #3

have no fear i did 500 kms in one day with no probims except a sore butt

Old 07-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #4

Well that 42t sprocket will get you there a little faster...
Sounds cool, good luck and have fun...

Old 07-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #5

You will make it, Sounds like a nice trip....ENJOY

Old 07-20-2007, 11:26 AM   #6

As for the upgrades I'll start with the main jet. I had a 106, on a pz27 carb. Got a 112, and a 110, and was told try the 112 first and work backward. I swapped it in and gave some throttle.....coughs.

I dropped the carb again and plugged in the 110, slapped it together and fired that up. No coughing, but when I tested it on the road, the bike started to stumble right near the top of the throttle. I still have the 110 in the carb but I need the 108. 106 stock is only a little too lean, and the 110 is a little too rich. Now at least I know what to do, and how to do it.

I got my chain and the first thing I did put on the master link and tried to put it on the front sprocket. I hate being new. :oops: I lost the stock master when I popped off the stock chain, so when I took off the D.I.D. master I was very careful. I threaded on the new chain and it fit perfect. I clipped on the master, and called that job done.

The tires were easy, and are the nicest thing I've done for my bike. I was supposed to get Duro-Blvd's, I got Kenda Challengers. I don't know the difference but the Kendas' were more expensive, of course. I left the shop carrying 2 wheels, 2 spare tires, my chain... and got on to the street car, broke. That's bike love man. Did all the work last night. It was late and dark, so when I heard something not right with my front tire, I cut the ride short and waited till this morning. Pulling my bike out in the sun this morning I see that the front tire is wider, and it's rubbing on the front brake cable holder. I bend it out an inch and presto, job done.

I'm still running a little rich, but that issue is easily solvable, as for the ride with the new tires, sweet. Oh Ya, no bulbs blown yet.

Well I'm closer to my goal. I'm still doing work. I got my parts, but a ladies kitchen isn't quite done yet. I'd rather be riding than painting so here I sit, typing. HA :roll: Thanks for the incouragement guys. I do think my bike will make the trip, I wouldn't attempt it if I had real doubts. But since things happen on a bike I'm just trying to cover my bases. I got pics of the upgrades, but since I'm on dial up, they have to wait. I have got to get going and make some gas money. Price was $100 bucks a tire and 35$ per to put them on. The Duro's were cheaper than the Kenda's, so I got a bit of a shock when he said 347.11. The mechanic, not the owner is my guy, he pulled me asside and gave me the carb jets, from his private stock. I'm to return the ones I don't use to him. Pretty cool. He couldn't believe I had to change my tires. When I told him I got 2400k out of the stock tires, he almost passed pop threw his nose. He got a glazed look on his face when I said, "Imagine if I get another season out of it?" The China bikes he works on are all 50cc kiddie bikes. I'm the only guy who walks into the shop knowing what I need to get for my chinabike. Thanks again guys, it's hard to communicate just how much fun I'm having. I don't want to think about what my experience would have been like with out your help. First time riders probably shouldn't get these bikes unless they have the time to learn, wrench and ride. I am new. I'm trying to learn everything I can, as fast as I can. But I really like wrenching and learning. 1/3 of the experience is the riding, and I had no idea. Not the cool part. The out of the city, no cars around. 90km so the bugs don't leave welts when they hit. Yelling at the top of your lungs with no one to hear because you are so happy to be there feeling. Spiritual is the only word that I can come up with. Well Thanks is all :wink:

Old 07-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #7

Quote:
I dropped the carb again and plugged in the 110, slapped it together and fired that up. No coughing, but when I tested it on the road, the bike started to stumble right near the top of the throttle. I still have the 110 in the carb but I need the 108. 106 stock is only a little too lean, and the 110 is a little too rich. Now at least I know what to do, and how to do it.
When increasing main jet size its almost always necessary to increase airflow (read: new air filter and maybe exhaust if the change is big enough).

More fuel=more air unless the bike is lean from the factory. Most of the china bikes arrive a bit on the rich side if this forum is any indication.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-20-2007, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2riding
As for the upgrades I'll start with the main jet. I had a 106, on a pz27 carb. Got a 112, and a 110, and was told try the 112 first and work backward. I swapped it in and gave some throttle.....coughs.

I got my chain and the first thing I did put on the master link and tried to put it on the front sprocket. I hate being new. :oops: I lost the stock master when I popped off the stock chain, so when I took off the D.I.D. master I was very careful. I threaded on the new chain and it fit perfect. I clipped on the master, and called that job done.

The tires were easy, and are the nicest thing I've done for my bike. I was supposed to get Duro-Blvd's, I got Kenda Challengers. I don't know the difference but the Kendas' were more expensive, of course. I left the shop carrying 2 wheels, 2 spare tires, my chain... and got on to the street car, broke. That's bike love man. Did all the work last night. It was late and dark, so when I heard something not right with my front tire, I cut the ride short and waited till this morning. Pulling my bike out in the sun this morning I see that the front tire is wider, and it's rubbing on the front brake cable holder. I bend it out an inch and presto, job done.

I'm still running a little rich, but that issue is easily solvable, as for the ride with the new tires, sweet. Oh Ya, no bulbs blown yet.

Well I'm closer to my goal. I'm still doing work. I got my parts, but a ladies kitchen isn't quite done yet. I'd rather be riding than painting so here I sit, typing. HA :roll: Thanks for the incouragement guys. I do think my bike will make the trip, I wouldn't attempt it if I had real doubts. But since things happen on a bike I'm just trying to cover my bases. I got pics of the upgrades, but since I'm on dial up, they have to wait. I have got to get going and make some gas money. Price was $100 bucks a tire and 35$ per to put them on. The Duro's were cheaper than the Kenda's, so I got a bit of a shock when he said 347.11. The mechanic, not the owner is my guy, he pulled me asside and gave me the carb jets, from his private stock. I'm to return the ones I don't use to him. Pretty cool. He couldn't believe I had to change my tires. When I told him I got 2400k out of the stock tires, he almost passed pop threw his nose. He got a glazed look on his face when I said, "Imagine if I get another season out of it?" The China bikes he works on are all 50cc kiddie bikes. I'm the only guy who walks into the shop knowing what I need to get for my chinabike. Thanks again guys, it's hard to communicate just how much fun I'm having. I don't want to think about what my experience would have been like with out your help. First time riders probably shouldn't get these bikes unless they have the time to learn, wrench and ride. I am new. I'm trying to learn everything I can, as fast as I can. But I really like wrenching and learning. 1/3 of the experience is the riding, and I had no idea. Not the cool part. The out of the city, no cars around. 90km so the bugs don't leave welts when they hit. Yelling at the top of your lungs with no one to hear because you are so happy to be there feeling. Spiritual is the only word that I can come up with. Well Thanks is all :wink:
That's it man, You have the fever it's great isn't it?

Old 07-21-2007, 02:37 AM   #9

More in, more out, more go. Fatboy250 instructed me in the fine art of muffler drilling. Increasing air flow without too much noise, by drilling through the baffles. I'm using a K&N? cone filter increasing alot of air "IN" instead of the stock air box. Have you seen my album in the gallery?

On the topic of my album, is it possible to get few more megs Mr. Frostbite? But, if it's alot of trouble, then don't bother. I can thin it out a bit and there is still a little room left. I'm just using it to keep a visual history of the evolution of my bike. Thanks if you can, but it's cool if you can't.

Old 07-21-2007, 03:00 AM   #10

how could you fill your gallery up??? mine has hundreds of pictures and its not full

Old 07-21-2007, 03:29 AM   #11

I don't know it says I'm at 54meg? I could be wrong? I'm new. I think you have 122 pics, I have a few less. Possibly my pictures are bigger? I don't know Jim. :?

Old 07-21-2007, 04:05 AM   #12

I still want to tighten my spokes, I'll take my tubes along. Ob1 suggested I raise the needle and re-tune the air fuel screw. I still want to test my bike after doing the repairs I just finnished. I'm supposed to have a piece of art ready for a wedding in 7 days and it's not done. I want to leave 2 weeks from today. Because I've been working for parts, and my regulator problem, I haven't been doing much riding lately. Just out to test what ever I've been working on :wink: . I go to Tim Horten's for coffee alot. The top of our street, another up by the mall, one in Burlinton, one in Barrie, on in Knobleton. Sometimes I just keep going to the next Tim Horton's a little further down tohe road.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:47 AM   #13

We just have staryucks around here.

Allen

Old 07-21-2007, 09:31 PM   #14

Ahh ok, I never knew it said how much space I used I resized all my images before I uploaded them

Old 07-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #15

I did too, but my camara uses about 4.5 meg per picture. 8O . And I'm on dial up. I will slim the # of pic's once I reach the limit.

I've had some electrical problems, but I think I've sussed them out. Down to Spoke tightening, testing and tuning. I'm really looking forward to this trip. I've hitchhiked across Canada several times, but nothing since meeting my wife. I'm due for an adventure. Just hope it's a good one.