Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Nothing like a bike in the kitchen. I have scrapped better too.
Obviously single.
When the weather turns colder, I change tires in my kitchen. 8O

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #17

ell doc!..an XT125 nice. vintage material. I say yes!. simple bikes to restore. very mucho like the CB125 design. I have lots of info on the electrics.. diagams n stuff. Thats if your a bit on the loose end of electron flow.

All your going to need is time!. patience.

A good bike breakers or even the ebay parts department. Knowing a bit about paints, a nice garage with tools. and lots of elbow grease.

My friend is a 600W mains drill called "edna" and her friends wire wheels. Plenty of lareg plastic containers. called the office. As ist old parts in.. and parts out, for renovation. A good vice and eye protection.

The idea is to get it stipped down to the fame only, then work your way up, renewing and or painting existing parts. One by one. Even repairs to the loom.

Once you strip the bike down, you will see how easy it is. and not forgetting. how to put it back toghter. I say Pictures!...lol

good luck doc. i hope you do. and dont set a time to finish chap.. just say when its done. Nothing better! in life to stand back and say. I done that!..

And thanks also acydrx. stance ehhh..lol.. as echoed. Go on. join the club! I just do it to prove to my self iam still alive..

Nice meeting you all.. hope all my pic`s speak a thousand words.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #18

lol. Doc a tap on your hands..my missus love me to bits. she said to me once ya know. i never met a more intresting bloke.

PS, she went shopping and the bike came into the kitchen..

Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #19

spud iam not happy with the plastic lens, got an idea tho. called heatsink tech.. known as alloy tape. Got to keep the temp down from the bulb... Really the only way to go is HID.. Unless i can find a lamp that will fit perfect in the plastic front, and used the glass, and metal lens. Iam going to move onto that after the engine mods.. also another mod iam going to do is the LED rear tail light. Tail tidy experiment.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #20

Oh I've restored a number of bikes, and cars for that matter.

Recent motorcycles include a '82 XR100, a '81 XS400, a '78 KZ400, a '78 GS750.

I forgot to even mention the totalled Ninja I did...

I can't find pics of the XR right now, but she was a sweetie.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #21

Here's the XR on Cl.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/1963151578.html

Old 09-23-2010, 02:31 PM   #22

wow doc.. i like alot..nice garage!.. hat off to you, a credit. Love the bikes. some great bits of kit.

Did you do the re-paint your self?

I did a 2K paint job on my bug, it was the biggest thing i`ve sprayed. Bare metal chasis. Amount of elbow grease that goes into is unreal. And i went down the Pearl base coat route as well. Not cheap at 25UKP a Ltr. love painting lots.. I m really good mechanic at heart, but my fist love is electronics. I do that for a living. SMD design. But i found that paint was a new hobby. Also i went into MIG and TIG welding also. All these skillz are of course, badly needed in restoration.

I am dagging to get my paws on somthin old. a old car.. perhaps.. nothing had tempted me so far as funds go. Owning a VW bug, i might move , when iam rich enuf to do a Type 2 (camper) but bring it into the 21st . But in keeping with hertitage of the old buses. Good electronics and engine tech.

Bikes are fun. and somthin bigger but older i would like next. Somthing extreme like an old T500 or even brittish..

The chineese route is an experiment for me..see if i can make a poor bike better. Power/paint/locktight..lol

Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #23

nice honda.. 125.. gona need a bit of a tear down and some parts. but it it will be a great little project. such a simple bike to do. New seat, repaint decals.. lights.. long as the engine is fine..

Old 09-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by satelliteone
wow doc.. i like alot..nice garage!.. hat off to you, a credit. Love the bikes. some great bits of kit.

Did you do the re-paint your self?

I did a 2K paint job on my bug, it was the biggest thing i`ve sprayed. Bare metal chasis. Amount of elbow grease that goes into is unreal. And i went down the Pearl base coat route as well. Not cheap at 25UKP a Ltr. love painting lots.. I m really good mechanic at heart, but my fist love is electronics. I do that for a living. SMD design. But i found that paint was a new hobby. Also i went into MIG and TIG welding also. All these skillz are of course, badly needed in restoration.

I am dagging to get my paws on somthin old. a old car.. perhaps.. nothing had tempted me so far as funds go. Owning a VW bug, i might move , when iam rich enuf to do a Type 2 (camper) but bring it into the 21st . But in keeping with hertitage of the old buses. Good electronics and engine tech.

Bikes are fun. and somthin bigger but older i would like next. Somthing extreme like an old T500 or even brittish..

The chineese route is an experiment for me..see if i can make a poor bike better. Power/paint/locktight..lol
You will enjoy the Chinabikes. Cheap, fun, worthy challenges, and some great support on this site.

Thanks for the compliment on the garage. I enjoy and pride myself on my modest mechanical ability. As far as cars go, I've restored cars from Caddies to Mustangs to a '32 Dodge and Fiats and everything in between. I like bikes better right now. Easier, but less profitable.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #25

well ive started the head porting, Noticed quite a bit of sharp edges and port miss match, The exhaust, for instance, the copper gasket was larger than the port exit. a fair bit of alloy had to be taked back.

you can see here, the black line of the carbon.

now ive got the copper gasket in and now the port opened up.

the ideal match would be the exhaust flange next.

the valves had a little work, fluting the base on the exhaust valve much more. Also a rounded edge was done.

the inlet, seems quite good.

still have a long way to go..

Old 09-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Nothing like a bike in the kitchen. I have scrapped better too.
Obviously single.
When the weather turns colder, I change tires in my kitchen. 8O

Spud
When the weather is nice, I'll cook in the shop!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by satelliteone
That's the best line I've heard in awhile.

What are you using for porting the head? Stones? Carbide burr? Sanding rolls? Nice work.

The photo of the MIG welder in the kitchen made me cry laughing!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #28

weld iam using a mixture , flap wheels and stones a 4 grades of paper. Getting the shape first, then finishing. Supprising really, how bad a lot heads are un-efficient due the restrictions in the casting. Too many sharp edges, all reflections taken out and free flowing. Makes quite a bit of CFM improvement. The valves too are key, shrouding in the combustion chamber smoothed out helps with reflection. Mixing on top of the piston.

I read hell of a lot from old tuners in the states, some tips and then applied it. Have some doc`s here on me comp, regarding flowing heads. Makes great reading. eg. about atomisation of air and fuel thu a tube. The side walls cant be to smooth. The exhaust needs to be very smooth.

Air and fuel mixing is quite intresting stuff..lol..

Old 09-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #29

Like you, I've done quite a bit of reading about porting and polishing, but I've only done mild work so far. I'm interested in trying a kit I saw that had all of the necessary bits from Standard Abrasives: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SAI-260001/?rtype=10

From what I've read, it's ok to make the exhaust bowl and port mirror-smooth, but the intake needs some texture for proper atomization. I've also read that one has to be careful about how much material is removed on the intake side; the goal is to smooth out the short-side radius and blend the bowl (and pushrod area if equipped). It would sure be nice if we could quantify the results on these bikes, so we know if we're helping or not.

How are you sinking the valve into the head?

On the 200cc engine possibility, do you have much of a supply of 200cc OHC Hondas in the UK? I've read that they're kind of scarce.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #30

just some updates,

Finished the engine, Porting done along with re-profile of the valves and a good grinding in. New head gasket, head torque to 23Ftlb with the special 5th head bolt at 15Ftlb. Valves set to 0.003in (3 thou).

Taken the emission control off, which is not needed in this country, All it does is injects fresh air into the exhaust gasses. Done by a 1 way valve. This reduduces exhaust Co2 by cooling. or adding extra air. Daft if u ask me. The carbs a set very lean in any case.

and the inlet manifold

Also my new CDI for the GY/CG engines. This has no rev limiter, and advances the ignition timming better. about 5-8 deg more. Unlike the retarded original. who sole idea is to restrict the engine. Also fits the GY200/150 models.. The GY6 engines (overhead cam) has a different model CDI.

more updates soon.