Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2017, 01:14 PM   #1

New rider from South Carolina

Just purchased the Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ. Old retired disabled veteran (1984-1987 USAF) from South Carolina USA just west of I-95 and right on the border of North Carolina. Been trying to get into scooters So far she is real good. I am still breaking her in but have hit upwards of 53-58 mph when doing a top speed hit. I do the old hit and run then ride low rpm slow runs. I have used the Rotella oil for the heat range and performance (being air cooled). I am getting ready to replace the plug and may even remove the air box to go cold air then add an after market exhaust.
I need to run 60 mph up hill with out killing the little GY6 so my goal is to have it top out 70-75 mph top speed.
I will not run those top speeds but need the power band to carry the scooter at 60 mph while having throttle to ride with. I live 8 miles between towns and those are 55 mph highways that I will have to run. I do not want to be a rolling road block . As an old hot rod builder I am looking into gears and tire ratios for the speed. Motor tweaks will be small and minor. I do not want to go quick but get to top speed and be fast. Being these things are fast out of the hole on take off I can give a lot of that back for some good top speed.

Chime in and give me pointers.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-13-2017, 07:19 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedehcheenuh View Post
Just purchased the Tao Tao Powermax VIP 150cc 157QMJ. Old retired disabled veteran (1984-1987 USAF) from South Carolina USA just west of I-95 and right on the border of North Carolina. Been trying to get into scooters So far she is real good. I am still breaking her in but have hit upwards of 53-58 mph when doing a top speed hit. I do the old hit and run then ride low rpm slow runs. I have used the Rotella oil for the heat range and performance (being air cooled). I am getting ready to replace the plug and may even remove the air box to go cold air then add an after market exhaust.
I need to run 60 mph up hill with out killing the little GY6 so my goal is to have it top out 70-75 mph top speed.
I will not run those top speeds but need the power band to carry the scooter at 60 mph while having throttle to ride with. I live 8 miles between towns and those are 55 mph highways that I will have to run. I do not want to be a rolling road block . As an old hot rod builder I am looking into gears and tire ratios for the speed. Motor tweaks will be small and minor. I do not want to go quick but get to top speed and be fast. Being these things are fast out of the hole on take off I can give a lot of that back for some good top speed.

Chime in and give me pointers.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Chuck I'm pretty sure I know you from a computer forum.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
Yes you do. This will let my computers fold now I have another hobby lol trying to have fun with this scoot and customize it just to have something to do.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-14-2017, 12:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
Advrider is where I recognize him from

Welcome to here Heedehcheenuh!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Advrider is where I recognize him from

Welcome to here Heedehcheenuh!
Yep the same me. Looking for all the forums to get knowledge from. "Knowledge is power!" lol

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

This forum will get you quite a lot of knowledge. Have you joined http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/ ? Probably the best scooter specific site as several members have sorted out the Chinese scooters and are getting ungodly amounts of power out of them. And don't let the name 'fool' you as it includes all size engines...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
This forum will get you quite a lot of knowledge. Have you joined http://49ccscoot.proboards.com/ ? Probably the best scooter specific site as several members have sorted out the Chinese scooters and are getting ungodly amounts of power out of them. And don't let the name 'fool' you as it includes all size engines...
Just signed up. Like I said "Knowledge!" Thanks.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #8

Welcome from the upstate.

I'm on advrider. Same user name.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

Welcome! Thanks for joining us.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-20-2017, 04:50 PM   #10

Changed the plug to the NGK and she runs a little stronger. Rode her Weds. on a 19 mile round trip and she made me sore a little for a day or two. But that is me not the bike. So my plans now are to get her broke in and find the gear ratio i want 15-16-17/36 to get the top speed needed. I want to keep the motor stock until time for a rebuild but will do the variator/belt/plug(Iridium)/exhaust/gear and cold air intake. Just get those gears first the tweak the variator to that sweet spot I need.

My old butt needs to get out and ride to get her broke in good.

Heedehcheenuh

Chuck D

Rid on.....

Old 05-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

Latest update. She is running fine. Found the tires needed to help the top speed 110/90/12 Michelin City Grips. Front tire but will use front and rear. The gears i have yet to decide on but getting to the selection will be fun. I want to have the gears/tires set up to get the motor in the sweet spot power range. then adjust variator weight rollers/sliders so i can ride around 6500-7500 rpm 55-60 mph (GPS).

Currently she runs:
2500-3000 rpm for take off
4000-5000 rpm for 25-35 mph (GPS)
8000-9000 rpm for 50-60 mph (GPS)
My 60 mph run was done tucked and grinning lol.

Chinese speedo showed 65-70 mph and i know that was not right. lol Wife followed me and she said she was running 56 mph and my gps showed 53 mph. (2013 Dodge Dart and it just could keep up with me lol j/k)

Chime in and have fun...
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heedehcheenuh View Post
Latest update. She is running fine. Found the tires needed to help the top speed 110/90/12 Michelin City Grips. Front tire but will use front and rear. The gears i have yet to decide on but getting to the selection will be fun. I want to have the gears/tires set up to get the motor in the sweet spot power range. then adjust variator weight rollers/sliders so i can ride around 6500-7500 rpm 55-60 mph (GPS).

Currently she runs:
2500-3000 rpm for take off
4000-5000 rpm for 25-35 mph (GPS)
8000-9000 rpm for 50-60 mph (GPS)
My 60 mph run was done tucked and grinning lol.

Chinese speedo showed 65-70 mph and i know that was not right. lol Wife followed me and she said she was running 56 mph and my gps showed 53 mph. (2013 Dodge Dart and it just could keep up with me lol j/k)

Chime in and have fun...
Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Your first assignment...point it in any direction at 55mph for 8 hrs and see how far it takes you

Motel 6 will leave the light on for you
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 05-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Your first assignment...point it in any direction at 55mph for 8 hrs and see how far it takes you

That is my plan..but my old body might not take it lol. I hope to make a run from home to the smokey mountains and survive. My R.A. (Rheumatoid Arthritis) is what holds me back truthfully but I am still young at heart and will try. I would be looking at a 4 hr ride min. from McColl S.C. to Cherokee N.C. if I am lucky 4 hr. I figure 6-8 hrs with breaks, fuel and grub.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

Old 05-23-2017, 09:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post

Well done BB

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 05-24-2017, 12:29 AM   #15

That's great to hear heed...get those buckets filled while you still can. And of course don't over do it. Object is to enjoy the ride! Be careful too.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~