Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2023, 11:40 PM   #1

Do the stock CDI boxes just suddenly fail ??

I see a lot of post on CDI boxes, and I was wondering if the stock ones just suddenly fail with no warning, or are there warning signs ? I take long rides way out in rural areas that the houses are few, and far between, and there is often little to no traffic on the roads. I carry gas, and some tools, as well as the stock plug with me, and I need to carry flat tire stuff, but is a spare CDI ,just to carry a good idea??
Thanks

Old 04-30-2023, 02:33 AM   #2

If you're riding solo anywhere remote a spare CDI and coil wouldn't hurt and are not particularity heavy or bulky items to find space for...

With further multiple day trips I would start to considered spare clutch/throttle cables.

Last edited by XLsior; 04-30-2023 at 04:58 AM.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:18 AM   #3

While riding my Lifan 140 powered Trail 90 near Scottie's Castle in Death Valley the engine suddenly quit running. I checked for spark and found none. Plugged in the spare CDI that I always carry and zoom zoom. Yes they can fail suddenly without warning. I carry a spare on all my Chinese bikes that will be ridden in remote areas.

Old 04-30-2023, 07:21 AM   #4

You can even carry it right where the stock one is. The top of the airbox area under the seat is a great place to store said parts. Out of sight, out of mind.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 04-30-2023, 08:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
While riding my Lifan 140 powered Trail 90 near Scottie's Castle in Death Valley the engine suddenly quit running. I checked for spark and found none. Plugged in the spare CDI that I always carry and zoom zoom. Yes they can fail suddenly without warning. I carry a spare on all my Chinese bikes that will be ridden in remote areas.
Another important point is that when you get your spare CDI, stick it in the bike to make sure it actually works. I'd feel pretty embarrassed to rely on a spare part that was nonfunctional. Like inner tubes with lightening holes.
1969 Honda CT90--The Tomahto
Cheesy is the WDK (workplace drama king). Now retired. Nope, back in the saddle.
Climate: The Movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24fWmNA6lM
How our government really works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjadCd0VRBw
Question all authority.....think for yourself

Old 04-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #6

I upgraded to another CDI, and keep the stock CDI on the bike as a spare.

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 04-30-2023, 06:15 PM   #7

Ya thats a good ideal,think I will get myself another one and keep old 1 for a spare.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:18 PM   #8

Stock CDI units and coils are reliable, people like to change them, because they can or they want to improve it a tiny bit.

I changed the CDI unit for one that's made in my country you can select a few timing settings at different rpms, you can set the rpm limit and it has a nive wire with a led that you fit it somewhere to see if you are at the rpm limits.
It needs a ignition coil with a plug with a 5k ohms resistor spark plug resistor.
So i got a plug a better ignition coil.

While that cdi and ignition coil has more features than the oem, i still carry the oem cdi and coil in the motorcycle tucked away in tools box. Due the single fact that oem cdi and coil are reliable units, maybe they are basic but they work for a long time..

That deosn't mean you can't get lemon but a lemon cdi is easy to spot very early on