Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2010, 11:23 PM   #1

I resisted on Friday. It was tempting. So if it is still there on Tuesday I am suppose to have it.

Only problem is that I will stick it away and take about 3 years to actually do anything with it.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
See Kato? You just needed a little prompting from your support group.
That's why we are here; we are "enablers."

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #3

"Enablers" sounds like we're trying to get him drunk. We're facilitators.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-31-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
"Enablers" sounds like we're trying to get him drunk. We're facilitators.
You can employ a euphemism if you like, but the end result is still the same.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

Yes it is really not a big deal here to go through just some time waiting... Not sure how the process would work in your state. Good luck at the mower pile

Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #6

With a bike that old. No problem at all. Bill of sale and $18 I would have a tag.

Jim, the one in the pile makes what you started with look like a new one.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #7

Yes the one I have isn't too bad off, I haven't done anything with it yet except the seat, still gotta finish the 350...

Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #8

We will see what happens tomorrow. Plan to go over in the morning. At least there is alot of china knock off parts for the CT 70.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #9

Well a local china bike dealer is selling motors for $130. 70cc, 90cc, 110cc, or 125cc. Now I need to decide if I want to rebuild the old engine, or buy a new one and put it in. I spent a bit of money buying a stock looking seat, I was planning on keeping the bike stock appearing. Changing the engine will end that. But that will also free me up from having to make everything look original, which could save some cash. Or I could do what Stew was going to do and put in a new engine for now and swap the old one back in later. The engine doesn't come with wiring, electronics or carb though. I would also need to choose the size. I need to consider the costs of getting the original engine going, versus the cost of the new engine and components. Opinions?

Old 02-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #10

I'd go with the biggest inexpensive Chinamotor that fits and save the original in a box in case the next owner wants to rebuild it for origianlity. Personally I'd rather ride and the Chinamotor will be easier, faster to implement, higher performing, and likely more reliable.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #11

Very good points

I don't know what the stock motor needs aside from stator components, so what it would cost to fix is an unknown.

For resale, if I put a Chinese motor in it, it's going to not be worth as much as if it was in top shape with stock parts, but I don't know how much it would be worth anyways.

Insurance wise, if I did it stock, it could have collector plates like the cl350 and have cheaper insurance. However having collector insurance limits where I can take it, I wouldn't be able to commute to work on it. As well, on such a small bike, insurance costs should be relatively cheap anyways. Also, if I had it as a collector vehicle I need to have a non collector vehicle insured. If I were to insure this regularly, it could be the normal insurance vehicle that allows me to keep collector plates on the 350.

I also want to get the best mileage I can out of it, but such a small engine, the 70 may not be much better carrying my weight then the 110 or 125.

The bigger engine would probably be nicer, but which would fit the bike best, a 110 or a 125. Stew put a 125 in his. I don't know if the engine guard bars fit with the bigger engine, or what else may need to be changed. As well, weld was mentioning problems with the higher compression possibly breaking kick start components, maybe the 110 would be a better choice?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #12

The other guys will know better but I thought as long as you're below 140cc you're OK. Sounds like the Chinamotor is what will work best for you.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #13

It should work I think. It would move things along quicker (once I begin working on it), however, it could be more costly. If I stick with the Honda, I know I need a stator kit and a 6v battery. My estimate is between fifty and eighty dollars. It may need more then that to run good, I don't know.

If I go the china motor route, I need a motor, a carb, a wire harness, a 12v battery, cdi, new lights, new fuel valve, and may need other components I haven't thought of. My estimate for that is between 200 and 250, but that's just pulled out of the air. $130 for the motor is really my only known cost. Definitely a deal on the motor though. Oh and I may need to modify the exhaust or get a different one.

Then again, if I use the china motor I could possibly make some money back selling the Honda motor if I don't worry about putting it back in.

I'm sure you guys may have noticed I'm a bit cheap... It was easier when I was broke, I have a bit of money now in the bank, not much, but I'm not waiting on a paycheck either. I do have money to pay off though but the bank won't take my money until next year now. Hopefully I will get my apartment paid off by the end of January next year. That's a driving factor of my thriftyness, I don't like to spend money I already owe on another debt. I also don't want to invest too much more into a project then I could get back when I'm done with it.

So to sum it up, the china motor sounds like a good easy solution, but I'm still on the fence due to the financial aspects of it.

I should add I need to check if they have the appropriate motor, I suppose I would be looking for kick start only, manual or semi auto isn't a big issue though. I don't know what they have available without electric start.

I wonder how fast the 70cc would go with a 160-190lb load on it (lower end is where I need to get back to after a lazy winter). The roads on the way to work are up to 70km/h.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #14

I think a 70cc will propel you to 70km/h. That is about 40mph I believe.

The exhaust will not line up correctly on the larger engines. You will need to make small brackets to move the rear hanger forward about an inch.

The engine bolts in though. Your stock carb will work on the 70-90cc okay. Will need a larger one for the bigger engines.

I would guess about 90-100mpg.

Personally I would go with a 125.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #15

I must admit I don't know much about the CT70. However, I am inclined to agree with Doc and Allen. I would install one of the new, larger, Chinese engines. As the old proverb states, "there's no replacement for displacement."

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220