Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM   #121

No, that could be very permanent. The float dropped too far because there was no fuel in it, and it got stuck there. As long as there is fuel in the carb, it should be fine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-14-2015, 10:53 AM   #122

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
No, that could be very permanent. The float dropped too far because there was no fuel in it, and it got stuck there. As long as there is fuel in the carb, it should be fine.
Ah, I see. My fault then, for running the bike till empty.

But...I ran my other China bike till empty several times (no fuel gauge, and I wasn't paying much attention then... ), and the sweet Keeway never experienced the problem after filling up again.

Design fault for the Zong's carb? Faulty float? Or simply faulty rider?

Now I feel bad for blaming my carb.

No wonder aliens never make contact with us.

-A Zong rider-

Old 10-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #123

It just happened, that's all. Move on.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #124

Send a message via Skype™ to jezzrite
Happened twice now. Guess the actual problem lies directly above the seat.

Thinking about buying the same carb from TaoBao to better understand the inner working and the art of jetting.

But, the thought of converting it to EFI just crossed my mind. Or not?

No wonder aliens never make contact with us.

-A Zong rider-

Old 10-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #125

I'd leave it carbureted. Much simpler. Jetting is not a black art.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:39 AM   #126

Hello Jezzrite.

First let me sat that I am not familiar with the carb used by Zongshen, but some things apply to all carbs.

1. It may be a bit of dirt holding the needle valve off the seat. Have you removed the bowl to see if there is dirt?

2. Some carbs have something to stop the float from dropping too far. On some designs if the float drops too far, the needle turns sideways a bit, so they have a tab the can be adjusted to keep it from going too far down.

With the bowl off, work the float with your finger with your other hand working the petcock so you can watch the action.

Good luck, Jay.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #127

Sorry if it has been discussed before, I couldn't find it

Does anyone know the standard jet sizes? We would like to compare what we get here to other countries and see if it is the same or not.

Thank you

Old 11-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #128

Fuel Line to carb Missing hose clamp

I thought I would post this here as well as the other thread as an FYI

One other note for bikes with a carb. I noticed last night when I was looking at adding an inline fuel filter that the bike does not have a hose clamp on the carb side of the fuel line An easy fix but a sloppy mistake on someones part. Jut an FYI for those with carbs to double check their bikes. The hose is a very tight fit to the nipple on the carb but thats when the bike is cool. When everything gets hot it may be a different story.

Old 08-16-2016, 12:47 AM   #129

Dear All,
I am a rider from Malaysia.
I have a problem that i need to release a handful of clutch during 1st gear before my bike can move. if not , engine will die off by itself.
any idea?

Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncheah View Post
Dear All,
I have a problem that i need to release a handful of clutch during 1st gear before my bike can move. if not , engine will die off by itself.
any idea?
How many miles/kilometers on the bike? How long since tune up?

Always start with the basics. May be as simple as adjusting idle mixture.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncheah View Post
Dear All,
any idea?
I had this same issue last weekend. 2900km on the bike with a fresh oil change to 20W50 oil. It only happened after a 150km ride with no real stops but varying speeds. As soon as I got back into town it happened at the first traffic light. Bike felt sluggish at take-off in 1st gear. Had to ride the clutch to avoid stalling. Bike is in for service now. Not sure when I will have a chance to duplicate the conditions but will try to let you know what the shop finds and how it performs later.

Jay, I never thought idle mixture could cause this. I assumed clutch or oil heat issue. Will look into that. Thanks for the input!!!

Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMike View Post
Jay, I never thought idle mixture could cause this. I assumed clutch or oil heat issue. Will look into that. Thanks for the input!!!
Mike, idle mixture affects the engine from idle to about 1/8 throttle, then the pilot jet is in play until the slide is opened enough for the main jet & needle to be the primary players.

If the idle mixture is off "optimum" setting and the idle speed screw is adjusted to overcome the improper setting, then it is common for the low speed mixture make the engine behave funny.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:35 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
How many miles/kilometers on the bike? How long since tune up?

Always start with the basics. May be as simple as adjusting idle mixture.
already 10k KM mileage on the big... last tune up was 3months back when i sent back to Mforce for engine head leaking, a famous problem we had in Malaysia. apparently the solution is to remove the screw on the triangle thingy ontop on the engine.
Will try to adjsut the idle mix with my mec this weekend.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:14 PM   #134

wilsoncheah "apparently the solution is to remove the screw on the triangle thingy ontop on the engine."
Can you elaborate on this? What were the bikes doing? leaking? where? oil or coolant? Whats the triangle thingy do? just curious, rj

Old 08-17-2016, 04:25 PM   #135

rj,

I have a recollection of reading about a problem some guys were having with their RX3 bikes. Perhaps it is the same problem that wilsoncheah has mentioned.

I think the gist of it was that the bottom and the top engine mounting (The triangular bit), were putting the engine under too much tension and pulling the rocker cover slightly apart. But it was enough to create an oil leak at this joint.

I think their solution to this was to fit 3 bolts of a smaller diameter, this would then allow the triangular mounting piece that attaches to the triangular mounting on engine, to sit a little lower.

yellow arrow = where the triangular mounting piece fits on to engine.

red arrow = the joint where the oil leak was occurring

Name:  Cyl Head.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  39.5 KB