Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Daeouse
Thanks for even more input!

I've found something:http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/4289142361.html

My roommate says we'll look at motorcycles tomorrow at the Salvage yard, where he swears they have a pile of decent motorcycles for next to nothing with titles available. I'm pretty decent with a wrench, and I have Google, so I think it may be worthwhile. Stop! Before you hit "Quick Reply" and type "Oh God! No! That's a terrible idea filled with death, fire, evil, and debt!" , remember: I'm extremely OCD, I know what a microfiche is, and where to get them, and I have a real motorcycle shop less than 20min away if I get in over my head.

Thoughts?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #17

Very few people, if any, on these forums will steer you away from the salvage yard. We are interested to see what you discover. However, the Zongshen bike in your link is grossly overpriced, and I personally wouldn't persue it.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-31-2014, 08:56 PM   #18

Agreed. I picked one up in similar condition for $250 last year, and it has been a terrific performer. $1200 is ridiculous.

You must be thinking of a different forum, if you're concerned about backlash because of shopping at a salvage yard. Most of us would be quite efficient enablers.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2014, 09:20 PM   #19

+3 on the above points. Don't get between Kato and a lawnmower pile for instance.

I also agree on that Zong. That one is not a Yamaha based one like Spuds, rather it's an ordinary Honda clone. A Hondoid.

Worth $400 on a good day.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:28 PM   #20

I don't even think it's a 'good day' for that Hondoid. The seller admits the bike is having problems idling, and the tail light is broken. In addition, it needs a new battery.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-01-2014, 12:52 AM   #21

Ah! I've always had people tell me to stay away from salvage bikes, along with horror stories abound about how its dangerous and blah, blah, blah. I'm glad to hear that's not the case here. I'm glad you all chimed in on that Hondoid Enduro clone, I thought it was just me who thought it was overpriced for what it was.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #22

I have actually bought a salvage bike. 1983 Honda Shadow 750. Only needed cosmetic items replaced. Bars, instruments, headlight etc. Also fork seals. I rode it and sold it for a profit. It was great bike that got 60mpg.

Not sure how FL titles salvage vehicles. Minnesota at the time was easy. It was a matter of a quick inspection to verify everything worked and a new title issued.

If you go the salvage route check what FL requires.

I would look for a honda, yamaha, suzuki, or kawasaki dual sport. Parts are cheap and they should be easy to repair. The big thing to look for is a bent frame. Look around the steering neck for cracked paint and check all the welds for cracks.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #23

There are 2 main ways a bike winds up in a salvage yard. Wrecked and neglected.

A wrecked bike, almost by definition, was RUNNING when it was wrecked. Assuming the engine was not wrecked it will run again. A bike like this may be a good deal.

A undamaged bike that was NEGLECTED may be harder/more expensive to repair.

Just a thought.

BTW my first D/S bike (other than the KLR's) was a 1996 XR250L that I bought in 1998. It was almost new but was 'wrecked'.

An Acerbis front fender, some Renthal bars, and a headlight/instrument cluster off an XL650, a seat cover, and a Clarke gas tank, a seat cover, and I was good to go. About $1,500 for the almost new bike, about $350 for the repairs and I had an almost new bike that I enjoyed for tens of thousands of miles.

Go for it!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
In my opinion it is unsafe to ride any 200cc, air cooled, carbureted motorcycle on limited access highways or interstate highways. If you want to do this kind of riding, you need at least a Kawaskai Ninja 250 or Honda CBR250R.

If the speed limit doesn't exceed 55 mph, the Roketa DB-05H will work for you. I have inspected the TMEC bikes up close, and they are decent motorcycles, but they are not worth $500 more than the Roketa DB-05H.
I ride my TMEC on roads that are limited to 50 mph, but w/o law enforcement, some cars are at 70+ mph, but most are at 60 mph. I had to go back to the 56 tooth rear sprocket, and it will keep up (or in some cases , hold up, LOL) 60 mph traffic.

The only reason I would consider another one is that I know my '09 model did well, and the '13 models should, in theory, be a little better. Plus, I have stopped by Excalibur in person, and they have always had the parts I needed. I bought it used without a side panel, and a month after I bought it, the ignition switch wouldn't work anymore (like I mentioned, I don't know how many owners the bike had been through prior to me, or how long it sat in the elements before I bought it--plus, the speedo cable was already broken, so don't even know how many miles the beast had).

I now have around 8,000 miles or so that I put on it. It is not the greatest bike, but not the worst. I might have overspent at $800 used since the guy had no one else to sell to since the bike is not California legal (they are definitely 49 state legal--I have seen the EPA list with all the '13 bikes that have passed EPA certification for street bikes, and Excalibur are not lying when they say 'DOT' legal), but that is my opinion. I am considering a new one simply because it would be mine from the beginning, and I could prep it properly, as well as lube the speedo cable (all Chinese bikes seem to have this problem) from assembly.

I would definitely get a 48 tooth sprocket made by JT Sprockets; the closest I have seen them offered is the UK. I had custom ordered a 40 tooth sprocket for my bike for $55, but with several chain failures, I believe the source was the sprocket. The JT one is close to stock as it is made in steel vs. aluminum, or alloy the custom was made from. There is one UK Ebay dealer selling them for $45 including shipping to the US. Again, that is my only planned modification if I get a new one--at least for now. I might look into one of the popular Ebay carbs that are advertised as 'mikuni' 30mm vs. the stock 'Sheng Way' 30mm stock. There is really not much else to do with the bike. As well, I don't know if I would go with knobby tires vs. the street tires. I do want to know if the knobbies are the 18"/18" front/rear wheels because I really don't like the look of the 21"/18" knobbies Excalibur shows on its site. The Denali bike seems to have the 18/18 setup, though, at ocalaatv.com

I do believe the asking price of the Denali is a little high, vs. ordering directly IMO, although you do need to do some assembly if you mail order. BTW, I spoke with the main sales guy, Alan, at Excalibur, and he is not familiar with Ocala ATV, but believes that they probably get their bikes from a company called mefast www.mefastmotors.com which makes sense since mefast is out of Georgia, and Ocala has a dealership in Georgia.

Anyway, I would say that TMECs are decent bikes for the price, and I can vouch for Excalibur. In fact, about 5 or 6 years ago or so ago, they used to bring in Shineray bikes like the one you showed on craigslist, as well as Roketa made bikes (similar to that $1200 one Spud linked). The Shineray-made Speedee had several people buy them who became members on Chinariders. Those members are long gone, but Excalibur are still in business.

The consideration factor--these are bikes that are decent bang-for-the-buck. They are not equal in quality to any of the Japanese brands. They are almost 'delicate' in nature, meaning if you are the first owner, you will know everything about it, but if you are a second or more owner, you will not know this. I would personally buy another TMEC simply because I could get one on the road for about 10% what a brand new compact car costs (on sale, lower-end model) meaning less than the down payment on such a car. I ride mine year round 32 miles round trip Monday through Friday to work and back.

If you are planning harder riding, consider a higher-end Chinese enduro (Qlink or SSR) although much, much more out of your range, or a used Japanese dual-sport. Of course, the best deals as Spud and Doc mentioned can really only be found in the Northwest based on the Craigslist I peruse including L.A. to S. California and Yuma and Phoenix (about my realistic range of purchase). There are lower-priced dual sports, such as $1500 Yamaha XT 220's, but those are often 1989 to 1993 models.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-01-2014, 02:12 PM   #25

@_@
That's some stellar feedback culcune! I shall definitely keep it under consideration! I don't know why, but I'd feel like a jerk bashing their asking price down at a dealership. . . maybe I'm too timid. LOL
I'm going to keep my eye on that Craigslist ad and if its still there around tax time, I'll offer him around $600. It's more than fair, I think, based on the above advice from Spud and Doc.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #26

I sold my last HSUN 200 in like new condition with no cosmetic or mechanical issues with about 750 miles on it for about that. It was a nice bike that I had personally worked the kinks out of. I hope it will provide Melody (the gal who bought it) with a long and happy service life.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeouse View Post
@_@
That's some stellar feedback culcune! I shall definitely keep it under consideration! I don't know why, but I'd feel like a jerk bashing their asking price down at a dealership. . . maybe I'm too timid. LOL
I'm going to keep my eye on that Craigslist ad and if its still there around tax time, I'll offer him around $600. It's more than fair, I think, based on the above advice from Spud and Doc.
I wouldn't consider it 'bashing' the asking price down, lol. Call Excalibur and see what they can get you one directly for (just for your own research), including shipping.

If you can get the Zongshen for $600, that would be your best deal, although you will need some things for it. Batteries can be mail-ordered for pretty low prices, although I don't know if the taillight is simply a bulb or something more. Idling? These things never idle correctly, LOL.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 02-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I wouldn't consider it 'bashing' the asking price down, lol. Call Excalibur and see what they can get you one directly for (just for your own research), including shipping.

If you can get the Zongshen for $600, that would be your best deal, although you will need some things for it. Batteries can be mail-ordered for pretty low prices, although I don't know if the taillight is simply a bulb or something more. Idling? These things never idle correctly, LOL.
Ok.

As for the idle, have you considered looking at the jets in the carb? Just a thought.
It reminds me of an issue I had with my Motorized Bicycle I built that had a similar issue, and I needed to fiddle with the carb and allits components to get it running smoothly. My 2 cents. . . LOL
Anyways! Looks like my roomie and I will be going to the Salvage Yard next weekend, so we'll see what's there!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I linked to Excalibur on mychinamoto.com;

There is a dealer in Florida selling TMECs as Denali-TMEC. They are called Ocala Atv in Morristown. I don't know Florida, so don't know how close or far they are to you. www.ocalaatv.com. They are listed at $1899, which is getting further out of range for you, but I would negotiate down, and out the door. I am not a fan of the lettering they put on the bike.
I just so happened to call them today myself... No one answered the phone after 10am on a saturday so I thought it kind of funny.

Tried back again a little later and some guy answered the phone with a "hey" and nothing else.... asked if he was Ocala ATV and he said yes.... kids screaming in the backround and a tv on.... he said he has the shop phone sent to his house to answer.... sounds fishy to me

Asked about his "Denali" version and claims he designed them and sells them... I asked how much to ship it to SC and he had no clue at all.... asked him how he ships and he had no clue at all.... VERY fishy

He said he could meet me in Atlanta next week and give me one if we meet somewhere there.... EXTREMELY fishy

in my humble opinion..... RUN RUN RUN RUN FAR FAR FAR FAR away and do not deal with this guy.... do not send him money or try to make a deal with him!!!

He said it was better if I meet him and get the bike that way.... obviously this guy is running a home business... that is IF IF IF he even has a TMEC to sell you or he just takes your money

He ummmm wanted the money before meeting me in Atlanta too..... I think that says it all folks

Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #30

Besides, his bike is more expensive than ordering directly from Excalibur. He might not be lying about 'designing' the bike--as far as the graphics go. The actual bike is a cloned xr 125 motard that is sold in Europe. You can Google image them, or find them on a European country's Honda site.

He probably gets them from a distributor called mefast www.mefastmotors.com (who is out of Georgia) who get them from Excalibur.

I don't think Ocala ATV is a scam, but it does sound like he is running it out of his home. It might be worth a look if you can actually get to him in person(I don't think he is a mail-order outfit) just to see one before purchasing it (not that you have to buy from him). My guess is that he does not want to drive clear to Atlanta without cash in hand, but that is definitely not the way I would want to do business if I was interested in purchasing a bike.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150