Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #1

Skyteam V-retro (raptor) 250 owner

Hi
I'm based in Australia and just purchased a skyteam v-retro 250. The V-retro is known as the v-raptor everywhere else!

I have a bike with the black colouring and call it the black wombat - coz it has a big rear end and doesn't move too fast! Unfortunately, like a wombat it has also been hiding out in the dark a bit too much of late. I've had some trouble getting it started. I ran it for about 15 km's then couldn't start it.

I've checked the spark plug (still throws a spark) I've tightened all connections around the carburettor. I've even taken it to a mechanic to tune. It then ran for about 10 km's, and then wouldn't start again.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems or can suggest solutions for what I can do to get the black wombat out of the burrow and onto the road!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:17 AM   #2

Hi,
Welcome. Nice to see you found the way here Could you take some close pictures of the engine and carberator on both sides? Then I could compare to see if any of the fuel lines are hooked up the same way on my bike.

Eric

2012 Skyteam V-Raptor 250
2011 Yamaha Tenere XT 660Z abs
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
1989 Kawasaki GPZ 500

Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #3

Welcome!
Did you check the spark right as the engine quit, i mean in operating temperature? If not, it could be the ignition coil that fails when it's hot. Did the bike start again when it's cooled down?

Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #4

if you have a spark, is it fat and blue or orange and weak?

do you have enough petrol in the tank? does it flow into the carbie? that would be the second thing to check if you do get a good spark.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #5

Wow, thanks for all the responses. It is night here and my hope is to take the bike back to the mechanic to have another look, hopefully get it running again. I really have no tools or experience with bikes. I will take all your suggestions with me.

There have been a lot of naysayers here in Australia with regard to Chinese bikes. Of three local mechanics, two would not even look at my bike! I imagine the same thing would of happen with Japanese bikes when they first started production.

I'm interested to hear from members who have had the v-raptor on the road for a while. Is it true one can use Honda CRF230F engine parts?

How would this motor go as a replacement? http://www.crossfiremotorcycles.com/...engine-4t.html

Last edited by overlander; 06-24-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #6

I've had the same thing happen to me here in Germany also. A Kawasaki or Suzuki dealer didn't even want to do an inspection and check the valve clearance. Luckily I found mechanic in my town that is specialized on chinese scooters an bikes.
The Skyteam 250 engine actually has 223cc. Honda has for example the FTR 223.
which is the same engine as far as I know.

http://image.rakuten.co.jp/hatoya/ca...8ftr223dxm.jpg

2012 Skyteam V-Raptor 250
2011 Yamaha Tenere XT 660Z abs
1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic
1989 Kawasaki GPZ 500

Old 06-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #7

Has anyone removed the exhaust baffle? When my bike was running, my neighbour came over to check it. He said it "looked like a harley, sounded like a postman's bike!"

There is a company in Australia that do a custom version of the v-retro (raptor). They call it the black betty

Last edited by overlander; 06-24-2013 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add more info

Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Welcome overlander!

With the experience I've had with that engine, I'd say one or both of the valves are too tight. Setting valves is quite simple on these engines: http://hondacg125.awardspace.com/valve_clearance.htm Even if the valves aren't the problem, it's good to know how to set them properly.

Trailbikeryder, thanks for telling us about the FTR223; I was unfamiliar with that model, and I didn't realize that Honda produced the CG-style engine beyond 125cc.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #9

Hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander View Post
There have been a lot of naysayers here in Australia with regard to Chinese bikes. Of three local mechanics, two would not even look at my bike!
Welcome to the forum. I am subsribed to a guy on Youtube with the same name.

I had the same problem. One mechanic even screwed up my stator. If you can find somebody who you can trust (you can always try a Suzuki sticker ) or you'll just have to learn how to do it yourself. It's not that hard but it takes patience. I agree with Weld check the valve clearance just to make sure. You will learn a lot in short time, plus you'll save money.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:07 PM   #10

I will print that out about the valve clearance and take it to the mechanic.

Yes, I make videos Pliskin, just back in Australia after near two years abroad. last place I went to was Cuba (loved it)

At some stage I hope to start making videos around Melbourne on my bike! Melbourne is represented by 70 different cultural cuisines, I want to try a meal in each countries restaurant, and make a video for each.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

The mechanic can't fit the bike in today, had to forfeit the $41 booking fee with vicroads. He reckons if it was the valves he would not have been able to start it previously and it would have coughed and spluttered. The bike will have to sit in the garage now until I find time to get back here and find someone to get it running or buy tools and learn zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance myself

Old 06-25-2013, 12:32 AM   #12

Welcome! We are glad you joined us.

You definitely came to the right place. We have many knowledgeable, helpful members on these forums.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #13

Wow nice to chat with you Overlander.
I love watching your youtube videos, they are very entertaining and educational. That tale in Cuba getting stuck for 5 days was very interesting. Communism best system in controlling nations, probably invented by freemasons. That's a great story that you are going to make. Hope you are going to get your bike on road soon. Keep us posted and people on this forum will help you. They helped me.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:23 AM   #14

Hey overlander,
We're not so many Skyteam V-Raptor around here. I think only me and Trailbikeryder from Germany "mingle about" (sort of) regularly.

If you want, check out our introductory threads:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=12049
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=10274

Now, to your not starting problem. Since you say you have spark, then it must be fuel related. Did you/mechanic check the carburetor?

Try to turn the starter for a few seconds with the spark plug cable unplugged? Then take out the spark plug and see if it's wet. If it is dry, then you have no fuel going into the cylinder, i.e. most probably carburetor is clogged somewhere.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:19 AM   #15

Thanks Pliskin

Yes Cuba was a drag with regard to the government, but the people are wonderful, a really fascinating mix of culture. The music is amazing.
North Korea on the other hand, now although they treated us like royalty, you could tell it was a failed system.

I will try Krasi_BG to see if it is fuel related. I was hoping to avoid having to work on the bike, I have a lot on my plate at the moment, but I can see I'm gunna have to learn some mechanical skills

Appreciate your help.

Tags
australia, skyteam, v-raptor 250, v-retro 250