Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #1

Weldangrind's Beast Mods

I finally got a chance to work on my Beast today, and here are some of the details.

I recently installed the new Mikuni carb, replete with a 25 pilot and 110 main. To complement the carb, I chopped the stock Beast muffler off and welded a flange onto the pipe to accept the Monster pipe that I bought over a year ago. I figured that the best way to weld the flange on was to drill a hole that's large enough for the pipe to pass through, and then weld it on the outside. The catch is that the pipe enters on an angle, so the hole in the flange needs to be an ellipse, like a slice of balogna.

This is the rough estimation of the pipe location:

This is the pipe as it passes through the flange:

This is a side view that demonstrates the angle:

I welded it together, ported the head pipe and painted the assembly. I used a nice fresh gasket. The last time I blew a gasket, it melted my winter riding pants. Now I use a new gasket each time.

I found an old XR200R heat shield that I like better than the cheap chrome junk. I installed it with stainless socket head cap screws:

I then filled up the engine with fresh Rotella T to the full mark on the sight glass:

For reference, here's the difference between the sight glass full mark and the cross-hatched area on the dipstick. In my estimation, there is nearly twice as much oil if you use the sight glass as a guide. The black Sharpie marks represent where the oil level is. This will likely apply to all Honda clone engines with a sight glass:

I installed the battery, hit the button and...nothing. Not even a click. :( I jumped the solenoid and the engine turns over, so it's not the starter or the battery. I plugged in another ignition switch and that changed nothing. I dismantled the starter switch and tested it; it has continuity. I checked the rear brake switch, and it has continuity as well. This really bums me out. Maybe I'll figure it out tomorrow. I haven't started this atv in 10 months, and I really wanna ride it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #2

I'd like to hear this muffler.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #3

Here is that same muffler on my beast

Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #4

i see we have the same make for our engines...

Old 06-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Here is that same muffler on my beast
I would also like to see it mounted. I'm about to mount a carbon fiber shotgun muffler to my 250...it should sound about the same.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #6

I'll throw a pic up later.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #7

Very nice write up weld, you'll get her up and running soon enough weld. Sounds like your close to tracking the problem down.

Btw man I'm going to be posting up new pictures of my quad with all the new mods

Old 07-29-2011, 12:40 AM   #8

Any updates on this weld? I hope we didn't cause the problem with it when we were using it as a reference for mine...

Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #9

This is giving me some ideas.

I am going to use and xr80 pipe on my lifan powered tractor.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #10

I will come over and fix your damn quad for you one of these days. I know you struggle with a wrench.

One of the 500 wires falling out of bad connectors on your quad is broken or disconnected. I will come with eagle eyes and a sack of pops.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:24 AM   #11

Promise? Don't tease.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #12

This problem has been solved. I'm SHOCKED it hasn't been reported on yet.

I don't want to steal W&G's thunder.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:58 PM   #13

Right. Lost track.

The ignition switch was the culprit. I would have picked up on that sooner in my troubleshooting, but I was using a brand new ignition switch for testing purposes. Turns out that even though the new switch has the same colours, it's wired differently. :roll: I repaired the stock switch and it fired right up.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #14

I received my new air filter in the mail, and I'm quite happy with it. Find it here: 42mm Air Filter Cleaner 250cc ATV Quad Dirt Pit Bike It's a perfect fit for a 30mm Mikuni, and it accomodates the battery box much better than the 15 degree Uni pod filter.

The element is made of decent foam and there is a strong internal spring. The element is well bonded to the rubber neck; it's much better than the typical China filters I've seen in the past. This filter is on par with a Uni, IMHO.

This is the assembly with the coarse filter over the element:

This is the element before I oiled it:

Here it is in its new home:

At $6.99 including shipping, I'm going to buy a few more to keep in stock.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #15

so your going to ride with us up at stave lake this saturday then??????

NO MORE EXCUSES! :twisted:

bring the wife with hers as well as the boy and lets make a day out of it .