Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

Best day ever/Worst day ever

went out on buffalo mountain (hatfield mccoy trails) yesterday, the bike was in top form and so was i.
i haven't been riding all that long so i'm not really that good... yet.
but yesterday was different, i was powering through the uphill switchbacks and sliding through the downhill ones like a pro. aligning the bike with the throttle, jumps, perfect gear changes and all. for pretty much the first time since i got it, i was KILLING it!!!
i felt completely at ease, even on the technical stuff. almost invincible, like i had finally gotten it down.

then, all of a sudden, it died... miles away from anything...
i checked my phone, no signal... i knew there was a verizon tower a few miles back, so i decided to try to push it close enough to get a signal. as luck would have it, it was stuck in the mud, and more mud all the way back.
so off i go, pushing it, stopping to rest every now and then.
if you have ever overworked yourself really, really, badly, you know how it can effect your stomach, you feel like you are going to throw up. so, i would push a while then stop, throw up, rest, repeat. this went on for about 4 miles... i finally get a signal to call the wife and my cousin, he gets my truck and heads up.
new problem... i know he can't get all the way to me... so more pushing is needed. around dark i finally see my truck in the distance, it was a thing of beauty for sure. (you have no idea how much)
we got it loaded and head out, stopping twice for more throwing up.

i made it home just after dark in one piece, but just barely.
i managed to take my bike out of there with me, and beat almost unbeatable odds... so now i feel invincible again... lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171124_134220.jpg (99.7 KB, 325 views)

Old 11-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #2

What happened to the bike? Flood the engine trying to get out of the mud? Run out of fuel? Total engine failure? Electrics/fuse fail? Did you forget to refill spiderbikes web cartridges?

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:02 PM   #3

Now for the fun part finding out what happened.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #4

web cartridges, that was a good one...lol

pretty sure it's the cdi, haven't had the chance to look at it yet.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

total power loss. like a bad cdi... dead with just the forward momentum dragging the engine...

Old 11-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo in wv View Post
total power loss. like a bad cdi... dead with just the forward momentum dragging the engine...
Spider webs got into the engine? If not, I would get out my trusty multimeter, and start right at where the wires come out of the cases. I'm sure you already checked that the key was still on, and that the red buttons on the right handle bar didn't get bumped with your hand while doing your best Enduro Champ of WV routine, and that the kickstand was all the way up, the gas tank valve was open, and that it did'nt just run out of gas. Now it has happened in the past that the magneto wire got pinched where it comes out of the cases. So make sure that didn't happen. I think this magneto operates as an ac circuit - but think is not the same thing as know, so maybe someone on here that KNOWS if it is ac or dc will chime in. I would check the input wire to the cdi first by rolling the engine over with the starter. No joy? Problem is somewhere between magneto coil in the crank case and the cdi. Remember, magnetos are always "on" until/unless they are grounded out. Now if you've got action on the cdi input side, check the output side, with the engine spinning, if you've got spikes of current there, check the coil, then the spark plug wire, and the spark plug again, which was the first thing you checked when the engine died, right?...ARH

Old 11-28-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

i replaced the entire wiring harness about 6 months ago, i didn't put the key swith and other non-essentials back in.
the cdi is about 6 months old too, and you are right, it takes the dc version. i checked the input at the cdi and found 12v.
have any of you guys had much trouble out of cdi's on these?
just wondering if the cheapest one may not be the best way to go.
are the more expensive ones really any better?

Old 11-28-2017, 07:10 PM   #8

U don't have a choice basically. Shipped from US = receive whatever seller's choice... No brand name & reviews from end user
---
Which DC-Cdi?
The porper 1 like https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=35646451418 (This brand sealed in some soft thingy that make repairable job easier...)
Or Jack of all trades (ie. chinese mechanic's favourite)

Old 11-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #9

this one.
i did notice the old ebay listing said 50cc to 125cc.
(GY6 50cc 90cc 110cc 125cc Scooters 6 Pin DC CDI Box)

could it burn out prematurely because it wasn't specifically for a 200cc?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p.jpg (3.9 KB, 657 views)

Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #10

Quote:
i replaced the entire wiring harness about 6 months ago, i didn't put the key swith and other non-essentials back in.
the cdi is about 6 months old too, and you are right, it takes the dc version. i checked the input at the cdi and found 12v.
have any of you guys had much trouble out of cdi's on these?
just wondering if the cheapest one may not be the best way to go.
are the more expensive ones really any better?
Good. Juice to the cdi. Did you check output? Because the next suspect in line is the coil...ARH

Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #11

Quote:
this one.
i did notice the old ebay listing said 50cc to 125cc.
(GY6 50cc 90cc 110cc 125cc Scooters 6 Pin DC CDI Box)

could it burn out prematurely because it wasn't specifically for a 200cc?
200cc. You mean this isn't a Hawk? I suppose it is POSSIBLE that the magneto coil is too strong for the wimpy demands of a 50cc - 90cc cdi unit, but I'm having trouble believing it. From my experience on manufacturing, 25 cents spent on a part at the wholesale price can make a world of difference in performance/longevity. China, even more than here, makes scads of "Just as good as - -" and "will fit" parts that are trash. ..ARH

Old 11-29-2017, 01:02 PM   #12

Were you able to located a CDI for this bike yet?

Old 11-29-2017, 01:13 PM   #13

no, it's a 2005 roketa GY5 with a 200cc lifan 163fml engine. they were know for being geared very low, tons of torque, for a mid weight bike.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #14

probably going with this one. and get a spare...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GY6-50cc-15...19.m1438.l2649

Old 11-29-2017, 04:04 PM   #15

I have a 06 roketa. Thats what i would get
1972 Honda xl250
2x early 90's Honda rf600 parts bikes
more mc junk laying around.