Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #1

Kamax

Kamax has been around for a while including Europe (Eastern and Western), South America, many other markets. Here is the lower rear shock mount on the KMX 250MT (2 stroke) enduro. See the alternative lowering mounting slot? I also saw this option on a KTM replacement shock. So it is not uncommon.

Name:  ShockMountKamax205MT.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  108.3 KB

BTW- it also has this 40hp 249cc Loncin liquid cooled 2 stroke engine with a 6 speed transmission

Name:  249cc2stroke.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  112.0 KB

All the lights and turn signals, battery, horn, so could be rendered street legal.

Name:  Loncin249cc2stroke.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  118.2 KB

Last edited by Thumper; 12-26-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:41 PM   #2

4-stroke or 2-stroke?

This youtube series includes balance exercises, how to dismount (not crash), and lots more useful stuff! It is Austrialia based. And this series of videos have excellent riding skills development videos. But I found this one to be exceptionally useful for understanding how modern 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines perform-generic differences.

I am leaning towards 2-stroke. I have two 4 stroke enduros, so probably selling one. A 450 4 stroke is the alternative to a 250 2-stroke (I can't afford a 300cc 2 stroke!)

BTW- I love the biceps on that roo

Old 12-27-2022, 11:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Kamax has been around for a while including Europe (Eastern and Western), South America, many other markets. Here is the lower rear shock mount on the KMX 250MT (2 stroke) enduro. See the alternative lowering mounting slot? I also saw this option on a KTM replacement shock. So it is not uncommon.

Attachment 28224

BTW- it also has this 40hp 249cc Loncin liquid cooled 2 stroke engine with a 6 speed transmission

Attachment 28225

All the lights and turn signals, battery, horn, so could be rendered street legal.

Attachment 28227
a 40hp 250 2 stroke sure sounds like a lot of fun
4 degree advance key
290 degree cam
Nibbi PE30 and cone filter

Front fork brace

Old 12-27-2022, 11:52 PM   #4

I like this channel for the various engine series. Here's the 4 stroke vs 2 stroke

- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility

Old 12-28-2022, 06:57 AM   #5

Razz

One big difference is the lighter weight of a 2 stroke engine. And that weight is removed from the top of the engine. This lowers the center of gravity in the frame.
So it's more agile. It makes the bike more "flickable" in tight situations, and easier to change trajectory even at speed.

Displacement closer to 300cc is supposed to increase low end torque dramatically. But you can do that during a top end rebuild (easy job on a 2stroke).

I am going for it. It is just a matter of when. I could do it today but working on banking good will

So I will sell one bike, or at least promise to. Getting it listed for sale locally should be sufficient

Last edited by Thumper; 01-17-2023 at 04:43 AM.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:13 AM   #6

Thanks Pete. That is a nice, complete comparison of 4stroke/2stroke engines.

That video shows the Yamaha power valve engineering to vary exhaust port size. The Loncin 249cc engine has a power valve. You can see the cam and control cabling on the port side of the engine. These cables are adjustable, so this means they can be tuned, but also can go OUT of adjustment! The Loncin uses the Yamaha power valve design, and there are videos on adjusting, or replacing them. Adjustment turns out to be easy.

The same exact Loncin engine is used in the KAYO. Piston/ring/gasket kits are available via AliExpress under $30. Cool!

Last edited by Thumper; 12-28-2022 at 02:49 PM.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:19 PM   #7

Not sure if I ever shared this, I always meant to get around to it. If you are going to get serious there is a progressive series of lessons from this channel to get your chops developed. This new series is to be about ten progressive exercises to practice when they finish.

- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 01-02-2023, 08:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
Not sure if I ever shared this, I always meant to get around to it. If you are going to get serious there is a progressive series of lessons from this channel to get your chops developed. This new series is to be about ten progressive exercises to practice when they finish.

Does your 6 speed TemplarX allow you to slip the clutch reversing a decent? I asked this in another post. Your training videos made me think of it. Also by the way fantastic training videos!!!

Old 01-03-2023, 07:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Does your 6 speed TemplarX allow you to slip the clutch reversing a decent? I asked this in another post. Your training videos made me think of it. Also by the way fantastic training videos!!!
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...&postcount=974
- #42 / #120 Jets

Old 01-16-2023, 09:07 PM   #10

What does Kamax have?

The demise of the 2 stroke dirtbike from the lineup of Japanese motorcycle manufacturers was a tragic slow death. This video provides some clues to why it happened.

But there is no mention of the GPX or Kamax Chinese 2 strokes. KTM and the other brethren GasGas, Husqvarna, etcetera are the torchbearers for the 2 stroke. It is a great story, and it ISN'T over!

The advanced engineering that goes into the new KTM 2 stroke engines is not available in the ancient Yamaha clones that are in the GPX and Kamax, but they cost half as much!

I like the comments about easy top end rebuilds! It's true. And also the lower weight of these engines still makes it the darling of the trials community. Pretty cool! And as long as you DON'T live in California, you can probably get away with riding them any time of year!

Old 01-21-2023, 09:46 AM   #11

4 stroke 250 from KAMAX

Here is an assembly video from KAMAX. It is their HMX250CB. This is an off road enduro, but they do have one with lights (same one!)... But it shows the overall construction quality. I wish we had an importer.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...294183349.html

As shown on the alibaba listing, that is indeed the Zongshen ZS172FMM-3A like we get in the Templar M and Templar base models. Zongshen allows client branding on their engines (like this one has). I like the way he just tilts the frame forward to connect the lower linkage on the rear shock.

Last edited by Thumper; 01-21-2023 at 10:45 AM.