Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2021, 06:39 PM   #1

No title/tags in Texas

I live in N.tx. Found used Hawk in OK that suited me. Paid cash received bike,Bill of sale, and MCO. First stop ins company. No problem. 2nd stop inspection paper. Good to go. Walk in Montague county tax office with MCO, Bill of sale,insurance card, inspection paper and Tx form 130U present and accounted for.
Whoa up there buddy! Tax lady says no can do. Tax lady calls regional office(Wichita Falls). Regional office says No way. I go home.
I call regional tax office. Nice lady sends request to the top of the food chain(Austin) and final answer is NO, Nyet,Nada, Not Now,Not Ever!
Reason given to me is manufacturer in top of MCO (Chongqing Haosen Motorcycle C., LTD) not on NTSHA list.
Call dealer on MCO (MSA Powersports). Am told "no problem. Come on down, bring fees, title/tags yours in couple weeks.
Now I'm more stupid than ever. Is dealer legit? Will title/tags be state issued? Or just money wasted(approx250-300 dollars estimated) in some scam?
I see other Tx posters have walked in county tax office and walked out with title/tags and a smile.
WHAT THE @#$%& IS GOING ON IN THIS STATE?!?!?

Old 12-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #2

The dealer (Txpowersports) that I bought my Tbr7 from took care of all my paperwork. I walked out with a paper TX plate and paperwork. Regular plate and title was mailed to me a few weeks later.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 12-31-2021, 12:10 AM   #3

How can a dealer obtain/provide a document the state declares they will not and do not provide?

Old 12-31-2021, 12:11 AM   #4

Correction. That the state declares they do not issue?

Old 12-31-2021, 07:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed P View Post
Correction. That the state declares they do not issue?
Like most government things, a lot depends on who you get and what mood they are in.

I’m thinking there are plenty of these plated in your state. You just had bad luck with it. Try again with a different government worker. Or.. Go through your dealer. Casually mention you got so frustrated by the state you made a post on the big online Chinese motorcycle forum.

I can tell you’re nervous about this not working and really upset. That’s natural. Your bike and dealer definitely aren’t scams though. I’d get started with them (use a credit card if you’re nervous about it being a scam still) and let them work their magic.

The reason it’s probably easier for them is they have done it so many times are are probably known to their local government officials

Last edited by Boatguy; 12-31-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:51 AM   #6

What surprised me is that here in Texas, you must have proof of insurance and the vehicle has to have a current vehicle safety inspection before you can get license plates, even on a brand new vehicle. Yet I was given paper tags, and later permanent tags, without having insurance (which I now have), and there's no way that a bike unassembled in a crate could possibly be known to be safe or pass inspection.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 12-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #7

Honestly, the tax office is small(3-4 women) working within arms reach of each other. What is said/done at each window is known to all. I couldn't start fresh even with "Groucho" glasses.
And,Not just my experience but many others, there is real "soup nazi" attitude there.
But it is my county of residence so I'm SOL in that regard.
Guess it's go dealer or go home.
Thanks for your info!

Old 12-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #8

You can always go the Vermont route .

Old 01-01-2022, 03:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
You can always go the Vermont route .
Not useful everywhere.

My state will not allow use on road without proof of insurance and an in state insurer can not insure a bike registered out of state.

Mix that with the requirement that all vehicles must be registered in the state within 90 days of residency and you have a big "no way"!

You would be illegal from the moment the bike hit the road. Either uninsured or unplated or both.

Old 01-01-2022, 03:53 PM   #10

[QUOTE=krat;370800]Not useful everywhere.

My state will not allow use on road without proof of insurance and an in state insurer can not insure a bike registered out of state.

Mix that with the requirement that all vehicles must be registered in the state within 90 days of residency and you have a big "no way"!

You would be illegal from the moment the bike hit the road. Either uninsured or unplated or both.[/QUOTE

You very simply transfer the Vermont paperwork to your own states ,not hard ,done all the time .

Old 01-03-2022, 07:13 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Bruces;370804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
Not useful everywhere.

You would be illegal from the moment the bike hit the road. Either uninsured or unplated or both.[/QUOTE

You very simply transfer the Vermont paperwork to your own states ,not hard ,done all the time .
Why would they accept Vermont paperwork if they won't accept Oklahoma paperwork?

Old 01-03-2022, 09:18 AM   #12

Clearly there is something wrong with the Oklahoma paperwork Krat or bike (perhaps an original Hawk that is not street legal everywhere?) ,the OP is trying to register a bike that is street legal in Texas and every other state except California .The OP has enough paperwork to apply for and receive a Vermont title ,and once he has that trade it for a Texas title .There are issues in a few states such as Ohio using Vermont paperwork ,but the bike in question is street legal in Ohio so it would be a go there too ,although an original Hawk would not .The only thing I know or care about Kentucky is the greasy chicken is delicious .

Old 01-03-2022, 10:35 AM   #13

Oklahoma isn't the problem. The manufacturer listed on the MCO is not on the NTHSA "approved" list they use as their bible.
My personal opinion is some palm has not been greased to get on "THE LIST".
All the safety requirements are met in regards to motorcycles. They are not built with bumpers, air bags, roll bars, etc nor are they required to be built out of some airframe worthy material. So why is a national safety board resourced as all knowing.
And I don't mean quality control. We all know what we're buying.
If this bike had a Japanese decal it would have everyone's blessing.

Old 01-03-2022, 11:26 AM   #14

I know that hawks can be registered here in Texas. I'm friends with one of the past members on the site that registered his here. There's also someone with a Raven 250 that rides his to work in the same building as I work in, but I haven't spoke to him/her.
2009 Q-link Legacy 250

Old 01-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
Clearly there is something wrong with the Oklahoma paperwork Krat or bike (perhaps an original Hawk that is not street legal everywhere?) ,the OP is trying to register a bike that is street legal in Texas and every other state except California .The OP has enough paperwork to apply for and receive a Vermont title ,and once he has that trade it for a Texas title .There are issues in a few states such as Ohio using Vermont paperwork ,but the bike in question is street legal in Ohio so it would be a go there too ,although an original Hawk would not .The only thing I know or care about Kentucky is the greasy chicken is delicious .
I must apolologise,I didn’t go back up to the top to check on which bike is talked about on this thread ,for some reason I thought it was a tbr7 ,but it’s actually a Hawk so it is Not street legal in every state except California .I will go sit in the corner now ,hang my head in shame ,and contemplate my lunch choices .