Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2023, 12:31 AM   #1

Strike one in PA

So I made my first attempt at registering my 2022 Templar 250 today. I went to the closest notary where I waited 2.5 hrs while the notary tried to figure out what to do with my MSO. He made 4 calls for help and in the end told me that he didn't see any way to title my Templar in PA. He went on about how the seller's signature, mileage, date of sale, etc. all had to be notarized and everyone would need to be in front of the notary. That or the seller provides an affadavit. Basically this guy was scared and didn't know his job very well.

I'll try another notary next week. To avoid any unproductive questions, yes, I had my "M" license, bill of sale, MSO, VIN verification, etc.

Old 02-25-2023, 02:57 AM   #2

Strike one for me in South Carolina. The DMV doesn't like the "off road" part in the MSO. At least I don't have any notary runaround added to the issue here. I've lived in other states where that was more of a thing and I feel for you there. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2023, 12:47 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm sorry for your bad luck also. You were screwed with that "off road" MSO. At least mine states "motorcycle". Better luck next time!

Old 02-25-2023, 01:19 PM   #4

Ya Pa. sucks,didn't even try to get mine legal.

Old 02-25-2023, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz View Post
Ya Pa. sucks,didn't even try to get mine legal.
Yes, it does. I was surprised but happy to read so many success stories on this forum about Templar registration in PA so I bought one. I'll try again but if PA doesn't want the tax revenue I hear that VT does. I also have an old MD plate I might slap on.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:51 PM   #6

go with the old plate. or not one at all. nothing for me.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:33 AM   #7

Just an FYI: https://mymotorcycleblog.com/registe...out-title-why/

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 02-27-2023, 07:48 PM   #8

I went to a different notary today and walked out with registration and a metal plate!

*HOME RUN!!!*

I also walked in with a Zuma CB250F and walked out with a Lifan CB250F so we'll see if PennDOT objects to that. They couldn't find Zuma in the online database so they went with Lifan.

Old 02-28-2023, 01:26 PM   #9

I asked for a different MSO/MCO and just got an email saying one is on the way. Fingers crossed!

Old 02-28-2023, 05:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I asked for a different MSO/MCO and just got an email saying one is on the way. Fingers crossed!
My MSO stated "motorcycle" so that part was good. The problem was that "Zuma" wasn't in the PennDOT database. If I learned anything from this experience it's that if the processor (notary, clerk, etc.) suggests a different manufacturer name than what's on the MSO, go with it. Tell them that they sell them under different names. PennDOT might still give me problems but it's easier for them to deny it than to take it back. I'll update when I hear something or get my title.

Good luck!

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 03-03-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Old 03-06-2023, 05:26 PM   #11

Strike 2 in SC. I know better than to go to the DMV on a Monday or Friday but I can't lie, starting to get a bit fidgety. Corrected MCO came in Friday so I had that.
Finally got called and some time contemplating how it might someone who appears to be approaching retirement age and spends all day long five day week on a computer can only type with a single finger. A few pebbles break loose.
She looks at the screen and shakes her head. Rumbles some actual rocks start rolling.
Calls for supervisor. OK, the ground is moving.
Supervisor starts looking at the screen and shaking her head. Full tilt landslide.
Says they can't do anything because the manufacturer isn't in their system. Rubbles everywhere and dust in the air.
Said they will call me when the name gets entered in at whatever level of central state bureaucracy where such things are done. Sorry, next!

Old 03-06-2023, 06:18 PM   #12

I thought red states placed individual freedom above the collective good? Apparently not always. That sucks, at least there's the Vermont option. In retrospect I wish I had just registered in VT since PA requires annual safety inspections on motorcycles.

They also allow adults to ride on the highway without helmets but if you go off-road you must wear one, even when belted into a SxS with a roll cage.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:02 AM   #13

Red states are immune to government stupidity? Pretty sure not.
I have fine DMV example. No safety or roadworthiness inspections statewide. If you can duck the highway patrol you can about drive anything with a tag. There's someone I see nearby with a Jeep Cherokee that's been rolled. The roof is cocked to one side and there's not a piece of glass in it. No lights of any kind on the front, nor a bumper. Got taillights and a tag. I've seen a 2000-ish Mustang in close to the same condition on the road. It's amazing.
In contrast. I bought a dead classic Mustang. A stripped rust pile with no drivetrain at all. To title it as a non-operative vehicle (project car) I would have to trailer it to the DMV and wait for a state trooper to show up to inspect it and verify the VIN. Why? No one knows. Simple end run was to insure it and get a license plate like it was a roadworthy vehicles. Two days later I canceled the insurance and turned the tag back in. I actually did exactly that. In talking to the insurance agent I got the impression they knew exactly what I was doing and it was nothing new to them at all.

Years back we had a guy who ran for governor who made a campaign promise that he would streamline the DMV. Unbelievably he somehow made good on it. I was literally blown away. The DMV I go to would have people lined up outside the door on Friday afternoons. I went on another day and there was one person in there getting a driver's license. My first thought was that I'd have to come back as the computers were all down or something and I'd have to come back. Nope, streamlined. Bang, boom, down and out the door. DMV people loitering waiting for the next person to come in. I still can't believe it. As long as he was governor it stated that way. No idea of the man's name or what else he might have accomplished but it was great for a while.
He was succeeded by Nikki Hailey who could care less about the DMV so apparently they wasted no time rebuilding all the bureaucratic barriers to keep citizens from breezing in and out of the DMV. And on Friday people are lined up out the door just like the old days. The current governor also has no interest, it was just that one guy that one time I guess.

The really stupid part is I could be trying to tag a full-on motocross bike or dune buggy with no lights at all that has no business being on the street and I could do it as long as the pieces of paper the DMV wants said the right things on them. Dumb as hell.

Old 03-08-2023, 05:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Red states are immune to government stupidity? Pretty sure not...
Dumb as hell.
IMO they set the bar that Ron Desantis then jumps over!

I got my title today! "Lifan" Templar CB250F

Old 03-09-2023, 03:17 PM   #15

Now. Got a phone call from as promised. On the bright side, they hadn't forgotten me. Downside is they wanted a photo of the actual VIN. (Really?) Mr. Prepared (ahem) already had one on his phone and texted it toot sweet. Return text said they were looking for a sticker. Like you see on cars with actual production date and a code for country of origin. etc. Eeesh. it doesn't have that and I told them.
The Vermont two-step is looking better again. But I'm trying my best to be all straight up and legit here.