Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #1

Zongshen GS-250 v. Kawasaki Ninja 250

I hear that the Ninja is the way to go for a beginner bike, but I am drawn to the looks/price of the Zongshen. Most people I talk to are down on it as a new, unproven company, hard to find parts, slower engine, air cooled as opposed to liquid, etc.

Someone that has experience with the Zongshen, please sell me on why I should overlook the disadvantages.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #2

I don't have a Zongshen, but I have a similar Loncin EX-200. You can read details and see a couple of pics here: http://brclarke.web1000.com/ex200.htm

I've never been on an EX-250, but I owned its big brother, a Kawi EX-500 for about 4 years and maybe 20,000 miles.

What differences would you see between the Zongshen and the Kawi. Essentially, the engine of the Kawi puts out at least twice the power. Being liquid-cooled, it can be revved a lot harder for a lot longer. A stock Kawi 250 redlines at around 105 MPH, and the Zongshen is near redline at only 60.

A lot depends on three things: what kind of riding you want to do, how much cash you have to spend, and how good is the local support? The Zongshen might be the perfect bike for you, but if there's no local mechanic or parts, that's not a good way to go.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:14 AM   #3

Hi sdevante

Where do you live?...State. Next I heard that Kawasaki is going to discontinue the 250 as of next year but it's just a rumor so far. I'm not positive about this yet just heard it.

Bruce
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 03-29-2007, 04:25 PM   #4

I've got some great miles on a 250 Ninja and what makes them a great beginner bike is that they have enough horsepower and torque down low that they are easy to ride but as your skills progress you can crack that throttle and unleash some serious HP (well, serious in the 250 world). The rev limiter will kick in at 124mph but with the higher tech comes higher repair costs.

The Zong 200 or equivelant will provide many happy miles on a rather low tech machine that can be repaired more easily. It's a great bike to learn to ride and maintain.

Zong is only a "new" company here in the states. In their home country they have been around since 1992. They are also one of the most progressive companies, even sponsoring a MotoGP racer!

Old 03-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #5

Just adding fuel to the proverbial fire, but I would definitely check out the Hyosung GT250/United Motors 250 sport bike. Hyosung, from Korea, has been around a few years now in the US, and has a product that I would buy over the Kawasaki. To me, the Kawi looks like a beginner's bike, while the Hyosung looks more serious. Of course, Kawasaki has many dealers which might be a consideration, while Hyosung has quite a few across the US, though not as many as Kawi. UM is adding dealers, (Bruce from EJ Cycles is a dealer of their's). My first preference in the 250 class would be the Hyosung GT250 "naked" bike, my second would be the Hysosung GT250R/UM 250 Sport bike (these are the same manufacturer and are full sport fendered), my third would be the Kawi, and the 4th the Zongshen. However, if price is a big consideration then the Zongshen could be first on your list.

www.umamerica.com www.hyosungmotorsusa.com

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 AM   #6

I live in Nashville TN. Allegedly there is a zongshen dealer about an hour away but I haven't received a response from them, so I wonder if they are full service so much.

I prefer, based on looks, the Hyosung, but I cannot locate a used one and a new one is priced too high. I am looking to spend $2500 tops, which works out to be a low miles ninja or a new zongshen. Although if anyone knows of a low miles hyosung around here, let me know. lol.

As for style of riding, I have no idea. I will probably end up using this as a commuter for the approx 4 mile trip to school each day. And probably once I become reasonably safe, I'll probably use it for aggressive weekend driving.

After further research, my only concern about chinese bikes in general is all the horror stories of Sprite cans being used for head gaskets (but then again, this info came from a very biased american-only bike type forum).

So who knows. Given my budget, location, and probable riding style, and further suggestions

Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdevante
I will probably end up using this as a commuter for the approx 4 mile trip to school each day. And probably once I become reasonably safe, I'll probably use it for aggressive weekend driving.
I think as a commuter and for short trips around town, teh Zongshen will be fine. If you're going to be on the freeway, you want the faster bike.
Quote:
all the horror stories of Sprite cans being used for head gaskets (but then again, this info came from a very biased american-only bike type forum).
Folks used to say the same stuff about Honda and Yamaha 30 years ago.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:47 PM   #8

The GS-250 is a cool looking bike (online anyway...haven't seen one in a stealership). Anyway, Zongshen will be builiding Harleys in China (not that it means much). I'm assuming because of the partnership with HD, their level of quality must be good. I think the GS-250 looks better than the Ninjette, but if you're looking for performance, the Kawi has it. I have a Tank Vision 250 2i. It won't beat a Ninjette, but I think it looks better and I haven't seen another one on the road. So, if you wanna stand out, get the GS-250.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to dlunt
Being a former Ninja 250 owner (and loved it) I completely agree that it is a great on road beginner bike that you can grow with for a couple years.
The freaking engine will scream like a 2 stroke if you want to wind it out to redline. It corners great too.

But frankly I like a DS or standard on the road. I would probably like a Super Moto too. I like the upright sitting position.
My back and elbows like it better too. The Ninja 250 is kind of a sport/standard. You don't lean over too far.

I can't comment on the zhongshen, I haven't rode one.
But if it is no faster than one of the DS 200's that the Chinese are making then don't even think about getting on an Interstate. I used to ride my Ninja 250 on the Interstate. A little buzzy but okay for a 30 minute commute.

If you need some more feedback on the Ninja 250 then check out the Ninja 250 riders club forum. It is similar to this one because a lot of people will actually try to help.
http://ninja250.kingston.net/board/

Old 05-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #10

If your looking to spend $2500, and its a first bike Id suggest looking used. I never recommned anyone buy a first bike new due to the learning curve like never put you bike on fresh laid balcktop in 90 degree heat on a sunny day etc etc. If your not mechnically inclined I would suggest staying with a used Japanese bike for the purpose of partas and service. I wouldnt limit yourself to a 250 Ninja either. Honda made a 250 interceptor that for that time frame is every bit as good a bike as a Ninja. On top of that there are many other used bikes that will be in your price range that you can grow into. Specifically Honda made a bike called the CB-1 which was a 400 cc inline 4 cylinder stripped of plastic sport bike that red lined at close to 14,000 rpm. It was very mild mannered till about 7K so very good beginner bike and once your ability increased will eat up any 250 NINJA. Another great beginner bike by Honda is called the Hawk GT which is a 650 cc twin cylinder. Very nice torque motor for beginners and again once confident pulls the front wheel off the ground nicely. Those are just 2 examples. Im like China bikes, espceially the dirt and dual sports but single cylinder 200cc on the street for anything but very mild communting isnt very practical long term IMO thats why the recommnedation to used Japanese...JMO.... Good luck

Old 05-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #11

I wouldn't rule out the Korean bikes. I guess it is a sign of growing "old" but I am really drawn to the naked bikes. To me, fairings, while looking cool and all, if damaged, are expensive, hence my reasons. So the Hyosung 250 comet sans fairings would be my choice for a 250cc bike to learn on. UM would be my first choice (yes I know hyosung is the manufacturer) but they only have the full-fairing 250cc.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM   #12

I rode the Comet a couple of times while I was bike shopping last year. It was a blast to ride. I just didn't care for the seating position. Still, looking back, I should've bought it considering my Tank Vision 250 2i is nowhere near as good a bike.