Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 05:11 PM   #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoJane View Post
Well bummer on sending in the ECU. I just purchased this biking knowing about ECU issues with the bike. When speaking with the sales guy at Venom I asked if they would put the latest ECU into the bike and was assured it would be included. I need to call them, this isn't adding up. The throttle will give some slight hesitation and I know that points to the ECU or adjust the throttle. I've checked the throttle and it's fine, no major slack or kink. Well, heck.
Venom bought up a bunch of stock due to EPA regulations causing many of Lifans bikes to not be legal for the immediate future until they can pass certain regulations. You likely got shipped a bike from that pool of vehicles with an older ECU and Venom was simply not aware of it because they knew all of the bikes they were shipped had the upgraded ECU, and yours simply didn't.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-07-2024, 03:38 PM   #2

Angry KPX 250 Knocking Clicking

Well after many, many attempts to have someone anyone over at Venom contact me it's a bust. My KPX 250 is a lemon and the company just isn't getting back to me on this issue. I called all last week, called this week and they keep telling me "someone" will contact you and they don't. At high idle the bike sounds like there is sand in the motor and when I drive it the bike knock/pings as you get down the road. I'm afraid it will leave me on the side of the road so I don't go far from home. I haven't even got the bike past 45 mph. I wouldn't in fear of my life. I have changed the old and put all the proper oil in the engine. I did find some flakes but the oil wasn't that bad. I think this thing is going to seize up while riding. I did ask them about the ECU and the customer care woman on the phone told me the bike was too new and it has the latest ECU flash. I guess I'm going to sell this junk online as scrap. I'm out over $3,000 buck.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Well after many, many attempts to have someone anyone over at Venom contact me it's a bust. My KPX 250 is a lemon and the company just isn't getting back to me on this issue. I called all last week, called this week and they keep telling me "someone" will contact you and they don't. At high idle the bike sounds like there is sand in the motor and when I drive it the bike knock/pings as you get down the road. I'm afraid it will leave me on the side of the road so I don't go far from home. I haven't even got the bike past 45 mph. I wouldn't in fear of my life. I have changed the old and put all the proper oil in the engine. I did find some flakes but the oil wasn't that bad. I think this thing is going to seize up while riding. I did ask them about the ECU and the customer care woman on the phone told me the bike was too new and it has the latest ECU flash. I guess I'm going to sell this junk online as scrap. I'm out over $3,000 buck.
You don't have a lemon and it's not scrap. You should upload a video of the noise so we can atleast hear it. The engine will quiet down as you break it in. Everything you've said is normal within spec.. I have 600 miles on my kpx and iv been running 90 ethonal free gas. Every once in awhile I also get a slight ping. Ecu has been sent in already.... it's normal. These are small thumper engines. They're going to sound like a well oiled sowing machine.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:20 AM   #4

MotoJane, Another possibility is that the Valves may need adjusting. Even though it is a new bike, As many of us know on the forum. Most of these bikes come from the factory with valve gaps set to tight or even too loose.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-08-2024, 02:28 PM   #5

Valve Adjustment KPX Ping/Click/Knock

I worked with my neighbor on doing a valve adjustment. He's a retired ASC mechanic. Wow, things went from bad to worse if that's possible. Something is wrong with this engine. The valves were tight but after doing the valve adjustment this thing click and clanks down the road. I wouldn't trust driving the bike more than 2 miles from my home. I'm at a loss. These bikes really don't have much in the way of adjustments. These noises in the engine are not normal, I've been riding bikes for over 30 years.

Old 05-08-2024, 02:31 PM   #6

Quote:
I worked with my neighbor on doing a valve adjustment. He's a retired ASC mechanic. Wow, things went from bad to worse if that's possible. Something is wrong with this engine. The valves were tight but after doing the valve adjustment this thing click and clanks down the road. I wouldn't trust driving the bike more than 2 miles from my home. I'm at a loss. These bikes really don't have much in the way of adjustments. These noises in the engine are not normal, I've been riding bikes for over 30 years.
Do you have any video so we can hear? That would really help in diagnosing the problem.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-08-2024, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Do you have any video so we can hear? That would really help in diagnosing the problem.
Venom is in the building! They've called me! As for the sound, I've sent them a clip of it and they told me to stop riding the bike. They are working with the manufacture and we are on the road for a warranty issue. In the interest of the warranty and not wanting to hurt Lifan I'm not going to upload the video. I understand things happen, it's normally a one off, but this is the world not a video game.

Old 05-08-2024, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
With respect here, after adjusting the valves and it went from bad to worse, that’s pointing to the valves. We’re assuming that the engine was on the compression stroke when the valves were adjusted? Easy to to get things wrong here. Plenty of info. on how to adjust them here. Thinking out loud…

Old 05-08-2024, 04:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
With respect here, after adjusting the valves and it went from bad to worse, that’s pointing to the valves. We’re assuming that the engine was on the compression stroke when the valves were adjusted? Easy to to get things wrong here. Plenty of info. on how to adjust them here. Thinking out loud…
As I said I did have a real mechanic helping me with the adjustment. I agree something in the valves on this bike is seriously wrong and it isn't an adjustment. Maybe they aren't seating correctly or they are bent from the factory. I'm not sure but the way the sound of this engine something is seriously wrong.