Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

How capable is the RX3 for highway riding?

The highway is not my favorite, but sometimes it's the best option. How capable is this bike to haul around a 230lb man and all his gear on the superslab for hours on end? I'm not worried about the motor exploding or anything. From what I've read the bike can handle it. What's the *experience* like? Can you compare it to other motorcycles perhaps?

Probably the closest things I've ridden to the RX3 are the CX500, TW200, and EX250 Ninja. The Ninja would cruise at 80mph all day, two up, and have plenty of power for passing. I saw north of 107mph in a full tuck, and I still had a gear left. (I needed to gear it lower, because top speed was achieved in 5th, it didn't have the power to accelerate in 6th). This bike was very relaxing and easy to ride on the highway. It was smooth and silky and refined.

The TW200 couldn't get out of its own way on the highway. 70mph downhill with a tailwind. 65mph on level ground. Struggling to maintain 62mph going uphill. Not ideal. Basically it was all I could do to maintain 65mph with all the headwinds and hill. It was EXHAUSTING to ride on the highway, felt like I got roughed up by a bouncer and thrown out on my arse. But it was also absolutely a pleasure around town and on any kind of little trail. It'd go anywhere and if it got stuck I'd just pick it up and keep on trucking.

The CX500 spins a lot of RPM to maintain any speed, really. 80mph and it sounds like you're hauling ass, engine is really spinning hard. But it'll happily do that for 8 hours straight, and then start right up ready to go again. Redline was 9500rpm, which equated to 100mph. You could eke 105mph out of it before the valves started to float. It's a little tiring to ride on the highway, but it's not terrible. The bike is not refined, but it's not beating me up either. It's not intimidating, and is capable on gravel and dirt roads. (Places I'd never feel comfortable with the ninja).

Now that you've got an idea what I've ridden and how I feel riding it, how do oyu think the RX3 stacks up? Thanks!

Charles.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #2

Given your size I suggest gearing down a bit, freeway or not.
Stock is 14/44 and with a rider of <165 lbs it usually will hit/exceed redline in 6th (level ground, no headwind) which is about 84 mph.

For you it might be wise to put a 46 on the rear which will still allow the bike to exceed 75 mph and do it in 6th. More drastic change can then be done dropping to 13 up front which will really drop your tip speed, but acceleration will be much better. Joe Martin used (I think) 13/45 but he has a lower parasitic power draw factor than you, both mass and area.

Get your hands on 5000 miles at 8000 rpm. Seriously. You will learn so much.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #3

Im about your weight and honestly I sold mine. The bike has no passing power, gasps up hill to maintain highway speed and is tach'd out the entire time at 72 mph which is the actual top speed.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #4

agree with previous post. these bikes are just too small for highways. back roads and off roads where you can live in the 60 or less range will be much nicer to tour on.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

Much better on dirt roads than the Ninja. Much better on the highway than the TW. I've done SS1000s and BB1500s on both, and the RX3 is clearly superior to either for long distance highways, but the RX3 is not a coast-to-coast road burner. The TW is slower by about 15mph at all things, is not nearly as comfortable (especially with the thick seat from CSC on the RX3). On the other hand, the Ninja is also a terrible choice for long highway rides because the ergos are closer to appropriate for racing rather than touring--the Ninja kills my back and hands--just does not fit me. But, the Ninja is 15mph faster.

The RX3 is not a crotch rocket, nor a mud hog. It is between the two in all things. The RX3 does quite well at a much wider range of things than the other two, but foregoes excellence at a small number of extremes at which one of the other two are excellent.

Now, any 250 with 25hp is going to be cammy. The RX3 is no different. No 5000rpm powerband like a TW with half the horsepower. However, the powerband becomes stronger and noticeably wider as miles accumulate. The RX3 mirrors the Ninja in output until it runs out of RPM, the Ninja's twin allowing a bit more spin, hence, more top end. The RX3's ergos and accessories limit top end--I expect it's engine would give the
Ninja a tight, fun race if similarly set up in a more aerodynamic frame with matching bodywork.

Also, the RX3 has that 6th gear for which TW riders yearn, ratios closing as road speed increases, like a good road bike when it comes to downshifting for a hill or pass or headwind, necessary with all 250s at 70mph. Don't worry about the complaints of narrow powerband--if you've rowed a Ninja 250 gearbox effectively the RX3 is no different, and one of the smoothest shifting transmissions I've ever had.

However, as mentioned above, the final drive ratio is a bit too high for chubby people, especially when combined with the aerodynamic challenges of the fairing, fenders, and luggage. That's a compromise that has to be made for the adventure role. Try loading all that will fit on an RX3 on a Ninja and compare the bikes. Pretty much the same performance, and the RX3 is a lot more comfortable on a long ride.

Also, note the RX3 suspension and brakes are a bit on the weak side compared to a Ninja on the street. However, the RX3 suspension and brakes far exceed the TW's capabilities anywhere except where that 180-80 knobby is really necessary. The TW is a lot more capable in the mud and climbing cliffs than the RX3. Build an equivalent TW for an adventure roll and those extreme offroad advantages a near stock TW enjoys over the near stock RX3 are significantly reduced unless a few $$$$ $$$$ $$$$ are spent to upgrade most every system on the TW, and you still will not have the RX3's ability to function heated gear and artificial daylight.

Avoid comparing apples and oranges, which is what people tend to do. Each of the three serves lists of purposes, and there is a bit more overlap each way with the RX3. Frankly, my modified TW adventure build is just about the same at all things as the RX3, a bit better than the RX3 here and there because the TW is built exactly to my preferences, while I expect your preferences will be different and will affect your comparison of the two. Also, the Tdub2 has three times as much money invested as a brand new RX3, delivered, and registered.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #6

Like other say, it's ok for short runs on the open freeway @ 70 but not for the long haul. Very comfy 60 and below all day. I think many lose sight of the fact it's just a 250.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Like other say, it's ok for short runs on the open freeway @ 70 but not for the long haul. Very comfy 60 and below all day. I think many lose sight of the fact it's just a 250.
Yes, a 250 lacks the displacement to chug along a deer trail AND zoom down the highway maintaining 70mph up the hills and into winds, especially when loaded. A 250 can do one or the other, even with a significant load, but not both. The RX3 comes close, closer than anything else

Larger displacements weigh more unless assembled from exotic materials, and then the price skyrockets. It's all about compromises, and the RX3 offers significant and wide ranging capabilities little, if nothing else, offers. That's the beauty if it. If you want to chug better, get a TW. If you want to go faster, get a WR for unpaved, a Ninja for pavement. Just don't compare weights without figuring in similar accessories--the RX3 has many features other bikes don't have, and those features all have mass. No bike does everything for all people.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #8

Cool, this all sounds great. That's a lot of really good info for me to take in. When I plan trips, I usually plan to get out of my home area pretty fast on the interstate to get some distance between me and home, and then I transition over to back roads to go wherever I'm headed. Even on my V65 Magna, I just don't love riding on the superslab and will always prefer secondary roads. I don't care that it takes longer, the beauty is the trip not the destination.

That said, if I can make a 15 mile commute on the superslab to my girlfriend's house a couple times a week, that'd be nice too. And it sounds like all of that is possible.

I love the comparisons to the ninja and the TW, that's really appreciated.

Charles.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

The comparison came out better than expected. All three models have been pretty much in class by themselves. All are great bikes, each excellent in its own way. That made the thinking simple. Much more difficult to compare a DT650, a XR650, and a KLR 650.

A 15-minute WFO run will not harm a RX3. We have about the same body weight and I'd highly recommend a couple or three teeth on the wheel sprocket. You'll probably maintain or gain top end, though closer to redline but not over more often than not, under all conditions except down a 4%+ highway grade. If I lived in an area with good roads close to home I'd maybe add a couple teeth more if the grades and altitude would see benefit. Stock final drive is definitely a bit high for us chubby fellas. A taller, more aggressive dirt tire might justify a couple teeth more than the two situations above, but I don't know if such sprockets will actually fit.

Be considerate that 13-teeth countershaft sprockets do see a marked reduction in chain and sprocket set life on bikes ridden distances on highways. 14 is my personal minimum, 15 is better, but I don't see space for clearances for a 15. Neither can I make the judgement on wheel sprockets to keep the final drive ratio lower even with a 15 teeth countershaft sprocket.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #10

In my area with lots of hills, standard gearing is the max I can go cause not enough power to pull more gearing with hills and head winds. Always down shifting to 5th. My bike does seem to be under powered a little because when riding with other RX3 on Baja or Destination trips I always seem to lack power a little on top end that others have. Going up hills or into wind, they pull away from me. Maybe I've just got more junk on my bike making more wind resistance?
Fuel filter never changed maybe a culprit also. 16400 miles on it. Have new one just need to switch it out.
I can say that when I did the 24hr iron butt 1000 on it and when I was going through the desert in 104 deg temps the motor never whimpered at all. And this was running near wide open on the throttle. My bike seems to go only so fast with throttle 9/10 of the way open and that's all its got at 70-80 mph. I cant over rev it without dropping a gear. But down in the 55-60mph range it runs all day happily.
Anyway , the bike can go all day on the freeway near full throttle as it proved on the iron butt ride. But that was not by choice as I was trying to keep up with the other guys on big Harleys and Yamahas. It will do it but not the best choice for that type of riding if that's all you do.
I don't like doing single track dirt riding with it but I think Joe Martin has proven it can do it but again , not the best choice.
I think this bike was designed to put many miles on pavement and dirt roads at 50-60mph with the occasion blast down the freeway and occasional fireroad exploration. Just my 2, rj

Old 02-10-2018, 09:08 PM   #11

I don't know why CSC still advertises these bikes top speed at 85 or whatever when it's well known it's not. Rant aside the bike chugs along nicely at 70mph(~65actual) Problem is people that have to share the road with you won't appreciate you going the speed limit. I always feel rushed when on the freeway and it takes away from the enjoyment. I take side streets and back roads whenever I can.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogirob View Post
I don't know why CSC still advertises these bikes top speed at 85 or whatever when it's well known it's not. Rant aside the bike chugs along nicely at 70mph(~65actual) Problem is people that have to share the road with you won't appreciate you going the speed limit. I always feel rushed when on the freeway and it takes away from the enjoyment. I take side streets and back roads whenever I can.
And yet mine hits redline (sometimes above) in 6th gear on level freeway.
Stock gearing 14/44 with all original equipment on, luggage, etc.
Rider (me) at 72" and about 150-155 lbs suited for riding.

So I am doing the listed 84 mph on occasion when I don't pay attention and have to slow down. Admittedly on steeper inclines it won't break the red. But it's a moderate 250, I acknowledge that and accept that.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM   #13

Jay, throw an additional 80 pounds of luggage aboard and wear a set of football shoulder pads to simulate the aerodynamics of broader shoulders of us bigger guys, then see if your bike will still do 84mph. You are the perfect size for the RX3. I'm envious.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #14

Jay - is that per GPS or the Speedo?? My stocker can only get to 80, 81 maybe with a tailwind down hill per GPS.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 02-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Jay - is that per GPS or the Speedo?? My stocker can only get to 80, 81 maybe with a tailwind down hill per GPS.
I'm going by the tach reading. With stock tires and gearing then red line should be 84, yes? And it exceeds red line in 6th if I don't pay attention. Rev limiter appears to kick in about 10,500 rpm.