Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #1

Longevity of OEM Sprockets/Chain - Help Please!

Ok folks - need your help. Prepping the bike for the MABDR ride come spring. Need to understand how the OEM sprockets and chain hold up. At what mileage did most of you need to consider changing out the OEM components. Mine looks ok now with 3.5K but will most likely have over 5K miles on the bike by the time I'm ready to depart for the MABDR which will be a 2.5K round trip excursion. I'd like to also upgrade the sprockets/chain to something with more longevity - would appreciate suggestions on that front as well.

Thanks in advance.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 01-27-2018, 10:23 PM   #2

Don't wait and change out the chain before your trip, the sprockets should be OK. I was on part of the 5,000 mile Western States tour and the daily hammering required chain adjustment/inspection every evening on every bike. Once the chain starts to stretch, it goes very quickly. Sorry that I don't have anything to add for the sprockets, mine are still good with over 7,000 miles.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 01-28-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

i got about 6000 miles on mine and it definitely needed it when CSC took the bikes on their west coast trip 5000 was what they got out of the oem chain i went with oem sprockets and ek chain my thoughts are better chain will make sprockets last longer but i'm no expert oh and my sprockets were worn really bad

Last edited by willy dog; 01-28-2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: more info

Old 01-28-2018, 08:50 AM   #4

Hi,

My OEM chain (choho) lasted about 8000km (5000mi) and it was badly worn, with uneven stretching. But I'm over 36000km now and still got the original front and rear sprockets, wich show some wear but still have plenty of life left on them. I -do- maintain my chain lubed and with proper (erring on the side of loose) tension.

Regards,

Juanro

Old 02-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #5

I changed out both oEM chains with only about 1500 miles on them. They stretched constantly and started kinking, even with good lube.
Bought the Unibears for 15.00+/- each and never looked back. The hardest part was cutting the old chains off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 02-01-2018, 06:42 PM   #6

I would agree with everyone, change the chain. Also make sure to check out your wheel and sprocket carrier bearings to make sure they are in good condition. I have about 5k miles of single track, NJ sand and fire cuts on my bike, (I ride it hard) and just found the carrier bearing is shot after several months of just tightening the chain after every ride. So far that is the only part failure I have had, the other damaged part I have had was the crash bars because I ride it hard and the bars did their job well.

Post up about the MABDR, I am planning on doing it this year as well but probably in the fall.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:00 PM   #7

Thanks for the great'411' above - helping me understand what I want to get done prior to embarking on Rex's first big dirt road tour.

I will definitely post a ride report for the MABDR - just got the .gpx file today and am now planning logistics/itinerary for each day's route along the tour. Great way to get through the long tedious winter nights as I dream of rides to come in the season ahead.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 02-02-2018, 01:19 PM   #8

My original chain started stretching about 5500 miles....the sprockets looked fine still, but I replaced them and the chain with a quality X-Ring Chain.
2016 AJP PR4
2022 Templar X 250
2021 Sondors Metacycle
AMA Life Member

Old 02-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokecycle View Post
I would agree with everyone, change the chain. Also make sure to check out your wheel and sprocket carrier bearings to make sure they are in good condition. I have about 5k miles of single track, NJ sand and fire cuts on my bike, (I ride it hard) and just found the carrier bearing is shot after several months of just tightening the chain after every ride.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. The chains are crap, even CSC recommends aftermarket chains versus the OEM one. The EK SRO6 that they sell works fine and is what I used when I replaced mine at 500 miles. I also had to replace a carrier bearing at my first rear tire change after about 4500 miles of just straight up street riding, the wheel bearings themselves were OK. CSC sells a Japanese wheel bearing kit for the rear for $60, see it here:

http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-re...p/csc-7000.htm

Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 AM   #10

Just over 6000 miles on the originals on my RX3, and stretching and wear are evident. My TWs were all the same--daily lube and adjustment, sometimes twice a day on long trips, generally too worn to stay on the sprockets with the wheel all the way back by 5000-6000 miles. EK SRO on stock sprockets lasts 25000-30000 miles. Way cheaper in the long run to buy ringed chain because sprockets last 5 times as long. Also, much more ride time and much less maintenance time. Take your choice.

Already have replacement sprockets, 14 counter, +2 wheel. Simple source is CSC. Already have EK SRO on a big spool and a box of masters sitting in the shop.

Definitely go with a X- or O-ring chain. Many good brands available, but some charge by the name and are just marginally better than more reasonably priced offerings, if better at all. EK and RJK offer basic ringed chains at reasonable prices, either a good choice.

EDIT: SK also makes some excellent high dollar chains. Next purchase will be one of their X-ring styles. They cost more but last longer so overall replacement costs will be about the same. Sprocket costs will be reduced because they will also last longer. More riding time, less time maintaining/replacing chains and sprockets. Also, SK x-ring chains reduce drag and are lighter so slight power gain you'll probably never notice. The SRX2 runs about $75. The MVXZ2 is about $105. The ZVX3 runs about $130. The last two can be plus an extra $10 if you want color to accent the bike's. These top-line chains ought to last 40000-50000 miles with little maintenance other than an occasional rinse with Sea Foam Deep Creep, which floats crud off steel and leaves a dry, rust preventing coating, which is all a ringed chain needs.

Last edited by sqwert; 02-09-2018 at 12:08 PM.