Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Goodbye for now

I just thought I'd drop a note to let you all know that I've donated my RX3 and all parts and accessories to a veterans non-profit. They do great things with working with vets who suffer from PTSD. As such I won't be around the forum any longer. THANK YOU all for being such great "virtual" friends and supporters. I can only have 1 bike...according to my wife...and so it's time to check out something new. Take care and have a ton of fun out there!

Joe

Old 01-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

As they say in my country, "Dammit".

Old 01-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #3

Best of luck Joe - interested to know what your motivation for the switch to the F8 was - I know your RX3 had quite a few miles on it but I know how much you enjoyed it. Hope you are still planning Alaska - the F8 will love it up there.

Please stay in touch!

Best,

V
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #4

Thank you! Yeah, the bike had 20K miles on it. HARD miles. I did a "test" ride of 4500 miles with my Winter Escape and decided for various reasons that it was time for me to move on to a different bike. The RX3 was an excellent bike for me to learn to ride, ride off-road and figure out adventure touring. As with many folks who are wanting just a bit more of an engine, I was one of them but I also wanted more suspension also for my off-road rides.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:52 PM   #5

Thumbs Up on the donation to a good cause!

Keep us updated on your travels.

As a former BMW rider, I think you will enjoy the community.

I still attend their rallies, and small group rides.

Surprised a bit, since the F800 is a pretty tall bike.

jb

Old 01-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #6

Thanks JB. Yeah, I threw my leg over one and it is tall but could get my toes down. Tossed my leg over a lowered GS and could flat foot it. So I'm going to have a recommended local guy turn my saddle into a low seat which will take an inch off the height. Then I'm going to put on a set of progressive Hyperpro springs in the forks and on the shock. Options are 20, 35 or 50mm for lowering. So the bike starts at 35 inches, then the low seat takes it to 34 and I plan on doing the 50mm lowering so then it's only 32 tall. It does reduce the ground clearance and fork/shock but the reviews are excellent. Since they are progressive an unloaded bike can still be easily put on the center stand BUT I will have to cut down my side stand by 3/4". That will be cheap and easy. This has to be done as I'll be loaded and sitting on the bike and it will want to stand to straight without cutting it down. My current bike is 32 13/16 since I have the seat concepts seat, progressive 465 and 19" front with Shinko 804/805 tires.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the explanation.

I usually need to lower my bikes as well.

Safe travels.

jb

Old 01-14-2018, 01:25 AM   #8

Joe best wishes for you this year and totally understand your move to larger bike. A lot of us are able to have a larger bike for highway use and also able to keep the RX3 around for lighter duty fun things but understand keeping the wife happy with 1 bike. Less expenses and you get use to having one "do all" bike for everything. I think you did good by starting out on the RX3 and can look back at the small investment it was and the amount of fun times you've had on it and the experience it gave you to appreciate a step up to the new bike.
No fare leaving us without at least 1 pic of your new bike OK? Have fun and stay safe out there And I hope our paths cross again soon MexGiver, rj

Old 01-14-2018, 01:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Thanks JB. Yeah, I threw my leg over one and it is tall but could get my toes down. Tossed my leg over a lowered GS and could flat foot it. So I'm going to have a recommended local guy turn my saddle into a low seat which will take an inch off the height. Then I'm going to put on a set of progressive Hyperpro springs in the forks and on the shock. Options are 20, 35 or 50mm for lowering. So the bike starts at 35 inches, then the low seat takes it to 34 and I plan on doing the 50mm lowering so then it's only 32 tall. It does reduce the ground clearance and fork/shock but the reviews are excellent. Since they are progressive an unloaded bike can still be easily put on the center stand BUT I will have to cut down my side stand by 3/4". That will be cheap and easy. This has to be done as I'll be loaded and sitting on the bike and it will want to stand to straight without cutting it down. My current bike is 32 13/16 since I have the seat concepts seat, progressive 465 and 19" front with Shinko 804/805 tires.
Hi Joe,
Thanks for all of your input on this site.
I hope you enjoy your new Bike.
That was very generous of you to donate your old bike.

Regarding your old RX3 and the seat height, I also have the seat concepts tall seat and still have the stock tires.
Did the 804/805's raise the bike?
Yours is almost 2" higher than mine. This may be too late but, do you know how tall the tires are?
I'm looking to gain a little ground clearance on my bike.
Thanks.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #10

Goodbye Joe!

I´ll miss your comments here. Hope see you soon elsewhere
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #11

Just a thought, Joe:

BMW usually offers a "low frame" option...might save a lot of work doing a conversion.

Also, BMW has just announced new improved versions of the F800....the F850...changes in the frame and gas tank location.

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/i...html&notrack=1

jb

Old 01-15-2018, 01:23 AM   #12

Pics please. I would love to see you stick around. I ain't going nowhere and I'm a defector too.

You did it the right way , learned the right way, and got all your experience and pro training on a cheap bike. Now you got the gold standard bmw bike.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #13

Made in,,,,,

Just curious to see which country your F800 is made in when you have the time to examine it.

Old 01-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #14

fjmartin, this is a new step of success with it.

I went today to the site to write a similar post. At the end of that year I purchased a new BMW F800 GS and put RX3 for sale. It have served me for three years (though sometimes annoying), taught me a lot and not gave to make a lot of mistakes. Today, I can assemble and disassemble it with my eyes closed, but. I miss this bike on long distances when overtaking on high-speed roads (where the flow speed over 70 mph, especially if I'm riding with a passenger). In any case, I think I will not leave this wonderful forum with such helpful people like you. There is also a chance that my father will take the RX3. He recently acquired the rights to the motorcycle and I gave him a full set of protective gear, it lacks only motorcycle)

Old 01-18-2018, 12:03 AM   #15

Thanks all, I'm still lurking around for a while. I pickup my new bike tomorrow so no pictures yet. I'll also wait until I get the farkles on it! They all arrive within the next week and a half. I looked at waiting for the F850GS and there were a few things I didn't like. No adventure model so no large tank, and even the new bike has 1 less liter than the previous model. It's heavier. The tank is now in the traditional location which raises the CG. Plus, dealers are trying to clear out their inventory of 2017s so I got a hell of a deal. They also had a closeout on a LOW model but they don't provide an option for a center stand or pretty much any of the electronic features for the rear shock.

Thunder, check out this link on the tire diameter: https://www.shinkotireusa.com/produc...-series/211930. I don't have the RX3 here anymore so I can't measure that. but, the other thing that lifted the bike a LOT was the Progressive 465 rear shock. Also the 19" front wheel adds to the height.

See ya'll soon!

Joe