Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 01-02-2018, 03:56 PM   #1

2018 Dakar....san Zongshen

Two of the riders from Team Zongshen will be back for 2018, but riding KTMs

They are the only two Chinese riders in this year's Dakar event.

So....why would the Zong NOT continue investing in their 450 Rally bike's development?

Seems that any issues with the NC450 motor were solved, as the RX4 is already for sale in some markets.

Everyone knows that racing improves the breed, and they DID say over a year ago that they had production plans for the Rally bike.

So Zong...whut happened?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

https://johnnykillmore.wordpress.com...oes-zongshens/

Old 01-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #3

Lessons learned?

I wonder if they have decided against competing in the Dakar because they have answers already? Five machines, no (reported) failures of the engine.

In Dakar, the brand to beat is KTM. I don't think Zongshen is pursuing their customers. I think their goal is to become a solid and practical choice for 2 wheeled transport, and if CSC's business model is a hint, affordable and reliable transport that can be taken anywhere and maintained by the rider.

Engine durability can be tested/proven many ways. The Dakar bikes didn't have frames that would see production, so why pursue them? Focus instead on what riders are saying about the RX1 & RX3 and build on that.

Will be interesting to see what grows. It's just a shame that the USA interstate mentality leaves so many potential RX3 owners (and some current ones) wanting just a bit more.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

I agree with Jay but I sure would love to see Zongshen return to the Dakar Rally.

Old 01-02-2018, 11:40 PM   #5

You know the whole Norton agreement thing happened last year so I'm sure priorities shifted. Ya never know till ya know.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

I guess their riders need the experience of Dakar, but it is a shame Zongshen isn't up to the task of producing an engine that can compete.

Wonder what's holding them back?

Last edited by GlennR; 01-03-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Old 01-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I guess their riders need the experience of Dakar, but it is a shame Zongshen isn't up to the task of producing an engine that can compete.

Woner what's holding them back?
Coming from a background of amateur desert racing and one team run at the Baja 1000...

There are a ton of little things that experienced teams know and inexperienced teams have to learn for themselves. The best preparation, bike, and skills in the world still have to manage a thousand details that can make or break your race.

My first trip to the Baja 1000 was a real eye opener. I had been dreaming of participating since I was old enough to ride a tote-goat. The top level teams are working towards this race year-round; they live and breathe it. It takes a dedication (and a large checkbook) that most cannot fathom. We had a lot of fun and took some lumps learning our way as a bottom tier privateer team. An experience I will chersih forever, but any future trips to Baja will be as a spectator only. Much more fun.

Zongshen's engines are likely not the problem; getting an experienced *team* working together on all aspects, including bike setup, may take them 4-5 years. Sometimes one year isn't long enough to incorporate all the learnings from your last attempt. Maybe they decided to take a more long-term approach and have a stronger showing next year as they build towards a more successful charge in 2019? 2020?

Old 01-14-2018, 03:24 AM   #8

I´ve read somewhere that "Zongshen Dakar Racing" just hired a guy -competitor at Dakar 2018 with a KTM bike- as Team Leader. So, maybe we´ll see the upcoming RX4´s at Dakar 2019.
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)

Old 01-14-2018, 03:38 AM   #9

Zongshen Cyclone Dakar Racing Team

Name:  Captura Zongshen Facebook.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  74.8 KB

It´s a Zongshen announce at their spanish Facebook site dated January 3rd 2018: said something like "Meet Pablo Pascual, who will lead the Team Zongshen Cyclone Team at Dakar race next year!"

From the Dakar 2018 profile (Google translated):
"The Dakar never ceases to amaze me. When I thought that my career as a pilot was coming to an end - because with my age, 45 years old, it is getting harder and harder to compete with new riders and with superior mechanical means - I got a proposal that fills me with pride. Again China put its eyes on me and the company Zongshen Cyclone, (the fifth largest producer of motorcycles in the country), offered me a contract to dispute with the brand the 2019 Dakar Rally and at the same time lead a project to introduce pilots from that country in the competition, contributing my experience."

https://www.dakar.com/en/competitor/62
- ex Honda Storm 125 (2009)
- ex Corven Triax 250 Touring (2016) (Zongshen RX3 carb)
Benelli TRK 502 (2018)