Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 12-01-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

CSC RXR As first bike?

So I understand this is a RX3 thread but the RXR is basically the same thing minus the addons.

So I'm currently 17 turning 18 in January and I'm extremely interested in dailying a bike once I can, I've taken my MSF course so for now it's saving. Anyhow I'm looking to getting a motocycle in late January or Febuary and I came across this little company called CSC or Zongshen as it's better known. And so far I've researched into the bikes quite a bit but I want some other peoples opinions on getting one from them mainly the CSC RXR as I like the RX3 but I don't need something that bulky just a light ADV bike to daily and occasionally take some trails.

This is the motorcycle in mind
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/2017-RXR-p/zrxr-2017.htm

I'm wanting this bike for a few reasons but the main is the price. Being a Chinese bike this is to be expected and for $3500 + $300 for shipping as I live in Colorado and CSC (California Scooter Company) is based in California obviously; it would need to be shipped. I also just like how the bike looks for a 250cc I think it's pretty good for the price especially.

The main reason I'm posting this is what do you guys think about it as a first? The main thing is I'm debating over this or a Japanese motorcycle such as a Honda CB300F or KTM Duke 390, different bikes yes but still non the less it'd be a road bike 90% of the time. See I would consider getting a used older bike but that's the dilema would you guys think it'd be better off to getting a older cheaper bike that's the same style or a newer bike that's Chinese?

Any help would be great thanks!

Old 12-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #2

Welcome! Regarding the used Japanese vs. new Chinese, we've all been down that path and that's why many of us have bought new Chinese. I've spent literal weeks on Craigs List looking for something good, used Japanese for a decent price and (when I was seriously shopping), all I found was 10 year old junk for a huge price tag. If you have a line on a good, used Japanese bike, it's tough to go wrong.

I have two RX3's and no problems as of yet. We don't ride like we used to either but they've been great bikes, though the valves are labor intensive until they settle in.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #3

I would suggest the Chinese bike for a couple, maybe more, reasons. First of all, a used Japanese bike will hold up in value, when/if you come to sell it. True, but that is assuming you barely ride it, and it NEVER falls over either parked or ridden. Which brings me to the second point--dropping a Chinese bike gives you less guilt. This could be a low speed fall or parked, and it does happen. Imagine the depreciation of a dropped Honda vs. the Zongshen?! Third, I would suggest you look into the RX3--there is a cult following for that bike (which WILL help in resale), and the luggage really does not weigh a whole lot more, and you can carry stuff easily. There will be times you just might have to buy something bulky then and there, and having the baggage means you can toss it in vs. trying to tie it down.

Compare shop bikes for comparison sake. Go to dealerships and check out bikes on Craigslist and such. Some regions of the country are great to find used, 1200 mile, all-original CB300s for $1500, while others are top dollar. We used to have a lot of people here on Chinariders arguing for used name-brand bikes, and looking at the links they provided, the bikes were fantastic deals, but those were members living in the Pacific northwest in the region where Idaho and eastern Washington State met, and the too good to be true deals were usually gone in a day or two. If you happen to find a great deal on a used Japanese bike, go for it! You might come across one that is near perfectly fine, other than the owner, new him/her self had laid it down in a slow-speed slide, and is selling it cheap.

As far as the RXR goes, CSC does have a cult following as a company, thanks to the RX3, and more and more with the TT250, so the RXR might still be a great deal as far as resale goes. Did you check if they have some in stock? Sometimes they show bikes on their site that have since sold out, and new one are on the slow-boat from China.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #4

Jay, my recommendation would normally be to buy a used small displacement bike as your first one. That way the first owner has already taken the big depreciation hit, when you drop the bike (you will) the damage is not so heartbreaking, and you get to decide if that size bike is right for you without getting so financially committed. In this case I think you will find that a decent used Japanese bike will cost the same or more than the CSC bike you mentioned. If that is indeed the case you get the advantage of a warrantee when you buy the new bike. I'd go with the RX3 because of the crash bars and luggage. Yes, it's more expensive but the add on stuff is worth it. Your view of bikes will change a great deal in the first 6 months or so. It's all too tempting to think that a 250 is just too small and that since everyone else wants a 1200cc bike that must be much better. Most of us have already gone the big bike route and seen the benefits of smaller and lighter. You will probably have to make that journey yourself. Bear in mind that the CSC bikes will lose about 50% of their resale value in the first year or two so they are not a good stepping stone bike on the way to the big guys. Whatever you decide, welcome to the club. Ride something, anything, and enjoy the experience. Happy to have you aboard.

Last edited by pyoungbl; 12-01-2017 at 10:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 12-02-2017, 01:07 AM   #5

Lots of great comments from experienced riders has already been posted. I'll toss out a few things specific to your questions. I'm a new rider...well now about 15 months into it and I got an RX3 to start me out. It's been a great beginner bike. Fuel mileage is good, cruises in town like a dream, light so it turns well, can take a beating if you go offroad or just drop it, and it can do the freeway fine with the exception of 70+ going uphill. It's a 250 so it may drop below 70 so you just need to get in the slow lane. Since there isn't a dealer network you need to do one of two things when it comes to maintenance...either do it yourself as I do OR check around and see if there is an independent motorcycle shop that will work on it. Others mentioned upgrading to the RX3 and I think that would be good if you can swing it. That will provide you the protection you will want for those trails you mentioned and I'll guarantee you'll wish you had some storage like the boxes. Good luck with whatever your choice is.

Joe

Old 12-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #6

Welcome to the forum, Jaydam! Glad to hear that you're thinking about getting into motorcycles. It was an article in a Cycle World magazine about the RX3 that actually got me onto the China Bike scene. I ultimately went with the Hawk because I was able to make the entire purchase remotely with a credit card, but that's neither here nor there. As for your question on a 250 RXR being a good starter bike, I would lay it out for you like this: If I had known about these bikes before I bought my DR650 and plowed a couple thousand dollars into it to prep for riding the TAT, it's a good chance I wouldn't even have a DR650. I have better than twenty years of two-wheeled experience, and all I've found heavy, big displacement bikes good for are throwing your back out when you go down and have to pick them up off their side. Now, that being said, with a smaller bike you'll have to do a little more planning with your luggage and cargo, a well as maintenance intervals and fuel stops on longer trips. I agree with FJmartin about going for the RX3 rather than the RXR. Once you get out there and start getting comfortable, the hard cases will allow you to get more utility out of the bike. Need a loaf of bread and some lunchmeat? You can take the bike to go pick it up. Need a new set of brakes for your car? Sounds like an excuse to ride to me! You'll find that as you get more comfortable, the local errands turn into mini adventures taking the long way around. Finally, there's the price and personal 'sweat equity' investment. There's a four hundred dollar difference between the two bikes, but that four hundred bucks covers a huge bargain on utility and carrying capacity. I realize that for someone about to turn 18, four big ones may be an extra month's worth of saving, but I truly feel the investment in the bike will pay huge dividends to your enjoyment. (Going off at a tangent here, if you have a trip planned and don't need the cases, my understanding is that they're removable.) As for the sweat equity, your cost of ownership will be much lower because there's not many bike shops that know what to do with these bikes. That means you'll become very familiar with your machine as you work through the maintenance requirements. There's plenty of support here on the forums, and knowing your way around the nuts of bolts of what makes the motorcycle go (or stop) are good skills to have. I hope that all the responses to your questions have proven insightful for you, and we're always ready to lend our advice, however misguided, to fellow forum members. Please keep us posted with your decisions, and pictures are a must when you finally pick up whichever bike you settle on.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

I'm going to add to your confusion, and include a bit of a different perspective. I am responding because one of my kids is your age, and I appreciate that a) you write very well, and used good punctuation and grammer. B) That you have done an MSF course and have/are learning how to save money. Those above skills are rare in todays youth, and you are already 95% (or more) ahead of your peers. That is very commendable. Good work. That is a skill set that will take you far in life.

Now, on to the bike... what everyone here said is true, and yes, learning basic motorcycle maintenance is another skill set that will also take you far in life,and transfers into other hands on skills, like checking the oil in your car, knowing when you or your loved one has a flat tire and knowing how to fill it with air or change it. So, if you are a hands-on kind of guy, this can be a good bike. Mine, as many of us have had good reliability out of our bikes. They are new, so a warranty has been nice to have. ANY bike requires some basic hands on skills, Japanese, Chinese, Euro bikes.... ALL need daily tire pressure checks, chain lubrication, knowing how to spot a fraying clutch cable, etc. All that comes in time, and sites like this, ADVRider, YouTube are your friends. If you aren't a hands-on type, I wouldn't recommend ANY bike, as they all need some minor tinkering from time to time, otherwise, it is a cost prohibitive hobby at $90 per hour shop rates. It can be a fun and rewarding way to spend a few hours here and there, and like anything, your skills will grow, and there is a sense of pride for most when tackling tasks new to you. Speaking of saving, 25 years of riding has taught me that on almost every used bike I've bought, prepare financially to replace spark plugs, oil, tires/tubes, chain/sprokets, valve checks (some just for peace of mind as you can't always trust it was done and you want a baseline starting point for reliability). That can add up to $300 to the price of the used bike. So that drives the price up.

Speaking of friends, do you have a large friend base that rides? If so, what are they riding? Some of us have found that Chinese bikes are not as "cool" as Japanese bikes. You may not have the "street cred" that you would on say a DRZ400, WR250R. KLR, etc etc etc. That seems more important to those your age than it does at my age, or the other responders, who are more my age.

Since you live in Colorado which is a dual sport mecca, you may catch heat because you're on a RX3/RXR than if you were on an XT250. Just like your parents did if they owned Honda's and Toyota's in the late 70's. Chinese bikes have come a long way, and these have set a new standard for quality. I've never had anyone in person do anything but compliment my bike though. It's really good looking in person, it's really well made, and durable. Its important to some, not all. To one of my kids, fitting in is very important , to another son, it isn't, he does what makes him happy. For ME, I don't care what I ride, BUT I enjoy bikes that have a good internet forum support base, so I can learn from others, read what others have done with their bikes, see them in action in places I'll likely never ride, such as FJRMartin. He's done some amazing rides in beautiful places that I'll likely never go. That may or may not be important to you, but I'd advise against choosing a bike that has been phased out long ago, or is super rare, as you won't be able to learn as much that way, nor find a helping hand with maintenance or getting parts.

All of my counseling nonsense aside, I'll sum it up and hit the high points:
*I applaud your seeming maturity and sense of financial responsibility for working and saving toward a goal.
*Thank you for not wanting to start your hobby on a 600 supersport and being a statistic
* The RX you choose won't give you instant street cred with your riding peers until they see it for themselves, then you'll get some admiration (ask FJRMartin, he does a lot of dual sport group rides, but it's been my experience on a lesser level)
* It's a very good quality, nice looking bike, and is a credit to Chinese manufacturing and CSC for customer service which is the best I've ever seen
* Its a good enough bike that you wont see it as a newbie bike and feel the need to upgrade in 6 months than you would say on a Ninja 250. It's a bike you can keep and enjoy
* Keep learning as much as you can. Its a rewarding sport/hobby that can change your life with your experiences, the places you go, and the people you meet.

To see what is possible on this bike, or one like it, watch this guys video, it never fails to inspire me... and good luck on your journey
(if that doesn't work, YouTube: Alex Chacon Modern Motorcycle Diaries 500 days from Alaska to Argentina)

Old 12-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Damn I wrote a lot.... must...stop...at...3 cups...of....coffee....

Old 12-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #9

If I can be up feeding the Nugget at 2:00 am and reply, you can write as much as you like! I think that you did a great job covering all the things that will be important as a whole in life, and not just with the bike. Let's see what direction Jaydam decides to take. Have a great weekend!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-02-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Thumbs Down I wouldn’t buy an RXR250

I purchased a new CSC RXR250 and it was shipped free to my address.
After unpacking it and trying to get it running and adjusted, I noticed many small parts, lot of screws, bolts, and other fasteners were missing or had fallen off during shipping. I also found the drive chain was too tight, the clutch cable play was nonexistent and the rear wheel was out of alignment.
When I finally took it out for a ride, the engine was not very smooth and the bike would not hold a constant speed. You would think that fuel injection would be less finicky than a carburetor.
I was really disappointed that CSC didn’t finish the initial set up and adjustments as advertised. I guess that they employee a lot of trainees!
Since your located in Colorado, you’ll have a lot of fun setting up your bike and getting it to run smooth and correctly!
I’d recommend purchasing a used, non-Chinese bike as your first bike. It will be a lot easier to get help with any problems that arise.
As far as finding local help with a Chinese bike, good luck with that. A lot of motorcycle mechanics will just refuse to work on Chinese bikes.
Basically I was very disappointed with my purchase and would not recommend the RXR250 to anybody.
GOOD LUCK!

Old 12-02-2017, 01:24 PM   #11

Dang guys thanks for all the advice! You have certainly persuaded me towards the RX3 as in the summer I am actually planning a little road trip possibly to Canada or partly across the US, and this made me think of the storage containers and everything else that comes on the RX3. SO I am reconsidering the RX3 considering what it all comes with compared to the stripped down RXR. Interestingly enough the RX3 is on sale right now bummer :/ for $3500.

Something I saw a lot that I forgot to say was I'm decently confident on fixing most things with the motorcycle such as the valves, oil of course, tires, coolant all that fun basic maintenance; I'm actually in the process of working on a project car, a 1990 Toyota Celica GT from an automatic to a manual which will get done at this rate never... But it is out! Anyhow, I actually feel extremely confident on the repairing of CSC's as I've heard from you guys and other that they are fantastic when it comes to their customer service and care, I'd have the warranty to back it up, and if the guide they have doesn't have it I'm sure this forum page would.

As Pyoungbi said I do have to think about the stocks of the bikes as that is a problem, though I'm not entirely sure to what extent I'll presume since the RX3 is their most common bike by far (TT250 Also...) it would be more likely to be in stock.

PS thank you AdventureDad for the bunch you wrote, believe me all of it helps, And of course everyone thank you!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #12

I'm a little biased but I say go for it.

Valve adjustments are the biggest regular maintenance item. If you have average mechanical skills, some patience, sockets, wrenches and feeler gauges its really not a big deal. The manual cd that comes with the bike is pretty comprehensive. The valve adjustment and a number of other maintenance items are covered here on CR. CSC is just a phone call away and more than willing to give you advise if you run into issues. Gerry and team are great. Dont' forget the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty.

I'm in Colorado as well. Just moved to rural southern Colorado/Sangre De Cristos from the Denver area. You will not regret getting the RXR or RX3 in the twisties and on the thousands of miles of National Forest roads in the state. Give the RX3 some thought. Lots of moto-camping opportunities near the Denver area as well as the rest of the state. The cases will hold a good bit of gear. It easily holds my backpacking set up plus fishing gear. Doesn't take long to pull the cases and guards off if you want to lighten the load.

We get a lot of blue bird days in winter. Get some decent cold weather gear, heat grips or gloves and you can ride year round barring snow and ice. Highly suggest getting the 13T front sprocket was well, only $13 from CSC. Gives you a little more low end grunt for hills and such without giving up much on the top end. If seat height is not an issue also look the Kenda 270's or Shinko 244's. Good 60/40 dual sport tire that wears well and handles well both on and off pavement and are reasonably priced.

I've had more people curious about the RX3 at gas stations and stop lights than have panned it for being a Chinese bike.

If you need to save your nickels a little while longer, CSC will put them on sale again at some point or offer free shipping around to July 4th or Labor Day.

Best of Luck
Rojo

Old 12-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

If you have time and tools to completely service and properly assemble the bike before you ever start it up, the RX3 makes a great first bike. It is made in China. Unlike most Chinabikes, if you go through the bike end to end before hitting the road, then stay atop the maintenance with the proper materials, you'll have a great ride for many miles. Building an equivalent motorcycle from a Japanese or European maker would cost twice or triple as much, so consider your discipline, study, and development of mechanical skills an investment in your ride, your finances, and yourself. You won't regret doing it right. It is definitely worth the trip.

A gentle break in is necessary to protect the brakes from overheating, and therefore warping. Or maybe the hubs are not properly machined to provide a flat mounting surface for the rotor. Check your rotor mounts before starting the bike. CSC has already posted videos to get you through the process.

CSC seems to have been very conservative on the RX3's capabilities right out of the box and has already made several design and maintenance changes to improve the rider relationship. Such changes seem to be very positive and successful, so the newer version seems significantly improved.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:26 PM   #14

Guys I want to thank you all for your support but I went down a little different path today. As Culcune said if you find a Japanese bike go for it. I went down that exact path I just purchased myself a 2000 Suzuki 650 with 21k a few dings here and there for 1100 Dollars, I rode it just a little today just down my neighborhood streets, it does need a new battery and the muffler was cut off so it kinda shoots flames with the choke on (Since it is cold and winter...) but I am in love right now.

I still have to register the bike and all that fun so it'll be a few days most likely till I can ride it but until then...

Still, I really want to thank every one of you guys for guiding me to this point I am super excited to start riding the streets!

Old 01-24-2018, 02:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydam View Post
Guys I want to thank you all for your support but I went down a little different path today. As Culcune said if you find a Japanese bike go for it. I went down that exact path I just purchased myself a 2000 Suzuki 650 with 21k a few dings here and there for 1100 Dollars, I rode it just a little today just down my neighborhood streets, it does need a new battery and the muffler was cut off so it kinda shoots flames with the choke on (Since it is cold and winter...) but I am in love right now.

I still have to register the bike and all that fun so it'll be a few days most likely till I can ride it but until then...

Still, I really want to thank every one of you guys for guiding me to this point I am super excited to start riding the streets!
Ohh, sounds like an early 2000's SV650. I had one of those, and they are great bikes! Don't feel like you let us down at all. That is a great starter bike, and it should keep you happy for quite a while.

Tags
csc, first motocycle, first ride, rx3, rxr