Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 02-14-2018, 11:28 AM   #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
I'm in the midst of installing the Progressive upgraded shock from CSC. This is a nice looking peice of kit. While doing this I'm cleaning out and repacking all of the suspension link bearings with grease. I can happily report they are all of the needle bearing type and were all found with adequate grease except the main swing arm bearings; they were effective dry. Well, they aren't dry any more; all bearing have been liberally stuffed with blue Bell Ray waterproof goodness. Just a heads up to those doing and suspension maintance that it is worth pulling the swing arm and checking the bearings.

On a side note has anyone (spud most likely) dropped the triple clamps and inspected the head stock bearings? They are another common place many motorcycle OEMs skimp on the greasy goodness. I'll be doing this when I pull the forks to change the oil to 10wt.
Any thoughts about drilling and tapping for zerk fittings for some of these locations? Seems like a sound idea, especially if you often flog the bike off-road or do a lot of water crossings, but I don't know the feasibility of it on the RX3.

Charles.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Any thoughts about drilling and tapping for zerk fittings for some of these locations? Seems like a sound idea, especially if you often flog the bike off-road or do a lot of water crossings, but I don't know the feasibility of it on the RX3.

Charles.
The '16 and later RX3's already have zerk fittings installed for the swingarm bearings. It might be worthwhile to install some on the shock linkage but those are pretty easy to access so I have not bothered.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #678

I had a 2016 and mine did NOT have the zerk fittings. I asked Gerry about it and he said they stopped using them as folks kept breaking them off and suggested not adding them if you ride off-road.

Old 02-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #679

Sitting at a company shop, stuck, miles from home. Grrrrr!

Anywho, just finished all 46 pages of this thread. Lots of good ideas for lots of little fixits. Several ideas on parts to stock up for common fixits that may be hiding around the next holiday.

Answers to a couple of discussions:

1) Wheel sprockets are cut slightly out-of-round intentionally. Otherwise harmonics rear their ugly voices. Other than that, varying wear on different parts of a chain is quite common, so that is true, too.

2) A couple posts and a few other threads hold complaints of rapid wear of smallish countershaft sprockets. My experience over dozens of years has been that the biggest countershaft sprocket that will fit, then finalize the drive ratio with an appropriate rear wheel sprocket, and the best chain one can afford is the best for bikes that see lots of highway miles. Might cost a bit more to install such a system, but the expense is usually covered several times over with a 5- or 6-times increase in miles before a premium system fails compared to taking the "cheap" way out.

3) In the U. S. of A. it is a violation of federal law to modify a street vehicle headlight. The LED and HID systems that fit lamps designed for H4 and 9003 bulbs are also illegal, as they modify a headlamp by changing the lumen source technology. OEM headlights of any type are legal, if properly patterned and aimed. Modified or misadjusted headlights are not legal.

With all the blinded drivers out there that have suffered crashes from being blinded by such illegal modifications, many states are now rewriting state vehicle equipment codes to better empower state and local law enforcement officers to enforce the federal intent. Don't be surprised if cops begin targeting odd color, extremely bright, poorly patterned, and/or improperly aimed headlights, fog lights, and/or other forms of auxiliary lights for active ticketing enforcement. Too many people are needlessly dying from misused and mismodified lights. The latest Harley Davidson LEDs are examples of a good thing gone wrong because light intensity has seemed to become a compensation thing for those suffering condemnation to the low end of the mushroom curve.

Then, there are millions of people who have modified the lumens source of or turned their fog lights up to search for cheap nuts. Fog lights should never be turned on when low beams are on. The purpose of fog lights is to illuminate a little road surface to move a vehicle at a very slow pace when vision is blocked by airborne detritus with a minimum of glare from light reflecting off the detritus Fog lights are well over-driven at common speed limits in parking lots and have absolutely no legitimate use on higher speed roads. None. Huh, what? Oh, cheap nuts are those found under a buck. Anyone running fog lights when their is good visibility and high speeds are safe with headlights obviously has a mental illness concerning sexual activities with animals. There is no other logical explanation for the misuse of fog lights.

The H4 headlight bulb itself also illegal. The 9003 is built to the same drawing as the H4, with significantly tighter manufacturing tolerances. Therefore, the only replacement bulb that is legal in the U. S. of A. for highway use is a halogen 9003, which may or may not be marked H4. H4 means nothing in the U. S. of A. Not a terrible thing, considering there are several manufacturers of 9003 bulbs that are significantly brighter and better fill the illumination pattern than the 35 watt OEM RX3 bulb, yet gain their superior lumens by the use of more expensive materials rather than upping voltages as high as so many popular H4s (illegal) do.

I'm partial to the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9003, but there are several other brands just as good, maybe even better. Buy a pair, cut a few vent holes in the back of the RX3 headlight to allow heat to escape. Don't be surprised at a relatively short 2000 hour life. Such premium bulbs run hot. That's why best to buy a pair so you have a spare. The Ultra 9003 draws 55 watts on low beam, 60 watts on high beam, but the stock RX3 electrical system handles the load just fine. With a Silverstar Ultra 9003 I really don't need auxiliary lighting on the highway. One bulb is enough, even at 70mph. Silverstar Ultras and other legitimate premium 9003s are that good.

However, a little light to the sides of the existing pattern would be quite comforting in low speed, tight turn, crowded situations. That calls for auxiliary lighting.

As for HID and LED auxiliary lights, any technology that generates lumens is legal. Just make sure not to change to a different light emitting technology than originally fitted by the manufacturer.

Any light that illuminates above the horizontal on low beam is illegal. The exception is late model headlights that some moron in DC has decided should project 20% of their low beam lumens on street signs above and beside the road. I can't fix the stupids of such government morons. Sorry. Yes, they are stupid--the rest of us figure out quite quickly how to flick the high beams to read a sign without blinding oncoming traffic with a permanent focus on their eyes since we are not to stupid to flick the high beams to read signs as the government morons are. However, an auxiliary lighting used on low beam must NOT pattern above horizontal.

The headlight now features a Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulb. The 5 3/4 inch diameter headlights on each side of the headlight are LED systems made by J. W. Speaker, specifically for motorcycles. They are Adaptive LED Model 8691. They have a fairly normal low beam with a perfectly flat topped pattern and more light closer to the bike. Nice offroad. High beam is pretty normal, just brighter. There are a couple other features. When leaning into a turn extra LEDs illuminate the area beside the normal headlight patterns that normally go dark while cornering. Super confidence inspiring. There's a super high beam that I think lights up every LED in the housing. Very good anywhere no oncoming traffic. Shows up overhead and roadside signs, too. Not cheap, but all my illumination is functional and LEGAL.

So, how to tell if your choice is legal? DOT doesn't test every product. DOT lists expectations and limitations for specific types of products. Business people claim their products meet the DOT expectations and limitations when they place "DOT" on their product. I've seen such "DOT" marks cast or ground into glass on lamps, on stickers stuck on lamps, and of waterproof ink stamped on lamps. If a product marked "DOT" is reported to the DOT as not meeting the DOT's expectations and limitations, then the DOT may choose to test that product. Don't bet on it.

Anywho, with all the levels of government devising new ways to deal with the lower bell curve hooligans who are too stupid to use vehicle lights safely and responsibly, best to start learning about the DOT's lighting expectations and limitations and start living by them There are very functional options available in auxiliary lighting that meet DOT's notions, but they generally are not inexpensive. Cheap crap coming from the Orient isn't going to cut it.

Some things to shoot for:

Head and auxiliary light colors range from amber for fog lights to white for headlights. Some incandescent bulbs give off a slightly amber light, and that's okay. A very light amber tint won't usually be a problem with headlights, but the brighter headlights are, generally the whiter the illumination. No idea where the governments will go with this. One thing for sure, too amber headlights will be as big an issue as blue, green, pink, purple, and any other color headlight. Ticket city.

DO NOT run any lights on the street that have "NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE", "FOR OFF HIGHWAY USE ONLY", "NOT LEGAL FOR USE ON PUBLIC ROADS", or anything similar.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #680

Just also went with the Shinko 244s, a new set of sprockets & chain. For my sprocket set went with 13/44 to get a little more grunt out of the engine. Looking forward to getting my parts and getting them on the bike.

As always, Gerry at CSC was awesome, spending a good amount of time with me on the phone researching all tire options for the weird 18" front rim. Steve just can't pay that guy enough - he's a phenomenal asset to their team. Thank you Gerry!
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 PM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Just also went with the Shinko 244s, a new set of sprockets & chain. For my sprocket set went with 13/44 to get a little more grunt out of the engine. Looking forward to getting my parts and getting them on the bike.

As always, Gerry at CSC was awesome, spending a good amount of time with me on the phone researching all tire options for the weird 18" front rim. Steve just can't pay that guy enough - he's a phenomenal asset to their team. Thank you Gerry!
So that's why Gerry took so long to get me my replacement ignition lock?! Hehe I went with 3.00x18 front tire. I was caught between that and a 3.5. I was thinking the 3.5 would mean a taller tire and thus more ground clearance and more accurate spedometer but I read that it'd be a bear to maneuver around on the dirt.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #682

What did you do FOR your RX3 today

Mid February leads one to work on garage projects because it's just too miserable to ride. This time I'm getting ready to take my Zong to Daytona Beach, Florida. Given the fact that I'm camping there for almost two weeks and the weather will range from wet and cold to toasty warm I'm trailering two bikes and a ton of camping gear. I decided to fab up a strong chock for the Zong. Yes, for $45 I can buy a basic chock but what's the fun in that!
Using my spare wheel, which happens to be the 19" one I'll be mounting on the bike, I started laying out possible options.

The final product looks complicated but when you put a wheel in place it all starts to make sense

Now you can see that the front wheel will be secure both laterally and front to back. There is also a locking tab to keep the rear ramp in place.

Peter Y.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #683

The sun came out today first time in about a week had to shovel two feet of snow from in front of the shed were the ZONG sleeps got it out for a short ride everything all good same gas from five months ago [love that Startron] lubed chain still runs like it was new now that I can get to it will do better PM love my Zong

Old 04-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #684

Put a new battery in Mrs. 2LZ blue one (and her TT250). It's my annual roll of the dice on which batteries won't make the winter, even on Schumacher float chargers.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #685

think I got lucky with my batt. still same since new of course I just jinx self

Old 04-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #686

Got a new chain and sprockets on Rex, going down a tooth in the front. While hard to tell if it has more grunt down low, I do feel I lost some top end. We'll have to see how it fares up on the highway.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 04-24-2018, 10:24 AM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Got a new chain and sprockets on Rex, going down a tooth in the front. While hard to tell if it has more grunt down low, I do feel I lost some top end. We'll have to see how it fares up on the highway.
When I dropped a tooth up front, it was definitely easier to take off without as much clutch slip. I don't want to say that top end suffered but it wasn't as comfy at freeway speeds.....not that the RX3 is very comfy at freeway speeds anyway.

Mrs. 2LZ likes the 13 tooth and stock rear sprocket on her RX3. I went back to a 14 and put the 45(?) on the rear. For how and where we ride (and my particular girth), it's perfect.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 05-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #688

Hrm, any chance the RX3 could be fitted with a dual-sprocket setup? It's a common mod on the TW200, and it's something that was fitted to a lot of enduros back in the 70s.

Charles.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
Hrm, any chance the RX3 could be fitted with a dual-sprocket setup? It's a common mod on the TW200, and it's something that was fitted to a lot of enduros back in the 70s.

Charles.
Sure, it could be done. I just don't know of anyone who has ventured there.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:11 PM   #690

Here's a few things you can do!

Here are a few cool mods you can buy from me and I will ship worldwide!
300cc upgrade
320mm Front brake and caliper 4 pot
ABS system
Clucth kit and pretty much anything you might need for your RX3 and I will do my best to match or better any online deal.

Last edited by NzBrakelathes; 07-18-2019 at 09:52 PM.