Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3

Old 04-10-2016, 06:38 AM   #1

What Did You Do to Your RX3 Today?

Yesterday I completed the new paint job for my RX3.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #2

Looking good, spud! That's a classy shade of blue. What kind of paint did you use ... Plastidip?

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

Changed rear rim to 215 x 17
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-04-05 18.29.32.jpg (93.5 KB, 2598 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-06 20.54.30.jpg (90.3 KB, 2749 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-06 23.48.48.jpg (98.0 KB, 2481 views)
File Type: jpg 2016-04-09 10.48.38.jpg (94.6 KB, 2552 views)

Old 04-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Looking good, spud! That's a classy shade of blue. What kind of paint did you use ... Plastidip?
Thank you; I am pleased with the results.

I painted both of my Zongshen motorcycles with Krylon Fusion spray paint.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-for-plastic/

I then sprayed most of the parts with Krylon Fusion Clear Coat, which provides UV protection.

http://www.krylon.com/products/fusio...plastic-clear/

I painted the RX3 fuel tank and plastic 'wings' with SprayMax 2K Clear Coat, which is fuel and UV resistant. I wore a 95P respirator while spraying this product.

http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
Changed rear rim to 215 x 17
You did a nice job, Jaunro.

I laced a size 2.50-17 rim to the hub of my rear wheel.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14974

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #6

Rats

We had beautiful weather here Saturday so some friends an I rode 200 miles to go check out their cabin that is by Layman Hot Springs in Oregon. We went up the old Emigrant Pass where the lads got to navigate the twisties of the old highway.
On the way back my RX3 was running fine till after we stopped for lunch. Then it would act like when you hit the kill button while going down the road ,it just would go dead. At 40-50mph I would pull in the clutch and let it back out which bump started it again and I continued on till we got to the next town 30 miles away. Every few minutes it would die, pull in clutch lever and bump start it and continue on before coming to a halt. Thankfully almost no traffic out where we were. My friend asked if I was running out of gas. Looked in tank and there was plenty sloshing around. Trip meter had 178 on it and I knew I could go to 200+.
Oh boy I thought , I'd finally get to use some of that 2 year warranty. Out in the middle of nowhere is the place to use your warrantee, gives you more bragging rights I always say.
I would call up CSC and they would coddle me and tell me exactly this and that an what was wrong and parts would be on the way pronto. I was thinking a new fuel injector or maybe a computer brain thingy or a fuel pump would be just the ticket warrantee wise.
I also unplugged the clutch lever safety switch wires thinking maybe they were the problem since when I pulled the clutch in and out it would bump start right up. I pinched them a little as they were loose on the mating connection but that didn't stop the dying. Next I looked at the sensor with allen screw that is on the throttle body, but couldn't get it off as it was roasting hot in there by the motor and exhaust pipe.
Friend kept asking me if I was running out of gas? Didn't think so ,still sloshing and under 200 miles on trip meter. Anyways we finally got to Pilot Rock and filled up at the gas station. 2.78 gallons. Fired it up and headed out of town and it bobbled a little then cleared up and ran like a banshee for the next hour all the way home. Whaaaaat????? But it wouldn't idle at stop lights so I pulled over with my friend as we got into town to say our goodbyes an I thought I would adjust the idle screw to get the idle back where it needs to be. Still to hot to get my hands in there so I thought I'd just leave it for tomorrow.
Anyway when I got back to my house the idle was where it was supposed to be an I hadn't touched or fixed anything????? just added gas and shut it off and restarted it several times.
So looking back on my adventure I think it was running out of gas and sloshing about not able for fuel pump to get enough gas, but I have never experienced it acting this way before at less then 200 miles on tank. Once I filled tank up problem went away in 30 seconds. The idling issue I assume was computer trying to compensate for all the dying and restarting nonsense while going down the road and maybe it got confused???? Is there a servo motor thingy that adjusts something somewhere that would affect idle?
Could a pick up tube have come off in the tank. I did have the tank off to adjust valves and maybe something inside came loose or flopped over when I put tank on it's back to keep fuel from running out?
Dou you think it hurt the fuel pump any running it low and starving it for gas?
Any ideas?
And what's the use of having a 2 year warranty if I never get to use it anyway and the bike kinda heals itself ???? dang Chinese stuff rj

Old 04-11-2016, 02:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
...Is there a servo motor thingy that adjusts something somewhere that would affect idle?...
Yes, the idle stepper motor (idle air control valve) is located on the throttle body.

http://www.delphi.com/docs/default-s...f.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Quote:
...Could a pick up tube have come off in the tank. I did have the tank off to adjust valves and maybe something inside came loose or flopped over when I put tank on it's back to keep fuel from running out?...
No, the fuel pickup tube is very large, and very robust. It is the white tube shown in the photograph below. It will not fall off, or lose the correct position, even if you invert the fuel tank.

Quote:
...Dou you think it hurt the fuel pump any running it low and starving it for gas?
Any ideas?...
I think the fuel pump is pretty robust. However, you might want to perform the following checks.

Insufficient Fuel Supply

Turn the engine off for 15 seconds. Turn on the ignition, and listen for the fuel pump to build pressure in the fuel system.

Remove the fuel injector from the throttle body, and press the starter button. The injector should spray fuel.

Turn off the ignition. Connect a fuel pressure meter to the fuel pump. Turn on the ignition. The meter should read a fuel pressure of 36 psi. If the pressure deviates more than 3 psi, either high or low, replace the fuel pump.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15675

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

my experience with a similar problem on a different bike: fuel pump
check electrical connections and pressure (with low fuel level).
check fuel filter
treat fuel with StarTron, Techron or Sea Foam.

Old 04-11-2016, 11:28 PM   #9

RJ's puzzling situation.

That's a curious one, RJ.

It may not warrant exploratory surgery since you have quite a lot of fuel in the tank now. Keep riding it and see what happens at about the same miles. Perhaps start strapping a can with about 1/2 gallon of gas on if it reoccurs while riding.

If you can wait until time for the next valve adjustment, that would be a good time to tear in to the tank. If you're really eager to get in to it, or just very bored, I suggest checking the pump's inlet cover. I can't quite tell from the picture, but like many machines it looks to have a mesh/fabric sock over it. If the lower portion has gotten obstructed then it can behave more like a tube, allowing only fuel or air to get drawn in to it. Kind of like when a petcock "On" pipe is near the fuel level and needs to be switched to Reserve.

It's a long shot, but all I got. As to the fuel pump being hurt, sounds like you still had plenty to cool it if it only took 2.7 gallons.

Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 PM   #10

A little update on my bike problem mentioned above. Road it again today with 3/4 of a tank of gas , it started dying intermittently again. I nursed it back to my shop and figured it had to be something I did since I adjusted the valves a few weeks ago. Maybe I put a kink in the gas line when I put tank back on? Anyways it all looked OK. I also put back in the old S'plug if perchance the new NGK was faulty. I grabbed the battery tender lead to plug it in for charging cause I kinda ran the battery down trying to start it out in the country. It came away from the terminals that had been loosened an not retightened by someone (ahem). Apparently it made good enough contact most of the time but giggled loose some of the time keeping it from running all of the time. As I took it on a test run after tightening and buttoning everything back up I remember my dad telling me that most problems that seem complex usually aren't. Well except for woman
Thanks dad, rj

Old 04-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #11

Quote:
A little update on my bike problem mentioned above. Road it again today with 3/4 of a tank of gas , it started dying intermittently again. I nursed it back to my shop and figured it had to be something I did since I adjusted the valves a few weeks ago. Maybe I put a kink in the gas line when I put tank back on? Anyways it all looked OK. I also put back in the old S'plug if perchance the new NGK was faulty. I grabbed the battery tender lead to plug it in for charging cause I kinda ran the battery down trying to start it out in the country. It came away from the terminals that had been loosened an not retightened by someone (ahem). Apparently it made good enough contact most of the time but giggled loose some of the time keeping it from running all of the time. As I took it on a test run after tightening and buttoning everything back up I remember my dad telling me that most problems that seem complex usually aren't. Well except for woman
Thanks dad, rj
I'm glad you found the problem, RJ. Thanks for posting the update.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #12

It's amazing how those electric problems can present themselves in different ways, causing us to chase down the wrong rabbit holes. I was betting on a dying fuel pump. Good thing I don't gamble. Glad you found issue, more experience points
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-15-2016, 08:12 PM   #13

Today after 6700 miles and a year of ownership my OEM battery finally failed. Got a new one locally cause I wanted to ride this week end. For what it's worth, the $72 Wal-Mart Everstart AGM ES-TX12 will not fit as it's about 1/4" to tall. rj

Old 04-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Today after 6700 miles and a year of ownership my OEM battery finally failed. Got a new one locally cause I wanted to ride this week end. For what it's worth, the $72 Wal-Mart Everstart AGM ES-TX12 will not fit as it's about 1/4" to tall. rj
What battery did you purchase, and where did you buy it?

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-15-2016, 09:31 PM   #15

[QUOTE=SpudRider;211214

The meter should read a fuel pressure of 36 psi. If the pressure deviates more than 3 psi, either high or low, replace the fuel pump.

[/QUOTE]

just a thought.....................

Is there a preasure relif valve that holds the pressure?

on the XT the pump puts out 90psi but the pressure relief
valve holds the pressure at 48psi to the injector the rest of the fuel
returns to the tank....

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com