Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2015, 11:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You rode my Zongshen Sierra with that shock absorber over 500 miles to the Bonneville Salt Flats two years ago; what do you think?
I loved it. I could've ridden it home to Canada.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2015, 12:44 AM   #32

Quote:
You are wise to make one change at at time. If you loosened the shock spring preload by three turns, you now have virtually no spring preload. Is that correct? If I may ask, how much do you weight?
I have no knowledge of how consistent the factory is in setting up each bike, so it may be that mine was set up extra firm. I have not measured sag as I'm more of an old school seat of the pants rider, but there is definitely preload on the spring. My weight runs consistently between 170-175lbs.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 05-12-2015, 01:26 AM   #33

I bet you are correct. Thank you, George.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-17-2015, 12:00 AM   #34

Ugh. I think there is a lot of inconsistency in the preload setup on the bikes. I noticed very little rider sag when I got on my bike...very different feeling than when I get on my husband's bike. (Not a euphamism ).

I am guessing this means I'm going to have to try to back off the preload by a fair bit? Is there an obvious 'zero' preload position?. Looks like I need to go shopping for another tool

Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
Ugh. I think there is a lot of inconsistency in the preload setup on the bikes. I noticed very little rider sag when I got on my bike...very different feeling than when I get on my husband's bike. (Not a euphamism ).

I am guessing this means I'm going to have to try to back off the preload by a fair bit? Is there an obvious 'zero' preload position?. Looks like I need to go shopping for another tool
I counted the number of complete turns required to completely remove the preload from the shock spring. In other words, the spring was completely uncompressed, and there was a visible gap between the spring and the locking ring. Since I only counted three complete turns to this position, I knew the spring preload was at its minimum setting. Therefore, I tightened the spring three complete turns, and returned to the minimal preload setting, before I began my adjustments. I measured all adjustments from this mimimal preload setting, and finally settled at six full turns tighter than the mimimal preload setting.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-17-2015, 12:16 AM   #36

After loosening the allen nut on the locking collar, I was able to turn the spring with both hands. However, you can also use a punch and hammer to turn the locking collar. Turning the spring by hand is much faster, if you have the strength to do so.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-17-2015, 12:27 AM   #37

I Am going to have to see if the jack for our truck is suitable for lifting the bike. And then attempt to follow azrider George's shock spanner use to minimize what all has to come off the bike. Course if I don't have a Jack that will work I'll have to get a Jack *and* a spanner wrench

Old 05-17-2015, 12:30 AM   #38

A good tool is always an excellent investment.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodlandsprite View Post
I Am going to have to see if the jack for our truck is suitable for lifting the bike. And then attempt to follow azrider George's shock spanner use to minimize what all has to come off the bike. Course if I don't have a Jack that will work I'll have to get a Jack *and* a spanner wrench
Perhaps a bike lifter would be a good choice for you. I have the HF model, but it's a little clumsy. I've seen bike lifters that have very smooth operation, and decent mechanical advantage. This is similar to what I have: https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...rna-Lift-Stand

If you have the floor space, perhaps this would be easier for you: http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ift-61632.html It's on sale, too.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-17-2015, 04:41 PM   #40

Those are nice stands, Weld.

However, unlike my other motorcycles, the RX3 really wants to lift the front wheel, no matter how far back you place the jack. If you use a lift stand, you will definitely need to weight the front of the bike to loft the rear wheel. In fact, I think it is just about impossible to loft both wheels at the same time, because of the location of the circular mounts for the centerstand. Also, a lot of lift stands designed for dirt bikes won't adjust low enough to fit under the perimeter frame of the RX3.

I really like using the Husky jack for this purpose, since it is very unobtrusive, and allows wonderful access to the lower shock linkage. Since this linkage doesn't have any grease zerks, it will certainly need to be disassembled periodically for inspection, and lubrication.

Of course, the CSC centerstand will also work very well, as long as you weight the front wheel.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-17-2015, 04:46 PM   #41

One will also need to remove the swingarm for periodic inspection and lubrication of the bearings. The Husky jack provides a very stable platform for this procedure, yet it allows easy access to all the bolts, and allows plenty of space to remove the swingarm, and re-install it, et cetera.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 05-17-2015, 05:52 PM   #42

Quote:
Of course, the CSC centerstand will also work very well, as long as you weight the front wheel.
I was thinking that....but I have no center stand as yet but I could wait for it to arrive before tackling the shock adjustment. Still need to see if my jack from our truck would work...took advantage of the nice cooler weather today to go for a ride instead

Old 05-17-2015, 06:14 PM   #43

During the set up process I'll be adding Zerks to the swing arm pivots and shock mounts.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #44

*sigh* I also now understand why people out here buy houses with lots and lots of garage space. We have a 3-bay garage, but the 3rd bay is somewhat truncated by a built in shelf and the fact that one of the walls has an angled wall - it was fine until we shoehorned in the 2nd bike :P Looking for ways to clear up space in that bay now especially since the other bike doesn't have luggage on it right now and we intend to get it a set of cases at some point! Not to mention the various other pieces of equipment I think I'm going to be acquiring to do maintenance

Old 05-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #45

Quote:
However, unlike my other motorcycles, the RX3 really wants to lift the front wheel, no matter how far back you place the jack. If you use a lift stand, you will definitely need to weight the front of the bike to loft the rear wheel. In fact, I think it is just about impossible to loft both wheels at the same time, because of the location of the circular mounts for the centerstand. Also, a lot of lift stands designed for dirt bikes won't adjust low enough to fit under the perimeter frame of the RX3.
Having never seen an RX3 up close, I can't be sure, but I suspect that a ratchet tie-down strap that secures the frame to the jack would allow a level lift.

That presumes the jack will slide under the bike.