Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
A good source (insider) told me he thought the person who started Zongshen America was laundering money--so there was no real intention to actually service the brand forever.

As far as hope for this bike coming to the US, perhaps their joint venture with someone could get us this bike in a few years? Zongshen and Piaggio have a joint venture, and Piaggio have an established presence in the US, as well as Piaggio Group's Aprilia. If the bike is tested as reliable, perhaps, if not as a Zongshen, we could see it as one of the above?
Maybe we can get them to the table. Set up shop in Missouri and service the entire United States. I'm ready and able.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Holy BMW GS styling! I love it!

I can see that I'm going to have to watch Taobao for the luggage to appear.

Thanks Heavens that Zong is smart enough to continue producing orange bikes.
Here you go!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=36451152880

You get all 3 luggage boxes, including the mounting brackets, for only 780 CNY.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbracing View Post
Maybe we can get them to the table. Set up shop in Missouri and service the entire United States. I'm ready and able.
If you are ready to pay the shipping from China, then deal with customs, customs fees, taxes, et cetera, you can order a bike from China. The Deluxe Version, with luggage, costs 20800 Chinese Yuan ($3,431.38 USD).

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=36173529491

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Here you go!

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=36451152880

You get all 3 luggage boxes, including the mounting brackets, for only 780 CNY.
Thanks, Spud! I just placed a Taobao order this morning, so this will likely be my next order.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbracing View Post
The problem with any of the Chinese companies since I have followed the Chinese motorcycle industry for a bit longer than this site has been in existence is that none of the companies seem to want to actually invest here (or any other market). They rely on importers/distributors.

It works out in other countries because the price of bikes across the board are so high, it is worth it for importers. Even in Canada, there are many tariffs and whatnot across the board, so a $4500 Honda XR250 in the US would add much more in Canada. So, enterprising Canadians can offer Chinese bikes far cheaper there where they make more sense pricewise, even with the tariffs, taxes, etc. Here, the profit margin is low, so many importers have come and gone.

It would take an investor (well funded one at that) to properly fund bringing Zongshen to the US again. Spud mentioned the bikes costing $3300 or so, which wouldn't necessarily be the case since that is retail price (even in China). But, I am doubtful Zongshen will invest several million of its own dollars to open up for business, unfortunately.

Then, what price would it be worth to purchase a Zongshen vs. the Honda dual sport? Even with the quality improvement over the years, and the extras thrown into the deal, could someone realistically charge more than $3000 in the US? $3500, and you are only a grand away from Honda's MSRP, which doesn't make a big difference if you need to finance either one, as far as monthly payments go.

I could see if Piaggio brought these in to sell alongside their scooters under the Piaggio name, or Aprilia. Kind of like how M1nsk sells them under their name (M1nsk does still have a cult following in many countries, and their domestically produced bikes were terrible as far as quality is concerned, so this bike is a big, huge improvement for them, ironically). A Piaggio warranty and dealer network would help seal some deals, and with the proven quality and reliability once these bikes have a few years of being sold worldwide by the time they even got here.

SSR's dirtbike, for now, is the closest we will get to these, and if the engine is bulletproof, or close to it, at least that part of the research and quality tracking is taken care of here in the US. But that bike is obviously used for far different purposes than the RX3...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
...Then, what price would it be worth to purchase a Zongshen vs. the Honda dual sport? Even with the quality improvement over the years, and the extras thrown into the deal, could someone realistically charge more than $3000 in the US? $3500, and you are only a grand away from Honda's MSRP, which doesn't make a big difference if you need to finance either one, as far as monthly payments go...
I've been quoting the wholesale price for these bikes. As I stated, one would also have to add shipping costs from China, import fees, taxes, et cetera. I agree with Culcune. After all the costs are added, these bikes would not be competitive with the new Hondas being sold in the United States, let alone with the great deals available for used, Japanese motorcycles.

Also, owning a Chinese motorcycle in North America is much more challenging than owning a European or Japanese motorcycle, since the Chinese don't have any support network for parts, repair, et cetera. As always, whenever the price of a new Chinese motorcycle starts to approach $2,000, one is usually much better off to start looking for good deals on slightly used, Japanese motorcycles.

Nevertheless, I still like this Zongshen ZS250GY-3 motorcycle. I think this bike will sell well in the Philippines, Thailand, Belarus, and many other countries. Although this bike probably won't be imported to North America in any quantity for several years, if ever, I am still interested to learn more about this motorcycle. Also, we must recognize these forums have an international membership, and many of our members around the world will consider this bike a very viable option in their countries.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 09-15-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #22

not too cheap, but one could get convinced by a test ride. my dream is to buy one in china and go west via the silk road, it s been done, but it needs preparation to ride across the taklamakan desert. it may remain a dream because it needs a fair bit of preparation, some language skills and at least one other person to ride with. and of course it would be good to ride the bike here and work out its weaknesses and how to rectify them before we go on that trip.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingshoen View Post
not too cheap, but one could get convinced by a test ride. my dream is to buy one in china and go west via the silk road, it s been done, but it needs preparation to ride across the taklamakan desert. it may remain a dream because it needs a fair bit of preparation, some language skills and at least one other person to ride with. and of course it would be good to ride the bike here and work out its weaknesses and how to rectify them before we go on that trip.
Sounds like an awesome Long Way Round adventure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingshoen View Post
That sounds like a great adventure. Based upon my experience with my ZS200GY-2, I think the RX3 would be fit for the trip.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #25

Send a message via Skype™ to Daeouse
This bike looks amazing! It really does look like something special!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeouse View Post
This bike looks amazing! It really does look like something special!
This bike is definitely a heavyweight at 385 pounds. However, when you consider all the standard features I listed in post #4, this bike really does seem to be an excellent value.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Daeouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
This bike is definitely a heavyweight at 385 pounds. However, when you consider all the standard features I listed in post #4, this bike really does seem to be an excellent value.
Most definitely! With that list of extras, you're not giving up much in the way of equipment! I've seen more expensive main-stream bikes with less equipment than that with that price! That's Craigslist money right there! Very cool indeed! I hope you do get your hands on one, I'd love to hear a Ride Report from you about it!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeouse View Post
Most definitely! With that list of extras, you're not giving up much in the way of equipment! I've seen more expensive main-stream bikes with less equipment than that with that price! That's Craigslist money right there! Very cool indeed! I hope you do get your hands on one, I'd love to hear a Ride Report from you about it!
I've got too many motorcycles now! I doubt anyone in North America will acquire one of these bike soon, if ever. The Chinese correctly understand they can't compete with the Japanese in the U.S. market.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #29

Here's a nice review of the Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3) published at Chinamotoworld.com.

http://www.chinamotorworld.com/index...a=view&id=1793

I was alarmed to see this article lists the following tire sizes for the RX3.

Tires:
(Front) 100/90-18
(Rear) 130/90-15

I thought, when will Zongshen learn not to put a 15-inch rear wheel on a dual sport motorcycle?!

However, the Minski TRX300i sold in Eastern Europe lists the following tire sizes.

http://www.minsk-moto.com/en/enduro/trx-300i.html

Tires:
(Front) 100/90-18
(Rear) 130/70-17

Perhaps the Minsk TRX300i has different wheels from the Zongshen RX3? I hope the RX3 review made a mistake, and both bikes have a 17-inch rear wheel.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 02-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #30

If they delivered this for $2k with a payment plan, they would hit a home run.