Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #1

Key jamming when locking the steering

I did a quick search and it doesn't look like this has happened to anyone yet.

When I go to turn the key towards "Lock" the steering does not lock, instead the key gets seized up and I can't pull it out and takes great effort to switch the key back to the "off" position. I've been hesitant to ride as much partly because of the weather and partly because I think the steering might malfunction on me.

What to do what to do...

Just put in a warranty claim with Gerry.

Last edited by jogirob; 01-19-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Just put in a warranty claim with Gerry.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:55 PM   #2

jogirob, I spray a little lps or boeshield type wd40 lube in all my locks every year or so. If you've been riding in sand you may of got some granules / dirt inside the tumblers and it won't let the gizzards inside move like they should. also move the forks back and forth alittle each way and it may free it up while gently turning the key. rj

Old 01-19-2018, 10:40 PM   #3

Are you pushing the key down before you turn it and are the handlebars on full turn to the left or right?

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 02-01-2018, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZRider View Post
Are you pushing the key down before you turn it and are the handlebars on full turn to the left or right?

Yup. I've had this bike for about 10 months and it didn't start doing this till about a month ago.

I did leave the bike out in the rain the day before so maybe, hopefully, the tumblers inside the keyhole are just a little rusted or muddied up with dirt. I'll try that WD 40 trick and give you guys an update.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #5

WD40 is a good lubricant and water displacement formula, but it does tend to form a static cling between crud and metals. Seafoam Deep Creep does everything WD40 does EXCEPT form that nagging little attraction between crud and metals. Deep Creep actually does just the opposite and uses the electrical characteristics of many cruds to create a repulsive force between crud and metals. It isn't much force, but loose crud will often float off with the Deep Creep rather than stick like with WD40. Also, WD40 tends to cure slightly sticky and tends to allow dust to adhere, which grows into a layer of crud. Deep Creep dries dry and dust is not as likely to adhere to surfaces thus coated. Deep Creep is just as effective at displacing water as WD40, so the rust prevention is still there.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #6

Solved!

WD40 did the trick. Though it sounds like I'll have to resquirt it every now and again since it's gonna attract grime now >_<

My steering locking is still missing though. I think that day I was trying to force the bike to unlock I may have broken the mechanism. I ordered a throttle grip lock from Amazon for anti-theft and will continue to ride. I'm just hoping that whatever locks the steering doesn't one day drop into place while I'm out riding.