Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2018, 12:51 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextor View Post
Im doing this procedure. But the spring is very hard for my hand and only do 4 turns around the spring with my hand. You know any procedure for can do more turns? Thanks-
Is the rear wheel off the ground?

Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #92

Wheel of the ground helps AND do you have the tool? https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Ad.../dp/B005SUTYAY. Use it with a 3/8" socket and it's pretty easy

Old 01-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextor View Post
Im doing this procedure. But the spring is very hard for my hand and only do 4 turns around the spring with my hand. You know any procedure for can do more turns? Thanks-
I used a long punch tool to adjust the rear shock:

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0483

Also available on Amazon and other vendors.

You could also try a long flat blade screw driver to turn the adjusting rings.

jb

Old 11-02-2020, 03:21 PM   #94

The trick to getting any bike on the center stand isn't about pulling backwards at all. I find the rx3 extremely easy to put on the stand - way easier than my old CX500 or my V65 Magna. Put your right foot on the deployment pedal of the center stand. Hold the bike upright with your left hand on the left grip. All the left hand does is stabilze the bike, no pulling whatsoever. Grab the bike somewhere with your right hand as close to directly above your right foot as possible. Your elbow should be completely straight and your shoulder engaged, as if you are about to deadlift a barbell. Stand on the center stand pedal and keep your shoulder engaged. Don't use your biceps at all, the power comes from back, shoulder, and leg. Far bigger muscles than your biceps! If you do it right, the bike will literally shoot up. It requires no backwards pull whatsoever.

Charles.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:05 PM   #95

Although this thread is mainly about the RX3 I have some info on the RX4 to share
after the initial "first ride" I took out all the preload on my RX4 it has 2 nuts on the shock not a locking collar I just moved the nuts to the top of the shock... I did this to LOWER the bike which it did ! by 2" at least..... but the ride was still as bad as the first ride and it beat me to death.... I put on 121 miles like that and finally decided to attack the harsh ride issue.... I ordered a spring from Race tech and got a 10" long 2" i.d. by 500lb rate spring.... It rode just the same so I pulled off the shock put it in the vice and studied it a while the stock shock is 17" long eyelet to eyelet... it has a progressive or double rate spring on it that is exceedingly stiff... so I thought replacing the spring with something weaker was the answer. I was told that the spring rate of the stock shock was 650lbs so I thought I'd try 500lbs
I was wrong..... the problem was that the shock has a mear 2.1" of travel in it !
and the threads on the upper part of the shock that adjust the pre-load are about 4" long..... as you raise the nuts you lower the piston in the shock so in reality what I did by putting the nuts all the way to the top was bottom out the shock ! because of it's short stroke.... when I realised what I did and how I screwed up I put the stock spring back on and extended the shock all the way UP and then ran the nuts down to the top of the spring....
this will give me maximum shock travel and maximum seat height to my chagrin...
I can no longer flat foot that bike i could when I had the shock bottomed out but the ride was horrible ! I had to run 28 p.s.i. in the rear tire just to be able to ride it !
the only way I can get the seat height down is to buy a lowering kit or make a new horseshoe/dog bone that is longer so if anyone knows of a lowering kit for the RX4 please say so, I'm desperate !
..... the RX4 I have is a 2021 that I got from CSC and the weather is finally good enough to ride it... but it is definitely too tall for me with it lowered 2" I could flat foot both feet as a stop sign and I will have it like that again one way or another.... even if I have to fabricate up my own suspension bracket !.... it won't be the first time !
sense the shock on the RX4 only has a 2.1" travel the preload is a joke ! because if you set the preload to the normal sag etc.etc. you stand a real good chance of bottoming out the shock ! and that is probably why they put in such a heavy spring in the first place......
sitting on my bike is like sitting on a park bench there is no give at all....no flex when I get on it or jump up and bounce on it it is rock solid ... and that is the way it came !
....I am trying to change that as the roads around here are rough to say the least !
Bob...