Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #1

Good morning from Florida

We are planning a road trip from Florida to California with our RV next year and I've been looking at motorcycles for my wife and I (and 2 boys)to get around with when we stop. I found the Hawk 250 that has positive reviews all over the Web and would fit our needs.
I am planning to go off the beaten path a little and do some boondocking for a few days when we stop.
My riding has been on the street with 1000cc crochet rockets, I gave that up when my boys were born (my boys are 8&9). I rode a friend's CR125 a few times, that's the extent of my off road experience.

My plan was to get a couple bikes 3 or 4 months before we leave on our trip to get used to riding them and work out any "adjustments" that may arise.
The best price I found was $1,349 at www.lowestpriceatv.Com with free shipping which I think is a bargain!
Now we are thinking abut getting also a couple small dirt bikes (70cc) for our boys for them to go riding when the place is appropriate.

I haven't searched for reviews on those yet, I would appreciate input and thoughts

Old 10-08-2015, 11:08 AM   #2

As we often say to new members, a China bike requires a sense of humour. You need to be willing to perform your own maintenance and mods, as many shops won't work on them. There is a terrific community here that is willing to share experience and knowledge.

Good luck!

I'd love to see pics of your RV.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-09-2015, 09:23 AM   #4

Howdy! And welcome to the forum.
Anything you could ever need to know in regard to -- most -- China
made bikes you will likely find here. Just remember the search
feature. Even still, I myself find the search function somewhat
lacking many times so if you have any trouble with that by all
means always ask in a new post. I have asked (and still do)
many questions on here, even things not related to China bikes,
and everyone here tries to be very helpful! You are in a good place.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #5

Glad to be here

Hello guys, I'm anxious to get some bikes! My wife did the motorcycle safety riding course today and finishing tomorrow. I did the same riding course 22 years ago and I recommend it to everyone.

I started doing some research on helmets, I have always had full face helmets but I'm thinking about a modular helmet. Still doing my research.

I enjoy working on my vehicule and always did my own maintenance on my bikes, I have a good sence of humor and I think it will be fun...
I can fix or at least improve almost anything!

Attached is a picture of our RV, I have updated / improved a bunch of stuff in there.
Check out the page about our RV on our blog www.katzfamilyblog.wordpress.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141226_065531.jpg (93.0 KB, 183 views)

Old 10-12-2015, 10:57 PM   #6

Let us know where you guys will be on your travels--we are all over the place here! I live in Yuma, which might be on the way to San Diego if you came in (or going back on) the southern east/west route on I 8.

As far as small bikes for your sons? There are a multitude of pit bikes both for adults and children out there. Many brands as well. I think of all the motorsports products the Chinese make, pit bikes are among the best in quality. Proof? Watch youtube videos with actual kids riding them, crashing them, getting back up, and riding some more. I think it has something to do with physics since everything is shrunk, meaning all the cheap metal they use on the bikes is able to do a better job since it is far more compact than full-size bikes they make (which aren't as bad as conjecture and second-hand stories from 'friends of friends' make them out to be).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 10-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #7

That's a really sharp Class C.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-19-2015, 11:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
That's a really sharp Class C.
Thank you, it has been our home for almost a year now.
I've been hunting for an enclosed trailer to use on our trip and also use as a garage now for the bikes that I have not yet baught.
Slowly getting everything together, I should be buying a trailer this week.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Let us know where you guys will be on your travels--we are all over the place here! I live in Yuma, which might be on the way to San Diego if you came in (or going back on) the southern east/west route on I 8.

As far as small bikes for your sons? There are a multitude of pit bikes both for adults and children out there. Many brands as well. I think of all the motorsports products the Chinese make, pit bikes are among the best in quality. Proof? Watch youtube videos with actual kids riding them, crashing them, getting back up, and riding some more. I think it has something to do with physics since everything is shrunk, meaning all the cheap metal they use on the bikes is able to do a better job since it is far more compact than full-size bikes they make (which aren't as bad as conjecture and second-hand stories from 'friends of friends' make them out to be).
Not sure which way we will be going, I was thinking I10 but that was just a quick look at the map. I will post my route on here when we narrow it down. So far I have been taking notes of all the places that look interesting then we will narrow it down. I want to go up to the Sequoia forest as our farthest point.
It seems most members on this forum are from the western states, a place I look forward to visiting!

I have not looked at youtube or done any more research for my kids bikes, thanks for the tip I will check it out.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #10

Garage on wheels

Found a trailer at a great price, I had to get a place to keep the bikes first. I looked at a few trailers and negotiated this one down to $1250. I think this will give us plenty of space for our 2 bikes and the boys little bikes.
Getting ready! Next purchase will be a couple Hawk 250.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg received_10207459768109377.jpg (19.9 KB, 152 views)

Old 10-23-2015, 08:11 AM   #11

Welcome. That looks like a nice trailer. You live in a RV fulltime? If you want to come to Kansas I have plenty of yard space.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:03 AM   #12

I'd love to live in my RV for a year, especially if I had a shop to play in.

I like that cargo trailer; good score.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger View Post
Welcome. That looks like a nice trailer. You live in a RV fulltime? If you want to come to Kansas I have plenty of yard space.
I might take you up on your offer Thank you

We have lived on the RV for a year now, it wasn't planned that way but so far has turned out to be a great experience. My wife wrote about our experience and how we came to live in the RV. Check out our blog
Www.katzfamilyblog.wordpress.Com

I cleaned up the trailer a bit and put it in the corner of the yard to use as our shed for now. We have been doing the Dave Ramsey thing and pay for what we buy cash. It's not what we have always done but sticking with it, I now have to gather up some money to buy some motorcycles!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I'd love to live in my RV for a year, especially if I had a shop to play in.

I like that cargo trailer; good score.
Make it happen! I'm not 40 yet and have seen life go faster and faster every year.

My wife even told me she liked the trailer, that's always a plus!

Old 11-13-2015, 11:57 PM   #15

Sounds like you guys are going to have fun. My buddy and I just picked up a pair of hawks from apscusa.Com for $2400 shipped.