Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2016, 09:03 AM   #16

I totally get that. I dont have to overcompensate for anything so I can enjoy riding a smaller displacement bike. The break in miles are difficult with the slow speeds. I changed the heck out of my oil, and never really found more than some slight "fuzz" on the magnetic drain plug. Bedded in my brakes, and all is good. Nothing was loose, or vibrated loose. Mine was really well set up. You'll enjoy it more once you can really open it up.

I also look forward to putting on my 13t sproket, but realized I don't have a 30mm socket.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
I also look forward to putting on my 13t sproket, but realized I don't have a 30mm socket.
Do you have a 1-1/8" socket? 6 point is preferable but 12 point can work.
Some folks have noticed they have a 32 mm nut which is close to 1.250.

Or you're welcome to ride over to my place, I've got both 30 & 32.

Old 10-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #18

Mine has got to be a 32 mm. I have a 1" and it wont get anywhere even close to fitting on it. Thanks for the heads up. I'd love to ride to your place, but I'd need about a week as it's about 2k miles lol

Old 10-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Mine has got to be a 32 mm. I have a 1" and it wont get anywhere even close to fitting on it. Thanks for the heads up. I'd love to ride to your place, but I'd need about a week as it's about 2k miles lol
That's fine, I will be here.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:32 AM   #20

Once you know for sure what size the nut is, can you post it. Looking on the CSC site for a spare nut doesn't show the size but does ask you to specify whether your RX3 is a 2015 or 2016 so it must have changed and the size listed in the maint thread needs to be updated. I'm planning on changing mine soon and will need to purchase a socket for it. Thanks in advance!

Old 10-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #21

Never mind on posting it. I got off my lazy butt and ran down to the garage and measure the nut with my digital calipers. You are correct that it's a 32mm. So looks like the 2015 is a 30mm and the 2016 is a 32mm. Just ordered one off ebay!

Old 10-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #22

204 miles and did the first oil change. Bike has run flawlessly other than the neutral thing since it was first fired up. Been sticking mostly to gravel and back roads due to the 50mph limit at 5K. The oil, filter, filter, drain plus and screens looked good other than strong fuel smell in the oil. I also noticed the catch/drain tube from the crankcase vent had almost 2 inches of clear amber liquid in it. Drained it and it smelled a bit like fuel as well.

I ride bikes...big ones and small ones...dont care what others think of my choice of ride. I ride for my own pleasure and envision this little bike will fit me very well for its intended use. Mostly back roads and light off road and trail duties. Im going to change the oil again at 500 miles and do most of my mods then...13/45 sprockets, Center Stand and Big Foot side stand plate, Kenda K270's as well as sintered brake pads.

http://i67.tinypic.com/nx3kuw.jpg
1999 VMax, 1990 CB1, 1989 VTR250
1972 G90SS

Old 10-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmax View Post
The oil, filter, filter, drain plus and screens looked good other than strong fuel smell in the oil. I also noticed the catch/drain tube from the crankcase vent had almost 2 inches of clear amber liquid in it. Drained it and it smelled a bit like fuel as well.
Great to hear that you're enjoying the bike! Love your collection of bikes! I bet making a choice in the morning is tough!

In terms of the fuel in oil and the fuel in the collection tube, this is something that has been discussed on the forums for a little while. I think Katflap and Pyoungbl has found the answer... the thermostat is a little too cool and fuel is condensing instead of burning off. A high temp thermostat (and a little milling of the thermostat housing) seems to have resolved the issue. I think I need to order one of Whitman's thermostats!

Here's the URL for that thread:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...ght=thermostat

Old 10-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #24

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding the thermostat thread. I noticed quickly that this bike does run on the cool side and thought that may have much to do with not vaporizing fuel properly from the crankcase. I just ordered a thermostat from Watt-Man myself and will do the modification and install later when I have things apart for a valve adjustment/service

I drive my company car most days for work, but when the weekend arrives the bike that gets ridden depends upon the plan/route/distance scheduled for the day. My plan for the RX3 will be much like I used to use my KLX250S. Mostly light trail, fireroad and gravel travel. Although this bike wont have quite as much suspension travel, it does have a larger tank, more storage and much nicer ergonomics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
Great to hear that you're enjoying the bike! Love your collection of bikes! I bet making a choice in the morning is tough!

In terms of the fuel in oil and the fuel in the collection tube, this is something that has been discussed on the forums for a little while. I think Katflap and Pyoungbl has found the answer... the thermostat is a little too cool and fuel is condensing instead of burning off. A high temp thermostat (and a little milling of the thermostat housing) seems to have resolved the issue. I think I need to order one of Whitman's thermostats!

Here's the URL for that thread:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...ght=thermostat
1972 G90SS

Old 10-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #25

MrMax, the thermostat from Wattman is a bit larger than what is installed in your RX3.
OOEM on the left (with the rubber gasket removed) and Wattman 90C model on the right.

Inside the thermostat housing there is a ledge that you will need to remove in order to fit the new 'stat. Here's the stock housing:

I milled that ledge down, you can use a grinder. My end result:

you can see that you do not have to take off a lot of metal. Now my bike gets the oil up to about 100C on a decent ride. I have yet to take any measurements in cooler weather but I fully expect to see the bike running in the 4 bar range and thus burning off excess fuel/water in the oil.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #26

Man, thanks for all the pre-work guys. Mine obviously has the same thermostat....but clean smelling oil and my emission tube is bone dry.

I'll wait until I start showing symptoms before I worry about it.....still early in the ownership

Strange....I changed my oil yesterday with Rotella 15W 40, non-synthetic. When I went to leave for work this morning...pulled in the clutch and engine died when I clicked it into gear (lurched like clutch didn't disengage). Once warm...problem went away.

I'm thinking it's got to be the difference in going from 10W to 15W? Suppose I need to let it warm up a little longer before I head out I guess.

- MrMax....you'll be riding that RX3 more often than you think...this mileage war is not a dream
couple of 73 Yamaha RT 360's

Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #27

OMG...I just realized you listed the bikes chronologically....so OCD
couple of 73 Yamaha RT 360's

Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 AM   #28

Mine doesn't die like yours did but mine does lurch so I either start in neutral or I keep the brake on. Like yours, once warm it doesn't do it. Not sure if this will go away with miles as mine only has 550 miles on it.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #29

LOL...Dont think I didn't notice your 08 VFR listed before the 09 Connie Regarding this thing you refer to as "work"...Dont let him fool any of you...Warp spends most day's dreaming of bikes and toys and has a whole crew of guys doing the actual work

Used the Rotella T myself, no lurch here, and seems to shift a bit smoother now. However I almost always notice this after a full service with fresh fluid in my bikes. The most noticable was the harleys. Once I ditched their concept of one oil for all three holes and put a more specific oil type in the transmission. 75-90 gear oil made them both smoother and quieter than the 20-50 the motor company called for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp1 View Post
OMG...I just realized you listed the bikes chronologically....so OCD
1972 G90SS

Old 10-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #30

Welcome guys! I like the color choice! Don't let the "fast orange" guys fool you. The orange may be barely faster but the white handles much better and will kill them in the corners! ;-)

FYI- I changed to the 13T and left the rear stock. Seems to be a good combo for our area. I wouldn't want to gear it any shorter for our "Canyonland".

Regarding the stuck clutch when first starting, I had a Hondoid that would do that after sitting for a while. I just reved it a bit before I stuck it in gear. This would pop the plates loose. That issue should go away with miles.

I'm running synth right now but am going to go back to the Rotella. The synth sometimes gives me a tad of clutch chatter. This is the only bike that it's done that in out of all my bikes.

Like you guys, I was used to much larger bikes over the years and making the transition to the 250 was a minor adjustment but wow.....it's so tossable and flogable. Wait till you carve up some paved canyons. Very much fun!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350