Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #61

I forgot about the Harley/Zongshen deal--made back in the mid 00's from what I remember. I know we discussed it here on Chinariders loooong before even the release in China of the RX3! I am guessing that since 'free-trade' allows Chinese companies to send goods and services to the US, and set up whatever kind of dealer network it wants, and forces most any company wanting to do the same in China to create a joint-venture deal with well-established Chinese firms--makes perfect sense as 'free' trade, Harley went with 1 of the 2 largest Chinese powerhouses of the time--Zongshen (vs. Lifan). I am guessing that Loncin was on its way up (and may have already had BMW in deals), and a few others that were emerging were just not as large as Zongshen and Lifan. Politically, Zongshen is reported to have direct connections to the communist government vs. Lifan, so Harley might have been 'directed' to Zongshen in order to set up whatever joint venture they intended to set up in China.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-29-2017, 07:57 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
On their About page (click the Pages tab at top) they specify <=650cc, and small to mid-displacement bikes. There is also a restriction to two stroke participation, not sure why that might be.

Anyway BlackBike, if you don't check in to that Texas group you won't learn the answer about Chinese bikes. If they don't want them, do you really want to be among them?
Hehe, smile...not at the prices they are paying.

I'll show up on my rx4 one day and watch their jaws drop when I reveal the cost.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-30-2017, 06:46 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Hehe, smile...not at the prices they are paying.

I'll show up on my rx4 one day and watch their jaws drop when I reveal the cost.
Sad thing as it stands today the RX concept (be it 3 or 4) can only do some of our NDR rides - due to clearance issues, gearing, engine performance, suspension and weight as it is not truly a D/S bike, it is a light adventure bike - HUUUUUGE difference - to borrow POTUS's favorite sentiment.

Most of our NDR members are skilled experts at finding lightly used pre-owned bikes - that is what keeps their costs down and allows them to have a quiver of several bikes for different terrain conditions.

Low cost only goes so far when the bike won't be able to navigate the terrain the rest of the group is traveling. . . For me the RX3 fills a niche - but is not a do-all bike. Let it be known to all who have it or are considering buying it so nobody will think otherwise and damage bike or body trying to prove otherwise. But for what it is, A LIGHT ADV bike, it fits the bill just fine.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 01-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Sad thing as it stands today the RX concept (be it 3 or 4) can only do some of our NDR rides - due to clearance issues, gearing, engine performance, suspension and weight as it is not truly a D/S bike, it is a light adventure bike - HUUUUUGE difference - to borrow POTUS's favorite sentiment.

Most of our NDR members are skilled experts at finding lightly used pre-owned bikes - that is what keeps their costs down and allows them to have a quiver of several bikes for different terrain conditions.

Low cost only goes so far when the bike won't be able to navigate the terrain the rest of the group is traveling. . . For me the RX3 fills a niche - but is not a do-all bike. Let it be known to all who have it or are considering buying it so nobody will think otherwise and damage bike or body trying to prove otherwise. But for what it is, A LIGHT ADV bike, it fits the bill just fine.
Well, can't say I disagree with your experience as an rx3 owner and standing in adv community.

I do think that the rx4 will represent a closer model of the perfect bike between power and weight. Properly equipped tires ,etc should be an close to substitute for such heavier bikes like bmw's with similar capability. This is the reason I am torturing myself waiting for this "concept". And of course the low price is also nice. (I hear ya , there may be a HUUUGE tariff placed on an rx4 too which would not be surprising )
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #65

I'd echo what dualsportchic said about the RX3 not being a dual sport like the XT250 or CRF250L. You'll be quite disappointed if you're expecting that kind of offroad ability on the RX3.

I've used mine in the woods quite a bit and it's definitely not a dirt bike. The KLR 650 while heavier will outperform it due to suspension travel offroad. Any of the 250 dual sports would be a better choice if you're strictly after dirt with just a little pavement.

I would think of the RX3 as similar to something like the CB300 but with excellent crash bars a skid plate and built in luggage. It's basically got street bike suspension travel. This makes for a great handling bike on pavement within the limits of the suspension. However offroad if you want to go fast this is a poor choice as it runs out of suspension really fast and you'll lose control. Same for going over a log or anything like that, expect to whack the skid plate really hard. If you keep a slow pace the thing will get pretty far in the woods though as it's far lighter than other ADV bikes. If you watch the last minute or so of this video I made shortly after getting my RX3 you can see i'm speed limited by the suspension, I'm capable of riding significantly faster on rough dirt (75mph is comfortable for me). I was limited to about 30-40mph with the suspension travel. I had issues keeping pace with a couple of KLR's offroad due to this as well. Fast forward to 7:29.

I'm not trying to knock the RX3 but set people up with realistic expectations. If you took a standard 250 bike and slapped on some excellent crash protection, luggage and skidplate you basically got the RX3.

The upcoming KTM 390 ADV will probably be the real deal for offroadable lightweight ADV bikes but likely cost about 6000 when it shows.

Old 01-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #66

Seeing as the KTM EXC 350F has a price tag of $11k and the Duke 690 is about $8K, I'm betting that 390 is going to be more around the area of $7-8K - and probably waaaaaaay too tall for little 'ol me sadly : (. I am also looking forward to the unveiling as they will hit the ultimate sweet spot in light ADV touring with the displacment and you know it will be a 'dirty' bike with primo suspension and uber lightness. Dreaming on . . . .
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 01-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
Seeing as the KTM EXC 350F has a price tag of $11k and the Duke 690 is about $8K, I'm betting that 390 is going to be more around the area of $7-8K - and probably waaaaaaay too tall for little 'ol me sadly : (. I am also looking forward to the unveiling as they will hit the ultimate sweet spot in light ADV touring with the displacment and you know it will be a 'dirty' bike with primo suspension and uber lightness. Dreaming on . . . .
We may get lucky though, the 390 dukes 5000. They have the twin 800 on the way as well!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #68

I have another dual sport for real heavy trail riding. I've always felt the RX3 is basically a fun "twisty pavement" bike and good for gravel roads and light trails to get to your favorite fishin' hole or camp site. I never really thought it was anything more regarding off-road. It would be like taking a Jeep Patriot (which I own) and thinking it could circumnavigate the Rubicon. Not what it's designed for.........

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 01-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #69

There was talk on this site that the rx4 450ccmay come in around 6k

Now the KTM 390cc around 6k...

Will be a close race.

Will come down to ..extra goodies offered rx4 , vs, KTM prominence

Zongshen better get their act together if they want to play in North america.