Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2016, 10:46 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanro View Post
... I've been on travels where you have to do five hundred kilometers of two lane asphalt, then two hundred kilometers of packed dirt... and then a few kilometers like that. All in one day. And then I don't know if there's a bike more apt than the RX3 for -that-
Yeah like my Webster Pass trip. About 130 miles of pavement and 15 or so miles of trail. But I also setup the RX3 for the off-road portion ... wheels, tires, gearing, shock, fork oil, handlebar riser. It did awesome because I wanted it to succeed, not fail.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #32

Watched the video last night and agree with AdventureDad. Testing the bike on conditions and terrain that it was not designed for in the stock configuration and trying to compare it to a modified /plated dirt bike and a heavily suspension modified KLR is not really a valid "test". I think the test is trying to find the failure point to say "I told you so" on the whole CB thing. He's beaten the bike pretty hard so far and its done really well. He may just end up proving how tough and reliable the RX-3 really is.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:55 AM   #33

Yes of course. You have to prepare for it, and you have to want to keep it within the limits (bikes and yours). But man, it's rewarding...

Old 08-11-2016, 11:59 AM   #34

Rojo and others, I agree. Just looking at the view counter, these RX3 videos have a much higher viewer count that a lot of his other videos. I read through the comments (and commented as well) and a LOT of folks, the vast majority are interested in the bike and hoping it fares well. There was a valid point made that if the bike survives the abuse then it will look even better, but on the other side of that coin, if it fails (and all bikes break parts) then will we get an "I told you so...blah blah...Chinese crap...blah blah..." that was mentioned. A while back, he did do a very fair comparison of the KLR and the Vstrom. It seemed non-biased and realistic to the design and most common usage of the respective bikes. I wish this one was more like that in regards to riding style and terrain. All said, I am glad the bike is getting "mainstream" exposure, and maybe with his group of dual sport friends, we will discover some good, cheap mods out of all this.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #35

I have been following eveRide for quite a long while now. And boys & girls I must voice my thoughts & opinions here.
He will break it. Somewhere, somehow, I would bet a steak dinner on it.
1) He rides them ALL hard. He is TRYING to find it's weak spot. and he will
find that weak spot. Maybe tear off a front fork. Maybe split the swingarm into.
May blow the motor sky high. Who knows. But it will fail somehow. Test it till it breaks.
2) He will tell everyone to go get a used KLR650 instead of a new RX3 when it is all said and done. You just wait & see.
3) There is nothing, NOTHING else available in the USA made that one can realistically compare the RX3 to. ( as we all know here ). So he has no choice
but to compare it to what he has already ridden.

I am surprised, heck impressed even, how well it DID handle the terrain in yesterdays video!!! Not sure why he kept bogging it down. IT'S A 250, , , DOWNSHIFT DUM A**. . . . . lmao !!!!!

Old 08-11-2016, 10:23 PM   #36

Can I have the steak dinner if I agree with you?

Old 08-12-2016, 10:55 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Angel View Post
I have been following eveRide for quite a long while now. And boys & girls I must voice my thoughts & opinions here.
He will break it. Somewhere, somehow, I would bet a steak dinner on it.
1) He rides them ALL hard. He is TRYING to find it's weak spot. and he will
find that weak spot. Maybe tear off a front fork. Maybe split the swingarm into.
May blow the motor sky high. Who knows. But it will fail somehow. Test it till it breaks.
2) He will tell everyone to go get a used KLR650 instead of a new RX3 when it is all said and done. You just wait & see.
3) There is nothing, NOTHING else available in the USA made that one can realistically compare the RX3 to. ( as we all know here ). So he has no choice
but to compare it to what he has already ridden.

I am surprised, heck impressed even, how well it DID handle the terrain in yesterdays video!!! Not sure why he kept bogging it down. IT'S A 250, , , DOWNSHIFT DUM A**. . . . . lmao !!!!!
Man... I'm glad they didn't have test/shootouts like this when I was younger and reading bike mags. "Abuse it till it breaks" isn't a test of quality or craftsmanship, it's entertainment.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Man... I'm glad they didn't have test/shootouts like this when I was younger and reading bike mags. "Abuse it till it breaks" isn't a test of quality or craftsmanship, it's entertainment.
Agreed. As someone else wrote, this is the equivalent of Top Gear for automotive reviews. Entertaining? Yes. Useful? Not so much.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #39

Thumbs Up

LOL, I typed a quite articulate and entertaining post earlier referencing Top Gear, but deleted it because I seem to make reference to that show too often, even though I haven't seen it in a few years.

Keep in mind, this is the guy's job. His livelihood. He makes money "selling" himself, based on some foreign-to-me YouTube algorithm of views. He's got to be over the top, do the unexpected, the out of the box stuff to keep it going. I get that. It's why these young actors/actresses act like total dumbasses. They have managers and agents telling them to do whatever it takes to stay in the spotlight. Forget the old days of class and style, have wardrobe "malfunctions" shoplift, get a DUI or 3, just stay in the spotlight, good or bad. Sad thing is we as a society eat it up.

I'm not saying he is like that, but I am looking forward to him doing things on the bike I won't or can't, and the mods that come from it. Also, a lot of the comments are positive, and people are interested in our bike, and that's a good thing.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
I'm not saying he is like that, but I am looking forward to him doing things on the bike I won't or can't, and the mods that come from it. Also, a lot of the comments are positive, and people are interested in our bike, and that's a good thing.
Totally agree. I think that there's those out there who get the schtick but are really looking for something that suits their riding needs for a good price and value.
I'm sure there's a handful of people out there who are thinking "That China Bike hasn't broke YET!?"

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-12-2016, 02:36 PM   #41

EXTREME ! EXTREME ! EXTREME! As the guitar crunches in the background
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #42

I kinda want to go ride that single track; everide is in Utah somewhere right? Might make for a fun day drip. My experience on some moderately rough stuff is by picking smart lines the RX3 will get you there, just not real fast. But it's way more fun on tight twisty pavement and way more comfortable to spend all day munching miles on secondary highways then any type of real dirt bikes or dual sports. And way way cheaper then any of the big ADV bikes.

I think the ride I did that best highlights this bike capabilities is PHX to Clifton AZ (lots of 55 & 65 mph state HY), Devil's Backbone HY 191 (100 miles of 15 & 20 mph corners), cut over to Luna NM and explored dirt roads most of the way to Gallup. It was a fantastic 600+ mile day!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (20.4 KB, 299 views)

Last edited by 3banger; 08-13-2016 at 08:24 AM.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM   #43

I'm really looking forward to Everide's review. He's a tremendous rider and v-logger. Yes, while he may be skeptical, this is good - he will test the machine at its limits - which is important for all of us to know. His favorite ride is the DRZ which has gobs more power so its a given he'll be missing that low end grunt. But, as a very good rider, he'll also be able to hone in to the finer points of handling, suspension, durability and fun factor. I don't blame him for buying pre-owned either - he knows the bike is not in his 'strike zone' and he's not going to keep it so why waste the 'off the lot' funds when he found one still under 'break-in'.

I am looking to publish my own comparison review will be against a Yamaha XT250 (18 hp) which may be more of an even match. And I will also be putting the bike through its paces while tooling down dirt and gravel at high speeds. The RX3 is not meant for woods riding or gnarly off-road and it would be unfair to take it there. Hopefully Everide will level his review to an environment that suits the machine so we can see how it holds up under conditions the bike was designed for.

I'll be watching closely for his final review summary.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Last edited by Dualsport Chic; 08-18-2016 at 07:17 AM.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:16 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Chic View Post
I am looking to publish my own comparison review will be against a Yamaha XT250 (18 hp) which may be more of an even match. And I will also be putting the bike through its paces while tooling down dirt and gravel at high speeds. The RX3 is not meant for woods riding or gnarly off-road and it would be unfair to take it there. Hopefully Everide will level his review to an environment that suits the machine so we can see how it holds up under conditions the bike was designed for.
Just by how you're explaining your review and what you're comparing it to, I'm looking forward to your end result far more than everrides. My personal feeling is he's just out to thrash it beyond its means and its designated purpose, just to see if it can make it with a minimum of broken parts. Serious boulder bashing and comparing it to a big bore bike is absurd. Pure entertainment only.

Like many here, I've owned a ton of bikes over the decades and to me, the RX3 is what we used to call a "scrambler". It may look like an ADV bike but it's not made for the serious open road of the Great Plains like the big bore stuff out there.

The scrambler was a nimble bike basically designed for mostly pavement, a commuter, some trails and gravel roads to get you to your camp ground or fishin' hole. It had a longish seat to toss a set of saddle bags over to haul school books or some gear. This is what the RX3 really shines at, minus the need for a toss-over set of bags. It's a modern day scrambler and fills the void perfectly....and man is it fun on the twisties. ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-25-2016, 11:43 PM   #45

I don't care what the dude does to the bike. I just rode 3 legs of the Washington state back road discovery route. When the other riders post their videos this site will blow up with comments. We put our bikes through just as much if not more than this guy. If any of you have ridden the WABDR and have accented the trail to Bethel ridge you know how technical and challenging it can be. The RX3 isn't built for the type of riding we accomplished but guess what? It did it with flying colors. Maybe this bike won't last 50,000 miles but I guarantee I'll enjoy every mile until it won't go another mile. He can bash the bike all he wants. Those who want to buy it are going to and the others are going to bash it because it's Chinese crap. I'd like to see a non-bias review from a real reviewer that uses the bike for what it was intended to do. Well I've said my .02 worth.