Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee R View Post
..... I'm also working through some top end ticking issue on it right now with Gerry. Putting valves in spec (checked twice) didn't fix the issue.
I hope it's not the same metallic tapping/ticking I had......

Please keep us updated.

jb

Old 08-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
2LZ.. good point. I think the comparison (to which there is really none) is due to the physiological factors in play. Hang on for this one people...

The nasty word is chinese. We Americans want to see our selfs as the innovators in quality and production in every thing . Unfortunately this has long passed. I remember in the mid 2000's looking for a laptop computer that was not assembled in China. I was never able to find one and chose an acer. I began to realize that everything in our society was manufactured in China. Was this bad...of course as far as domestic manufacturing jobs go, a big yes. But should we demonize the Chinese for playing a game which we invented? And whole heartedly participated in ? No... (harbor freight #1).

This leads me back to the video blog dude who, if he is trying to make a comparison of a klr and a rx3 , he is only being Patriotic in a sense. Now I understand there are Japanese bikes and German bikes etc but those have long since been considered under the Patriotic wing of the United States and her allied sphere and will naturally get favor. But a CHINESE adv motorcycle...oh pleeessse.

Thank you and good nite...please step away from the pitchforks and torches.
LOL! You crack me up sometimes....

I get into that with people about the China Bikes and China in general, as well. On my old Victory site, I took HUGE FLACK for not buying American when I bought Q. I said, "If there was a "Milwaukee 200cc Dual Sport or a "Michigan 250 ADV bike", I'd be happy to go get one....BUT WE DON'T BUILD ANYTHING HERE ANYMORE!....and no one can blame China or anyone else, for taking advantage of the open and free market that we are not. (speaking of pitch forks).

In my mind, buying Japanese isn't buying American. It's buying Japanese and I don't owe them squat. The question is "which foreign country is going to give me the best bang for my buck?". Obviously, not Columbus Ohio or Bangor Maine.....or anyone else here. The smallest bike the U.S. builds is the Sporty and they suck on trails.

Bottom line, we don't have a ton of choices out there for small displacement get-arounds.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 08-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #18

New vid on utube. He does walk back on some of somewhat negative comments made on the first vid. Looks like some pretty rough trails for the RX-3

Rojo

Old 08-03-2016, 11:15 PM   #19

Thanks for posting the new vid rojo. We'll see what happens.....
I think he may end up like many of us with China bikes and especially the RX3. Your somewhat surprised for how much it gives you, as compared to how much you were expecting....and it grows on you.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-04-2016, 01:04 AM   #20

Some of those trails were pretty rough. I wonder if he has the 13T sprocket. I commented on his youtube channel and recommended it.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of his thrash sessions.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-05-2016, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfla View Post
I hope it's not the same metallic tapping/ticking I had......

Please keep us updated.

jb
Yeah I've just not had any time to work on it since I got back from Newfoundland. Im glad it at least made it home. I set the valves twice but other than that it's been sitting on the lift for a month and I've been riding the Guzzi.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:04 PM   #22

just keep in mind he is supported by patrons who primarily ride Japanese products and he needs to keep them happy. I cant speak for others but I've been the victim of Jap-owner bias when it comes to my Zong. They learned it from Harley owners so I reckon they feel it's comforting to look down their noses at a China rider. Piss on 'em. I know the RX3 I ride is a damned fine bike, proven dependability and more than acceptable quality & craftsmanship so reviews by a biased clown are meaningless to me. I've owned Harleys, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and a Husky so my personal experience is what I base my findings on. ... bottom line for anyone who is trying to make up their own mind - dont take my word for it and certainly dont listen to this assbag ... .. CALL CSC (800.884.4173) AND ASK FOR YOUR NEAREST AFFILIATE ! go look at it, sit on it and ride it and make up your own mind. The fact that he is a rider I can respect, his hatchet review

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 08-06-2016, 01:52 PM   #23

On his Facebook page he's been talking about it a bit. The word *fun* has slipped out several times.

But we all know that.

Old 08-06-2016, 03:25 PM   #24

And knowing you saved thousands.

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #25

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=juIUJhM7yyA

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2016 Zongshen CSC Cyclone RX3
2008 Arctic Cat 700 trv

Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 AM   #26

That was some pretty serious trail for a stock RX3. I wish he had equipped it to match the conditions of the test ... Lower gearing, better tires, lighter weight ... But maybe he's just establishing a baseline for now and will test accessories later.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 08-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #27

Thumbs Down

I thought it was pretty juvenile of a "test". Its like watching the guys on the Top Gear show destroy the cars doing things far outside the design parameters. Everyone gets a big laugh out of it. The problem is there seem to be a lot of viewers interested in the bike and if it fails on purpose due to silly abuse, than that is misleading. Its like watching idiots rock crawl their Subaru's. Can the car do some off roading? Of course (I've had 4 of them and lived most of my life out West, so I know the desert and mountains) will it do as well as my Jeep 4 door Wrangler ? On fire roads, they do better, on rough stuff or deep mud/sand/snow, Hell no it won't. Analogy being the RX3 is more of a Subaru Outback. Use them for what they're intend for and you'll have a nice machine both before and after the trip. I don't want the dude to baby the thing, but there is a reason he's never ridden his precious KLR on that trail. Now all of a sudden he rides the RX3 on it? He has an actual dirt bike (WR250) and a highly modded DRZ...how can he even really compare? Right now, people are getting a kick out of how much abuse the bike can take. Long term, I fear it's setting the RX3 up to fail. Just one guy's .02

Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #28

Yeah I'll be surprised if he doesn't break something doing those trails. The RX3 is definitely not a dirt bike. The Subaru Outback comparison is spot on. It gets pretty far into nasty places but so will a Honda Ruckus if you don't mind abusing it.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #29

It does seem as though he's doing to the RX3 what I used to do to rental cars back in the day. Abuse it well beyond its means all for fun and laughs.

I can only speak for where I live and how I ride but to me, the RX3 is great for dirt roads and some light trails to find yer favorite fishin' hole...but really, really shines on paved tight twisties. I can easily drag my toe on the road (from the peg) without any hint of it becoming sketchy...and that's with the stock tires! In stock form this bike handles amazingly well. It's a shame but he's missing out on its true characteristics.

Too bad he wasn't around a generation ago when my grandfathers crew was giving my heavy flack about riding a Japanese bike.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #30

But another way of seeing it... if the RX3 survives that kind of abuse, then more so will keep up with its intended use. It's clear for him and for his viewers that that's not what the RX3 is for. It's just for fun. One commenter asked "how many missing bolts after that?". None, you naysayer. So I'll keep racking miles (well ok, kilometers) in mine. By the way: although there's a lot of better choice of bikes to tackle terrain like that... I've been on travels where you have to do five hundred kilometers of two lane asphalt, then two hundred kilometers of packed dirt... and then a few kilometers like that. All in one day. And then I don't know if there's a bike more apt than the RX3 for -that-