Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2016, 03:49 PM   #106

Axle Alignment

Man...I hope this doesn't double post...

I did what I recall FLASHLIGHTBOY (a member and I believe a Canadian dealer) suggested...if I remember right.

My Rhino's axle has been way skewed since it came out of the crate (see first pic). It didn't ride weird, just looked like it should. So after the rear sprocket install, I decided to give it a whirl.

I loosened up all the adjustment points, attached a ratchet tiedown between the rear axle and lower control arm and started ratcheting. Once it looked close, I adjusted the chain and tightened everything down.

Came out much better! Thanks FLB!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old 12-31-2016, 04:57 PM   #107

Thanks a million for posting that fix for the crab axle 2LZ. Was gonna ask you how to do that fix.

I have the same exact issue ... even tilted the same way... will do this next chance I get. Need to get two new eye bolts or whatever you call them to do the tightening... the threads on mine aren't so great.

Old 12-31-2016, 06:32 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Thanks a million for posting that fix for the crab axle 2LZ. Was gonna ask you how to do that fix.

I have the same exact issue ... even tilted the same way... will do this next chance I get. Need to get two new eye bolts or whatever you call them to do the tightening... the threads on mine aren't so great.
Glad to help! It seems we'll end up being the CR Guru's for the Rhino's! ;-)

Oh man....I think I really screwed up. I found some nice allen's in my stash for the countershaft sprocket that cleared the chain. I ground the shoulders a little, just in case. Went on real sanitary.

Took it out for a burn to check the AWESOME gearing and adjusted all the way back, the chain was still jumping on uphills....so I cut out one more link....and adjusted all the way forward, I CAN'T GET THE DAMN CHAIN TOGETHER! Grrrrrrrrrr............

Yours went on and adjusted ok??? I know what you mean about the little adjuster thingy's. I'm afraid to hank on them too much..... Seem very soft. If you get some better ones, let me know and I'll grab some also.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Last edited by 2LZ; 02-06-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #109

I had to add a half link after the chain stretched a little. Got it at Tractor Supply...it's labeled 50 chain for the half link. Picked up a chain tool there that holds the two ends together while you slip the master link in.

Yeah struggled a bit to get things to line up. Sat on the ground and did a lot of pushing and pulling using my legs and arms. Looked down the chain like aiming a riffle to get it straight.

With the screw issue. When I tightened mine I made sure the flats were at the outer most position to get a little extra clearance. The allens you used look much better.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I had to add a half link after the chain stretched a little. Got it at Tractor Supply...it's labeled 50 chain for the half link. Picked up a chain tool there that holds the two ends together while you slip the master link in.

Yeah struggled a bit to get things to line up. Sat on the ground and did a lot of pushing and pulling using my legs and arms. Looked down the chain like aiming a riffle to get it straight.

With the screw issue. When I tightened mine I made sure the flats were at the outer most position to get a little extra clearance. The allens you used look much better.
COOL! Thanks! Is this it?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pro...4?cm_vc=-10005

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 12-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #111

Yup that's it.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:20 AM   #112

Finally got to use the Rhino for its intended purpose this weekend. Darth, the gearing is just what the Dr. ordered! I had multiple cart loads of stuff I was moving and it grunted along nice and slowly so I didn't have to worry about losing anything out the back. Pulled right up my back hill just as I'd hoped.

They should come with this gearing.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 01-17-2017, 11:48 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post

This past Saturday, an unofficial tradition that began about 5 or 6 years ago in Yuma was held again--the Christmas tree burn. 410 old trees were gathered up and hundreds of people went out on BLM (the REAL Bureau of Land Mgt, not the terrorist group) land. Technically in California, not Arizona, but all the same. I had my beat up old Jeep Grand Cherokee, but boy is that quad territory! In fact, rare for Yuma, even two-wheel territory (rare in that one does not need a paddle tire). It made me long for a quad. Went miles out in the desert, and still did not see it all. Would love to ride a quad out there, like I did 3 years ago when one of our friends rented Honda TRX 250's. The Rhino, with stock gearing, would do nicely, I think, for spirited riding, as well as exploring. The racks make it much better for getting out far and wide vs. a sports quad (i.e.the TRX's we had which were used within a couple miles) so hopefully they don't change the stock gearing before I buy a Rhino. I guess, if they do, there will be lots of stock gearing available from you guys!

BTW, the Rhino is showing up as 'New' on Taotao's site. I wonder what, if anything, they changed, or perhaps these are just a new shipment vs. their old stock. We all know how Taotao's site specs can differ from the real thing...

http://taotao.us/index.cfm/atvs/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #114

I'm going to be using my Rhino off of I8 around the 151 to 136 mile marker area. Will be heading out there in early February and hoping the stock gearing works for me, but I may have to go to the 37 tooth rear to handle some of the areas we work. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Old 01-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Finally got to use the Rhino for its intended purpose this weekend. Darth, the gearing is just what the Dr. ordered! I had multiple cart loads of stuff I was moving and it grunted along nice and slowly so I didn't have to worry about losing anything out the back. Pulled right up my back hill just as I'd hoped.

LOL you sound like me now 2LZ .. glad to hear it helped. My last trip out prospecting it towed two dredges worth of gear. About 4-500lbs of gear + 200 lbs of me.

That picture on the TaoTao site has been up a while Culcune... doesn't look like anything changed in the specs.

Widowmaker I strongly suggest changing both gears to get a noticeable difference. 1 tooth less on the front sprocket is the equivalent to 3-4 more teeth on the rear without losing ground clearance. Much easier to change the front sprocket if you are only going to do one.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #116

Darth, I think your posts about GOLD are popular, more please

Culcune.. so you were on blm land, how did they manage to burn those trees without getting arrested for illegal burning . I guess we both will be getting a knock on our doors soon for these posts.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 01-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Darth, I think your posts about GOLD are popular, more please

Culcune.. so you were on blm land, how did they manage to burn those trees without getting arrested for illegal burning . I guess we both will be getting a knock on our doors soon for these posts.
I did say it is an organized, non-organized burn event They can knock on my door all they want, but I didn't see nothing about anything (remember, I work at a prison teaching inmates--don't think I don't learn anything from them??)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #118

My prospecting slows down a bit in the winter... sometimes you catch a break here and there with sunny 60 degree days but the water is still a bit cold and the days are short. Will have more to post in a couple of months.

Will be doing the shifter light mod sometime before then once I figure where I will mount it.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:24 PM   #119

Winch Mounting

I'm working on a winch mount myself. Winch is a $60 CT special. I welded up 1" square tubing and will bolt the winch mounting plate to it. I'll post more pics as the project progresses...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0640.jpg (93.3 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0643.jpg (90.6 KB, 418 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0642.jpg (91.6 KB, 383 views)

Old 03-13-2017, 10:07 AM   #120

Now that's a unique way to do it!
That's what I love about these things. Everyone has ideas to share....

2009 Q Link XP 200