Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #1

My first wave

Hahaha I feel like documenting my baby's first steps

I started riding only in June after I bought a used Zongshen Storm 250. My first official street ride was when I brought it home from the seller and that was only less than a mile and included three stop signs, one left turn and two right turns.
On my second ride, I saw a rider on the opposite lane and I didn't know anything about the wave at the time so I gave the guy a friendly nod which he politely returned.
When I got home, I googled to find out if I did the right thing. That's when I read about the wave.

I ride only after work, for about an hour between 6pm and 9pm, and use the back roads where I can practice on not so difficult curves and with fewer vehicles. I never saw a single rider on those trips until today.

Earlier, I missed a turn and instead of going my usual route, I followed a road that led to the town center and I said, why not? Just before main street, I saw an approaching rider on a Harley and we waved at each other--he beat me by a half second, obviously because he's the more experienced rider.

So, there you have it, a newbie's milestone
---Thomas Sowell
Zongshen Storm V-250
The Zong and Winding Road

Old 08-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Thats cool. On an early trip on mine I got a "nice bike" from a guy at a gas pump. I resisted the urge to start telling him all about it and with a "thanks" went on my way. Don't be surprised if you have a similar encounter soon. Bikes are inherently cool no matter what species.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

Good story! I love it when other riders wave, despite entirely dissimilar machines.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Good story! I love it when other riders wave, despite entirely dissimilar machines.
The thing with motorcycles is that I see the rider first before the machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
Thats cool. On an early trip on mine I got a "nice bike" from a guy at a gas pump. I resisted the urge to start telling him all about it and with a "thanks" went on my way. Don't be surprised if you have a similar encounter soon. Bikes are inherently cool no matter what species.
A few years ago, I complimented a gentleman's bike and asked him what model it was. He gladly told me the model and a little more about it. It's never a case of too much information.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyson View Post
It's never a case of too much information.
You think that because you've never had a conversation with me.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

I bought and rode the Zong for the first time on 6/17. Today, 8/17, I rode it to get to work avoiding Highway 99 and used the back roads. It could be the lower speed limits, I was 15 minutes late.
Mindful of my speed, after riding for about 5 miles, I noticed that the speedometer shows km/hr. So, the rest of my 28-mile trip was spent converting mph to kph.