Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #1

TMEC200 or "new" Bashan 250cc Enduro

Hello All! This is my first post on the forums. I do not currently own a Chinese motorcycle, but have been considering it for a few reasons, and would appreciate any insight that all of you may have for me.

To start, I drive a motorcycle every day, and do not own a car. I am driving a Suzuki Boulevard C50 for now, and I love it. I however am interested in venturing into the world of dual sport, and most particularly, off road riding. I do not wish to give up the boulevard to do so, and do not have funds to get a second hand japenese bike around here very easily that is not somebody else’s problem as of now.

I am far from afraid of maintenance, and I am just looking for something to drive on mellow off road trails here in Utah to familiarize myself with what it is like in the dirt again. I want to be able to drive the bike on frontage roads and back highways to be able to get to the many trails we have here in Utah without having to tow it around, so I need something with enough pep to keep up in mellow non-freeway traffic.

I am very interested in the large displacement options like the xy400gy and the JH600, but they simply do not seem available at this time. I know that Pitster Pro who is about 30 miles south of my house, used to rebrand an xy400gy as an LXT400 Pitster Pro, and have not had a chance to ask them why they do not carry it anymore, however I know this is not an option they are offering anymore. As for the JH600 I can’t seem to find any mention of it in the US through the proper channels and as such seems like an option I should forget about for a few years maybe.

Here are the three options that are available to me locally.

The First is the TMEC 200, available locally from XTM motorsports, who is 30 miles to the North of me, or so. I have found a decent bit of information here on this bike as well as on MCM. Here it is listed on their site:

http://xtmmotorsports.com/TMEC200%20...20Dual%20Sport

They have it listed at $2,100 on the site, but I have seen them advertise in local classifieds like craigslist and KSL for 1,699 as late as a week or two ago, so I am sure I can get it for 1,699.

The second one I am having a hard time finding much information about, though there is some mention of it on MCM recently. They are referring to it there as the BS200gy and BS250gy.

The version available locally from a company called Any and All Powersports a bit closer to my house is simply listed as a Basahn 250cc Enduro. It appears to have a typical OHV 223cc motor. Here is the local listing for it at $1,799:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...ashan&ad_cid=1

The third I am not considering as haevily because the price (albeit the quality most likely as well) is higher and is approaching a budget that with some patience I could find a quality second hand japenese bike for.
It is the Piter Pro LXR 250F, which on the site does not yet have a price, but I have found it around for the mid 2,000’s new. Here is the link to the Pitster Pro Page:

http://www.pitsterpro.com/bike/overview/id/66

My questions are what bike would you be considering with the TMEC 200 at 1,699, and the Bahsan 250 at 1,799? Does anyone have any more info for the Bashan or are you able to tell anything from the pictures in the listing? At only 100 more if the quality is similar it seems good to have the bit of extra power considering I am not a small guy. Like I said if the pitster is in the mid 2’s I would probably be better off being patient and staying on top of the used japenese market around here.

What are your guys’ thoughts and opinions on the matter?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #2

I was going to go get picture of the TMEC200 and the Bashan 250 today, but it is raining quite hard so I decided to stay in and clean.

If they will let me get some pictures of the samples I will do my best to get pictures of all the important stuff and post them here!

Let me know if there is something you would like me to photograph in particular while I am there that might help you guys help me figure it out!

Old 04-27-2014, 01:02 AM   #3

Welcome; we are glad you joined us.

I would get the Bashan 250; it will have significantly more power than the TMEC 200. However, once the price approaches $2,000, you are usually better off to look for a good deal on a used, Japanese motorcycle.

I am well familiar with the TMEC 200. If you visit the dealer in West Jordan, get photographs of the Bashan 250's engine and wheels. It appears the Bashan 250 has one of the very reliable, pushrod engines.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-27-2014, 03:29 AM   #4

I am biased toward the TMEC but that is because I have gotten to know the owner of their main US distributor, Excalibur Motorsports, and I have owned one for 17 months of relatively reliable service--I bought it used (I was traveling from my parents' home in L.A. back home to Yuma and routed my drive through Chino to stop at Excalibur to get parts; that is how I got to know them). We are working on some projects to sell their main products they distribute, the HiSun UTVs and ATVs.

The Bashan seems intriguing to me with its larger engine. I would love to see one in person. However, my TMEC has the motard-style tires at 17" f/17"r which I really like, and the Bashan is not available with the same option. Yuma, AZ, as much desert as there is around here, is ironically not 2-wheel friendly due to the beach sand-like texture, meaning the dual-sport knobbies are not interesting to me.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-27-2014, 05:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the welcome spud! Unfortunately the guys in west valley are closed on sunday, but I will get some pictures sometime this week. Do you happen to know why there are not really options in a larger displacement available around here? I am guessing that Pitster stopped carrying the xy400gy because of part supply issues? I have found a few forums stating that people were having a hard time finding parts from a few years ago. If this Bashan is really just another rebrand of a different gy with some different body parts, finding crucial parts should be relatively easy shouldn't it? So, as long as the body seems well put together it should be a pretty solid buy if that is the case I would think. I will definitely do my best to get more info about the bike since searching it by every variation under the sun it seems to have been sold under across the globe, like the hawk, the XTC scrambler, etc. I can't seem to find any great info. Bashan does not appear to be the manufacturer of the engine, maybe even the bike itself. Hopefully it turns out to have a solid engine with decent plastics/parts!

Old 04-27-2014, 05:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the input Cuclune, I seem to typically hear good things about the TMEC and it is definitely comforting to know that there are some people with first hand experience with them that say so. I could see myself potentially wanting street tires for the bashan, but luckily I have two things going for me on that one. I have a cruiser that is a blast and really a true pleasure to drive in town and on the highway so if it was a true street application I have that covered with my baby, and I work for MotoSport.com so if I decided I was really going to be doing enough street riding even owning the boulevard, a wheel/tire combo would at least come at a better price, and be resuable in other applications. That being said we will see what I find when I am able to make it out to check out this "Bashan". Hopefully I can find someone with first hand experiences with their 250, or even another one of their bikes in general.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:27 AM   #7

The Bashans are relatively new, at least to the US. If you go to mychinamoto under the dual sport section, one of the factory reps of Bashan chimed in. I think the 200 and 229cc engines have probably seen action in other bikes, but the bike looks new to me. Keep in mind that many companies use Zongshen engines, including TMEC, even if they imply they manufacture them. Even on the EPA approved list, using TMEC as an example, under the engine manufacturer column, it lists TMEC. However, from firsthand knowledge, they use Zongshen. For the Bashan, they might use Shineray, or Loncin engines, or Zongshen.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-27-2014, 12:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailingFromCork View Post
Thanks for the welcome spud! Unfortunately the guys in west valley are closed on sunday, but I will get some pictures sometime this week. Do you happen to know why there are not really options in a larger displacement available around here? I am guessing that Pitster stopped carrying the xy400gy because of part supply issues? I have found a few forums stating that people were having a hard time finding parts from a few years ago. If this Bashan is really just another rebrand of a different gy with some different body parts, finding crucial parts should be relatively easy shouldn't it? So, as long as the body seems well put together it should be a pretty solid buy if that is the case I would think. I will definitely do my best to get more info about the bike since searching it by every variation under the sun it seems to have been sold under across the globe, like the hawk, the XTC scrambler, etc. I can't seem to find any great info. Bashan does not appear to be the manufacturer of the engine, maybe even the bike itself. Hopefully it turns out to have a solid engine with decent plastics/parts!
Pitster Pro stopped selling the Xingyue XY400GY because it was a bad motorcycle; you shouldn't buy one, even if you could find one.

I'm confident the Bashan's engine is a typical Honda clone produced by a reputable manufacturer. If you get some photographs of both sides of the engine and we can verify that theory.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #9

Hey Guys,

I made it out to "All PowerSports" out here in West Valley.

They Bike looked pretty good, definitely some cheap parts, but that is why it is under 2000 eh?

Anyway, here are the pictures that I took. I forgot to get one of the right side of the engine, but I did get the number on the left, and pictures of the manufacturers plates.

So, what can you guys tell me from these?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (93.1 KB, 836 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.jpg (43.3 KB, 741 views)
File Type: jpg photo 4.jpg (46.1 KB, 687 views)

Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #10

That is a reliable, 223cc engine with overhead valves actuated by pushrods. I still recommend you get the Bashan 250 instead of the TMEC 200. However, if you are willing to be patient, you can undoubtedly find some good deals on used, Japanese motorcycles for $2,000.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-29-2014, 12:21 AM   #11

It has a 67mm bore, which means you can swap it for a 72mm piston and cylinder, if you're so inclined. That takes you closer to 250cc.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=13243492906

That's only $45.58 US plus shipping.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2014, 12:28 AM   #12

The Bashan is definitely intriguing--a couple months ago, I was actually thinking of financing one from a dealer out of Phoenix--just because I thought I needed a new commuter, and not having to fork out a whole lot of money, as well as the fact that I did not have the cash for one of those (quality used Japanese bikes are difficult to come by for less than $3k here in the southwest--there are several mid to early 90's Japanese in the $1500 range, but those not only look beat up, most have admitted issues, plus the fact that I didn't even have $1500 cash). However, it looks like another TMEC is coming my way this week, so I am fortunate the old TMEC has held on so long! I wish the TMEC had the 223cc engine, but oh well! I did find a TMEC advertised in Mexico under Google images which show "250" on the graphics, but either it just says "250" and come with a 200cc, or it comes with the 223cc (maybe 229cc depending on engine OEM).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmec 250.jpg (10.2 KB, 755 views)

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #13

Between posting these pictures and now I was able to talk to the owner who was not there when I went in person.

He said he has been importing scooters and atv's mainly, but all manner of chinese wheels since almost ten years ago, and that he is really excited about these, because they seem well put together comparatively. Of course he does want to sell me his product so I take this with this factor in mind, but he seemed like an honest guy, who uses these products, and his comments seem in trend with what the market is seeing in general with these bikes.

I have been watching craigslist and KSL like a hawk the last few weeks. I have only seen two contenders pop up that would make me heavily consider, one was a crf250 for 2200 that was in good shape and would have been an awesome purchase. Only problem is he ad was listed while I was at work, and by the time I called him on my lunch break, it had sold, on sight for what he was asking. The other also sold before I could go see it, more because he didn't answer for several hours, but it was also closer to 3000 and getting out of the price range.

It sounds like I might be able to get 2 of them for about 3200, which also makes them more appealing. Expectedly cheap trim aside, they seem to be decent.

Apparently the one that is listed on KSL is not the exact same model I sat on and took pictures of today. I believe he said one was ds07 and the other was ds08? Memory might not be perfect on that, but I think they are basically different body styles of the same bike. I know it is also made by Bashan and is a 223cc enduro bike so I am sure it is not too much different. He only has the one in stock right now but said he can have another one in by late this week or next at the latest as he already has other orders being imported. It was getting late so I will talk to him further and maybe even see if he has one that he rides that I might be able to try out.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:09 AM   #14

Thanks for the info Weldangrind! Being that I am not entirely small and that I will fall in love with dirt again, I am sure I will definitely be interested, especially at that price and only a small amount of time to get it done....ideally, haha.

Cuclune, that is cool you will be getting a new one. How many miles did you say you have put on that thing, and how many on it when you got it?

I will let you guys know if I get any more info from Ben down at Any and All Powersports, or if he maybe even has one for me to drive!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailingFromCork View Post

Cuclune, that is cool you will be getting a new one. How many miles did you say you have put on that thing, and how many on it when you got it?
I have put over 10k miles going by 33 miles a day (I finally figured out via Google maps how far it is to work, 15.3 miles, plus the one mile I ride from the prison front gate to the unit I work at). I have owned the bike for 17 months now.

On the speedo, the bike stated 302 miles (still does), but the cable was broken when I bought it. I bought another cable from Excalibur, but it seems like some other parts were missing, so haven't put the cable on.

The guy I bought it from lived in L.A. He bought it from the proverbial friend of a friend who had bought it from a retail outlet called supersportz. It was supposed to be destroyed by being driven off a cliff for one of MTV's many tv shows (funny how they have nothing to do with music). Instead they ended up using a quad because the owner of Excalibur told me they bought a quad off him to be destroyed (my guess is it is easier to push a four wheeler to the cliff than a two wheeler?).

Since these are 49 state legal, meaning Californians need not apply (supersports is located in Calif. but sold all these via mail order). The guy had put a dealer paper plate on it so it looked like a new bike, and never got pulled over. I am not sure how much he rode it, but I would guess quite a lot since he had a Harley V-rod which was well covered when I went to look at the TMEC. He probably wanted to save miles on the Harley by riding the TMEC as much as possible. My guess is around 1000 miles when I bought it because L.A. is a big place. So it has probably 11k miles on it.

Since I have gotten to know Excalibur well, and the TMEC, I thought I would continue the 'experiment' with a new bike, so as to start from scratch. My only planned mod is a 48 tooth rear sprocket which I have to order from the UK (long story, but that is the closest place that carries the sprockets for the TMEC 17" street wheels whose pattern is based on a few different 125cc bikes available in Europe).

My guess is your dealer knows what he is talking about for the most part, but keep in mind the Bashans are brand new to the US, so he wouldn't be completely familiar with them. I am guessing they have good qualities about them, just as TMEC does, meaning you won't be absolutely regretting your purchase of one.

There are some mail-order firms selling these, and I have seen the 200cc Bashans going for under $1000 dollars, but couldn't see how much shipping they were charging (I guess you have to go through the whole 'cart' process to find out. Of course, it comes in a crate, and you have to assemble the bike. I do believe there could be some sort of balance between what a dealer charges for one assembled and warranted vs. saving hundreds and having to put one together from a box, so think about that, too.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150