Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

2006 Hitong Falcon back to life

Hey all,
I posted in the New Member forum a week or so ago about my new acquisition, a 2006 Hitong Falcon 50cc scooter. Got it from a buddy of mine for $50 and a bottle of Jagermeister haha.

The bike has been in storage since 2013 and hasn't been ridden. The plastics are in rough shape from getting knocked around in the garage, but the bike itself only has 850 miles on it. My buddy bought it from a lady in 2011 that sold it to him for $100 in the local shopping center parking lot. Apparently she had problems with riding it somewhere then it wouldn't start back up. So my friend replaced the spark plug wire and reconnected the CDI which was half way disconnected. He rode the bike for 2 years, before getting something bigger and parking this one in the garage. He replaced the spark plug with an NGK plug shortly before parking it.

He said when he was riding it last it would go 10 minutes down the road then die out when giving it gas. He had to start it up and let it idle for a bit before he could start going again.

Anyway, I got the bike back to my place and pulled the carb apart. It was almost spotless in the bowl which really surprised me! I cleaned it up a bit and checked the plug which still looks new. The battery is all but dead so I tossed a small lawn tractor battery in to see if the bike would crank up. After turning it over for a while it finally fired and started up only to die again. I can see fuel in the filter and fuel is definitely getting to the carb. I checked the plug to make sure there was spark and there is. I'm going to pull the valve cover off and check the valves next to make sure they are spaced properly. I also need to double check the plug gap.

Anything else I should be checking? I'll try to grab some pics of the beast later today or tomorrow...she isn't much to look at with the busted plastics, but I'm really hoping to get it going to zip around the local roads on.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:58 PM   #2

Alright, so I thought about it a little more and realized I'm a probably a dummy. I pulled the air filter off the back of the carb and put my fingers over the intake. It fired up and spit a ton of gas out the back of the carb. It will start but wont stay running without giving it gas and its spitting a ton of gas out...I gotta pull the carb back apart and clean up the jets, float and inside of the carb again.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #3

What have you determined by pulling the air filter off? That it is dirty?

I was starting to suspect the vacuum fuel pump device. If there is a vacuum leak or the diaphragm is bad, you might see that symptom. The good news is vacuum fuel pumps are cheap and plentiful.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-27-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Glad you posted and reminded me to get back here and update the thread!

I pulled the carb back apart and cleaned it again. I checked the float and needle and it is definitely sealing. I tried to gently blow air into the fuel inlet too with the needle and float up and no air goes through, so I know its getting a good seating. I checked the diaphrams and everything looks good. I have terrible luck with carbs and may just end up spending the $25 to get a whole new unit.

I decided to change the oil while I had the time to work on the bike as well. The oil that was in it wasn't terrible, but it was definitely ready to be changed. I used 10w40 4 stroke oil.

I decided to pull the valve cover off and do the valves while I was at it. When I checked the valves they were tight, .001" so I adjusted both to .003" and put everything back together. The bike starts much better now but I still have the gas leak and I'm 99% sure it's coming back through the intake. Now a new issue that has risen, after I got the valves adjusted and had a chance to actually let the scooter idle for more than 10 seconds I noticed I'm getting a noise from the engine. I haven't had a chance to compression test the engine yet so I don't know what I'm working with there...but what do you think ?

I followed this guys video for valves

Old 04-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

It's tough to tell for sure, but I'm hearing happy valves.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #6

I know the sound quality isn't very good, I'll try to get a better clip. I feel like there is a noise coming from either the valves or the front of the engine...I dunno, it just doesn't sound right to me lol. I'm pressed for time to work on the bike so I haven't had a chance to put as much thought into it as I would like.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

In Spud's words, "slappy valves are happy valves." A little valve noise is a good thing, and quiet valves will wear quickly.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #8

Ah I see what your saying haha. I'm going to pull the head back off just to double check. It almost sounds like a broken spring to me? Of course it could be that I've just watched too many videos on YouTube and I'm looking for trouble where there isn't any ;-)

Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 AM   #9

You don't say where you are, but in the US, 50cc GY6 engines are quite plentiful since many Chinese bikes simply break down bit by bit AROUND the engine, leaving the engine alone! Not to stop you from working on the engine, but thinking more of a 'worse case scenario' if the engine has no hope, which I doubt is the case here!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #10

GY 6 engine

Here are some manuals for the 125cc and 50cc GY6 engine.

125cc SERVICE MANUAL - 15Mb download

50cc SERVICE MANUAL

Jeff