Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews

Old 04-17-2015, 11:42 AM   #1

Ronco Demolition 250

I spend 6 months every year (since my original visit in 2012) in Northern coastal Peru, and decided I needed a bike to get me out and about, mainly for fishing, but also with a view to do a little bit of gentle touring. I did a bit of online research before I arrived last year (not that easy as most South American businesses are not really using the internet as a marketplace!), and soon realised that buying a large touring bike (600cc +) was going to be extremely (and prohibitively) expensive, even second hand, and locally assembled (emerging market Far East) bikes limited to small engine sizes, which I didn't think would be adequate - based on the fact I have a Honda 150 in Brazil and would not really want to travel long distances on that!
I had borrowed a Ronco 150 road bike the previous year (2013) and been quite impressed by the performance, so went along to various dealers in Trujillo, Peru (they are nearly all in the same street so nice and easy to shop around!) and asked questions about the various off-road models. First thing I noticed was how little the salesmen actually knew about the bikes - "how big is the tank?", "5 gallons" - really, the manufacturers website says 2.5! "What is top speed?" (Not that I am a speed freak but a bike that will only do 100kph, flat out redlining is not going to be fun doing 400 kms on!) "140kph" - really, the website says 95kph!
I was looking at 200-250cc models and chose the Ronco Demolition in the end, partly as I knew the brand (and the mechanics!), and partly as it looked cool! (I will post elsewhere about the purchase process if anyone is interested). I rode away from the shop that same day on my new bike, and "Oli" (not that original a name for a Dem-OLI-tion!) and I started our relationship.
Oli came with King's dirt tyres, and though brilliant in the soft stuff, not really that good on tarmac, especially in the wet (but as it rarely rains where I live not that big an issue at "home"), and extremely noisy, transmitting some serious vibrations through the bars! I was very good during the "running in" period - staying well below the recommended revs and having the oil changed at 100kms, and 500kms (they recommend every 1000kms after that!) and just generally getting the feel of the bike.
I must admit to being surprisingly impressed with it! For a bike costing under £1000 (US$1500) on the road it is a lot of bike! The red line is at 10,000 revs, and I have never been anywhere near that - it reaches 100kph at 6,000 revs, and will "cruise" happily at 120kph (75mph) at under 7,500 revs! Tyre noise becomes a real problem at that speed on the original tyres, but I have just put Pirelli MT60's front and rear this year and now can hear the engine over road noise, and it has much improved handling, though, as yet, untested in the twisty roads in the Andes! I did have a heavy duty chain installed as the one that came with it seemed to stretch a lot and needed adjusting every few days, and also had custom carriers made (so I could carry additional fuel, which I didn't need!). It does around 100kms (62.5miles) to the (US) gallon (they sell it that way here??), so around 80mpg - UK gallons! It has a 5 speed gearbox, and a very long top gear, but accelerates well even in 5th.
My first "trip" on Oli after running in was a 90km "climb" over 2400 metres to a little town called Otuzco, and neither the hairpins or the altitude caused any dramas, so I girded my loins, loaded up the bike and set off on a 10 day 2400km (1500 mile) trip through Cajamarca, Chachapoyas (via the Maranon Canyon, which is twice the depth of the Grand Canyon!), Moyobamba and finally to Tarapoto, which is in the Amazon province! Not a murmur from Oli, despite cold, heat, high passes, deep canyons, hairpin bends,and long days (9 hours one day due to an unexpected detour!) - and the only drama I had was actually 50kms from "home" when a young man on a bicycle decided to turn in front of me without looking!! We both ended up on the floor, a few bruises and bent bars, but no serious injuries! Fortunately a policeman witnessed the whole thing so knew it wasn't my fault.

In all I covered 8800kms (5500 miles) last year, and am hoping to do it again this year. Ronco Demolition - cannot recommend it highly enough, but to perform at it's best on the road it needs some dual purpose tyres on it.

Last edited by Carangajeira; 04-17-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Image issues!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #2

Missing photos!

these are the photos I tried to insert in the post!
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1429285916
http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1429285916
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ronco.jpg (67.7 KB, 692 views)
File Type: jpg Ronco maranon.jpg (63.7 KB, 375 views)

Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #3

Do you know this guy? He deals in the Demolition, among other bikes, for budget adventure riders planning to fly into and start their ride in Peru...

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...get-ride-76478

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-17-2015, 11:47 PM   #4

I came across him on HUBB after I had done it myself! My purchase was remarkably easy, though, and I had full documentation in my name within 4 weeks of buying, but was riding the same day I paid money!
He is worth checking out for anyone doing a one-off ride in Peru, but since I come back every year I just get someone to store my bike and buy new insurance. He is also a long way South of me.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:57 PM   #5

Thanks for posting the excellent, detailed review. Your Ronco Demolition 250 sounds like a great little motorcycle.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #6

Terrific write-up; thanks for sharing your adventures with us.

I'd love to see a pic of your Honda as well.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-18-2015, 03:22 PM   #7

Honda 150 Bros

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1429384779
Would like to say the matching Honda helmet was a conscious decision but it was the only one in the shop at the time that fit me! They do love dark coloured helmets in South America, and with all the sun it cooks your skull as you ride!

(p.s. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong with inserting images? Don't think I should be showing the hyperlink as well as the image???)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bros 2.jpg (98.4 KB, 406 views)

Last edited by Carangajeira; 04-18-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Image issues

Old 04-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

Demolition and 17" rims

One thing I forgot to put in my review is that the Demolition comes standard with 17" rims front and rear - which is not a problem if you want to stick with dirt tyres, but a huge headache (in Peru) if you want to put some mixed tread tyres on. No manufacturer (available here!) appears to make a suitable 17" front tyre in a tread pattern that is any good on the black stuff - I was offered slicks, scooter tyres, mis-matched tyres (different manufacturers and tread types front and rear), and more off-road tyres.
I checked exhaustively on-line and the only manufacturer that seemed to do a 17" front would have meant having the same size on the rear, which I was not keen on.
The Honda has Pirelli MT60's on it - 17 rear and 19 front - and they work nicely (on dirt roads and tarmac, but not so good in soft sand!), however are directional with a rotation arrow on them. In the end I bit the bullet and bought some for the Demolition - 130/17 rear and 110/17 front (front mounted the wrong way round!). At least I have the correct tread pattern on both wheels, based on the patterns on the Honda, and so far have not noticed anything untoward by having the front wheel rotating backwards!!! I doubt whether I will be riding at high enough speeds for anything to go wrong, and the police here are unlikely to check, or worry about, the tyre arrows!

Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #9

That Honda is really sharp, but nothing close to what I was expecting. The Honda Bros in Japan are available as either 400 or 650 sport bikes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_NT650

I love that your Honda has the same type of pushrod engine as my beloved China bikes.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-18-2015, 09:26 PM   #10

Honda Bros Brazil

http://www.honda.com.br/motos/Pagina...-bros-mix.aspx
In Brazil they actually assemble some Honda bikes, which makes them affordable (but the 150 was still in the region of US$4500, or £3000 at the time of purchase), and also means spares are readily available - and cheap! The new Bros will be a 160cc giving an extra 0.7hp!!
I haven't done nearly as much riding in Brazil (in over 3 years) as I have in Peru (in one year!) because the roads are much more dangerous - or rather the driving is! - even though I live in a pretty rural area. My nephew has recently bought himself a Suzuki VStrom in Salvador, Brazil - and I wouldn't ride a bike there if you paid me, not only crazy driving, but the serious risk of hi-jacking (at gunpoint) if you ride anything halfway decent.
Part of my reason for buying Chinese was the anonymity of riding the same sort of bike as everyone else, and under a crash helmet, long sleeves and wearing gloves I am not obviously a gringo!! However my Oli, or maybe my riding style (!!), is quicker than most bikes on the road here, and I have not come across any problems riding in cities or on the Panamerican Highway, and am very pleased at my bike choice now.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:52 AM   #11

It's probably tempting to pack six-shooter comfort. I'm not a gun guy, but can certainly appreciate the appeal in situations like that.