Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #1

[SOLVED]Cleaned out my carb, now no throttle response. Flywing MX100

Hello all.
I've been lurking around on the forums for about a week, since I bought my very first dirtbike, a 2004 Flywing MX100. I got it for a good price, even though when I bought it I was told it was a Honda. Me not knowing much about dirtbikes didnt secondguess it, but I only paid $200 for it and it runs and drives good.

Yesterday I noticed that fuel was leaking from the overflow tube, when the gas was off, or on, and with the choke on or off. Pretty much it was leaking out at all times. I did a bit of research and found it was most likely due to just needing a good carb cleaning.

So today I took the carburetor off, I unscrewed the throttle cable from the top of the carb, being very careful with it. Then finished removing it from the bike.
I took the bowl off and it was just full of nasty stuff, so I soaked it in carb cleaner for about 15 mins. While I was doing that I removed the two Jets in the carb and cleaned them with carb cleaner and put them back in. I cleaned out the bowl and it looked great, I put everything back together and go to start her up. Starts up first kick. I give it a little throttle...and nothing. The throttle pulls back after I pull down on it to rev it up, it pulls back in place, but the bike just stays at the same rev. So I took the throttle needle/spring back out and looked it over and could see no obvious signs of anything wrong. I put it back in, and the same thing.

The bike starts the first kick every time now, there is just no response when I give it throttle. Does anyone know why this could be? I would really appreciate some help on this, as I feel like a dunce. At least before I cleaned the carb the bike was running and driving, now it just starts lol.

Last edited by Smitty0390; 03-28-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Issue resolved

Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Double check to make sure you have the throttle cable properly hooked to the slide and the slide is installed correctly. The slide has a couple notches that you have to get lined up correctly.

Does turning the throttle and the spring back return feel exactly as it did before working on the carb?

/

Old 03-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
Double check to make sure you have the throttle cable properly hooked to the slide and the slide is installed correctly. The slide has a couple notches that you have to get lined up correctly.

Does turning the throttle and the spring back return feel exactly as it did before working on the carb?

/

That was it. There were two slight notches in it, one were it looked like it slid over the idle screw and another that slid over something else. But I wasnt doing that, and while it was letting me compress the spring ad screw it on, the actual throttle pin(?) not sure what its called, but the needle looking thing wasnt going in the hole in t he carb. Did what you suggested and she fired right up and the throttle worked fine, better than before actually due to the car cleaning. Thanks a ton @Adjuster, you saved me a lot of time and aggravation haha.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:09 PM   #4

Excellent job on cleaning your first motorcycle carb. May we see pics of your bike?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Thanks, it was really quite gross in the bowl all sorts of rust and gunk in it, I a surprised it ran at all. I alos notice when Im riding, if I get on the throttle when I let loose it backfires or pops, quite a bit actually. Is this normal?

Heres some pics
http://t05i.imgup.net/KIMG0001265a.jpg
http://r05i.imgup.net/KIMG0003e6ff.jpg

Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 AM   #6

Sweet little bike! You're gonna have tons of fun on it.

If it pops when you decelerate, it's a little lean. New carb jets would fix that, but you should do that after selecting a new air cleaner and muffler, per your other thread.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #7

A little late for the conversation but I love that headlight

Old 04-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #8

Wwwhhhaaaa Thanks for pointing that out.

/

Old 04-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #9

Illuminate the world!