Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #31

having the frame powder coated and the swingarm powder coated would be under 300. if you did that, replaced all the nuts and bolts with brand new ones, and got new plastics or did a good job painting the stockers and got her cleaned up.. id pay 1500 for it if i was in the market for it.. or doc just keep it for when you get the wild hair to go out and have some real fun kicking dirt up..

Old 10-29-2010, 06:03 PM   #32

Its hard for me to not make an old bike look, as well as run good, so I figure just give me some time...

Old 10-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #33

lol same way as me, getting running good and think. oh im done sweet.. a few weeks later you look at it and think hmm i could paint that, then it turns into a complete over haul on the looks

Old 10-30-2010, 12:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
lol same way as me, getting running good and think. oh im done sweet.. a few weeks later you look at it and think hmm i could paint that, then it turns into a complete over haul on the looks
So true.

I am now able to declare the Lifan XR mechanically done!

It's all together and buttoned up. Starts with a push of a button and runs great.

Looks like a$$ but good for now.

There will be little things like a choke cable, a headlight bulb, handgrips, countershaft sprocket cover, fork seals, and stuff like that, but I plan to take it for a ride tomorrow. Will stop off at DOL on the way to work and get OHV stickers.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #35

I think I have a choke cable.

It would be a really sharp bike with a quick cleanup and paint.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:13 PM   #36

I'd be interested in the choke cable if you have one.

The Lifan XR's choke lever is spring loaded with no detents. The only way to use it now is to lift the leevr and hold it up until she'll run without the choke. It's just 30 seconds or so now but it's going to get much colder soon!

Old 10-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #37

Doc, I think you're bike was a hybrid before you got your hands on it. Son of Weldangrind's XR has no choke cable (or provision for it), and your instrument cluster looks very street oriented.

We bought a new Mikuni, and we have no plans of using a choke cable.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Doc, I think you're bike was a hybrid before you got your hands on it. Son of Weldangrind's XR has no choke cable (or provision for it), and your instrument cluster looks very street oriented.

We bought a new Mikuni, and we have no plans of using a choke cable.
Its a hybrid indeed.

The instrument cluster is totally street. It even has indicators for turn signals and high beams.

I bought a seat cover for a 1983 and it does not fit, too long so I think the seat may not be original.

The frame is not what is set up for the choke cable, it's the Lifan engine that is.

I'd be happy for the choke cable.

Looks like soon we'll have 3-4 Lifan XR's around here.

I plan to go for its maiden trail ride this afternoon.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #39

That's funny. You have a Lifan powered XR, and WA has a Honda powered Lifan.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
I'd be interested in the choke cable if you have one.

The Lifan XR's choke lever is spring loaded with no detents. The only way to use it now is to lift the leevr and hold it up until she'll run without the choke. It's just 30 seconds or so now but it's going to get much colder soon!
hey doc ebay has choke levers for china quads and bikes for extremely cheap, the hard part is finding the plate that bolts to the side of the carb to hold the choke cable..

ive been considering removing my choke cable cuz i want to shave some weight off the quad, if i do and you still need it i can send you the cable and the lever housing with my start button, light switches and what not on it.. id just need to figure out how to rewire those into normal switches

Old 10-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #41

Thanks!

The carb is set up for a cable already. Will take pic when I can.

I rode The Rat 30 miles on the trails today! Wonderful! Worth the effort! Very easy to ride, comfortable and plenty of power with its dirt oriented gearing.

Here's a pic of Doc and The Rat after the ride. My friend Roger rode his XR and we switched back and forth. He enjoyed The Rat also.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:21 PM   #42

PS I got the countershaft sprocket cover installed OK. An angle gringer made short work of the modifications needed for it to fit in the frame of the XR.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #43

good looking bike you got there, some fresh paint and a nice shiney pipe on it and she will be perfect.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #44

So far I'm happy it RUNS perfect. BTW, I am SO HAPPY I decided to go with a battery system and preserve the electric start. That will be a big selling point if and when that time comes.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:25 PM   #45

you shouldnt sell it doc, you have a fresh motor in a dirt only bike.. doesnt get much better then that