Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #1

dads last bike

finally got the cm out for a spin today. this was first ride for the cm in 20 yrs! it was last plated in 1994 and was first ride since dad first bought it many years ago. it went pretty well aside from the rear tire rubbing under compression. but it ran like a watch..

i brought my tools just n case... but no need. i hit a buncha gravel just to see how it acted. no problem!

stopped many times just to keep working starter and all that cheese... worked like a charm.

bummer i screwed the pooch on this shot, but rd sign is "less traveled rd", but of course i cut top off.

was a good ride... and when i got back refilled tank and got 56.4 mpg. i have no clue if thats good or bad though?

no matter though, it just felt good to ride dads last bike after all these years of sitting, that he never got to ride..

Old 04-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #2

Love the bike! The added sentimental value is great.

Old 04-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks for posting the nostalgic ride report with the beautiful photographs.

My 1979 Hawk II would get about 55 mpg when I was easy on the throttle. The gas mileage would drop to about 45 mpg when I was riding faster.

Are those Shinko 520 tires?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #4

i have a source for these knobs. local guy races and runs 2 races and spoons on a new pair. i buy the old ones for $15 each! so... i don't mind burnin em up on road. they are maxxis. i have bout 4 more under bench ready to go, i run em om my ktm and klr as well.

i swapped out the rear 16" wheel for an 18" off a cb360 as i can't find a knob in 16" to save my life. with rear fender removed and shocks on highest setting it only rubs when i hit dips/potholes. this is frustrating... so i am gonna hunt up some longer shocks.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:51 AM   #5

just remembered, the maxxis tire was a lil to wide for cm's narrow front end so i had to order a 100/100/18 and i believe that is a shinko. and of course with the knob mounted the front fenderr was a no go, which made the creek crossings interesting.

it's a work in progress... but i plan on keeping this thread updated.

Old 04-13-2014, 04:13 AM   #6

Okay, I'm going to guess the rear tire is a Maxxis IT, and the front tire is a Shinko 525. I once mounted a Maxxis, IT rear tire on my Honda XR650L. I currently have a Shinko, 525 front tire mounted on my Zong. Both of those tires are very good tires.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-13-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

Nice.

The CM was one of the bikes I targeted when I was hunting for a ride. Two slipped though my fingers before I landed the CX. I had similar plans for a CM if I'd got one, just less aggressive tread.

What length shock are you looking for? I have a pair that came off of a 'who knows what' I was going to use on the CX but didn't because they were longer.

Keep the pictures coming.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #8

i believe at longest setting they are 12.5" in length but i will verify that when i get out to barn today.

buddy called me last night, he stumbled up on a 72 ct90. all stock and in nice shape for a good price. not ran in a few years. i been wanting one for a while but either they are basket cases or are nearly perfect and in either case were to much $$$. this one is fairly close and looks to be the one!

last thing in need is another bike, odds are very good that i will bring it home. and that will make bike #7 in my barn!

my buddy has a couple of em and really enjoys em. he also has a nice xr650l and xt225. and a brand new grom! his grom is for sale as the ct out performs it with the lifan 125 engine installed.

if i get the ct i will snap a few pics...

Quote:
I had similar plans for a CM if I'd got one, just less aggressive tread.
i would go with a less aggressive tread as well, but since i get these maxxis so cheap... i will run em. if i didn't have a line on these tires i would prolly run kenda270 or shinko244.

the cm ran very well, actually stronger than i thought it would for an automatic. but i think the 5 speed version would be a hoot. i got home and started prepping my ktm 300mxc for upcoming dual sport ride in renfro valley, ky. and nearly looped it! i had gotten used to the large throttle inputs on the cm to get it going... the ktm doesn't need that... i nearly flipped it!

after i cleaned my shorts.... i had to laugh..

Old 04-13-2014, 10:15 AM   #9

Beautiful bike and great pics. I also love that it was your dad's.

The old Honda Twins are great bikes. I rode my CB175 a couple of hours yesterday.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

'Last thing in need is another bike, odds are very good that i will bring it home. and that will make bike #7 in my barn!'

Welcome to my world...

Old 04-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #11

thanks nathan, it is umm..... unique. and i stopped in nashville for gas n a drink. as i rolled thru town you would have thought i was draggin a dead body behind me by the looks i was getting.

it still needs a bit of work but runs great!

then weaver calls me and says he found a ct90 in decent shape for a good price and we should go check it out. i been kinda wanting one of these guys for a while but the ones i found were either basket cases or restored and in either case were to much $$. so... i gave up. weaver on the other hand.... never gives up!

so... today we went n looked at it. no title or keys which is a bummer but tim said no worries. i kinda felt retarded as i don't know one of em from the other and weaver and the owner were having a good ol time talkin ct stuff. i midas well have just paid the guy and went in sat back down in van n waited on him. i asked him a couple times what he thought of it and he never even looked at me... just kept pouring over the thing. i wasn't gonna ask a 3rd time and since he didn't pull me aside and tell me it was a flaming piece of shit... i paid the guy and we were on our way.

i still don't even know what year it is!

as i rolled it into barn..

i figured it was a wrap for the day.. but weaver just had to see if it ran, so...

i walked out to take a leak and when i came back in, it looked like this..

i was like.... damn what happened to it?! we cleaned carb/tank, set points and hot wired that bitch!

then it was time to see if it would run after sitting for many years..

Old 04-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #12

sorry, some of that post is prolly a lil confusing to you guys but i copied n pasted from nuther forum. but... it did come to life!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #13

Congratulations.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-14-2014, 08:06 AM   #14

Looks like it doesn't have much rust. That is an earlier one with that front end.

www.dratv.com

Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 AM   #15

it seems to be in decent shape and engine doesn't smoke, so thats good. the po thaought it was a 72 but my buddy schooled him on that. we still don't know exactly what year it is but thinking is a 68.

i am in no big hurry to dive into it, i have more interest in the cm at the moment. but these ol ct don't pop up that often, so i seized the moment.