Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #1

Planning for the TAT

As the title implies, I have decided to prep the Lifan to make the ride on the TAT that I'm planning for the end of May.

Where: TAT trail from Manchester Tn (skipping the very first sections of the TAT due to location and lack of dirt) to the Ok/Ar state line.

When: May 24th - 31st

Who: Myself and at least 4 other riders from a local Ga sportbike forum. Maybe as many as 10 riders, including at least one female.

Trying to decide which bike to ride has been difficult. I love the Lifan on dirt, but not so much on the street. I love my EX on the street, and it will handle a dirt road, but 3 or 4 days of dirt plus water-crossings and at least one rocky trail leads to me not wanting to be on the EX.

In the end, I figure it's time to see exactly what the Lifan will handle and get my money's worth. I will be unhappy on the street sections, but should be much happier in the dirt.

And so the planning begins...

Top of the list for me...rework the seat. There is no way that I can handle 7 days in the saddle of this horse, so I'll check around and see about getting it redone. I know the gel seat cover option is out there, but I'm not too fond of that route. I'd rather pay to have the seat done, or bite the bullet and do it myself.

Tires. I'll need to get some good tires and tubes (and spare tubes). I'm open to advice on this, as I have no experience buying dirt tires. What sizes fit the Lifan? Are the tubes sized like tires, or just for the rim size?

Power: I'm a little concerned about wiring in a 12v outlet like I have on my EX for my GPS unit. Will the Lifan produce enough power to run the GPS for several hours every day? I will be depending on the GPS if I need to set out on my own for one reason or another.

Chain: Someone mentioned I might want to replace the factory chain w/ an O ring. Do any of you with a lot of dirt experience belive this is needed, or might the factory chain be okay? I know most people prefer to move to the 520 size, but I have a new smaller sprocket for the rear that is still a 428, so I'd rather not move up to the 520 yet so I can use the sprocket I already have.

Lights: I know a lot of people have complained about the headlight not being very bright. i have not ridden the Lifan in the dark, so I really have no idea how dim it might be. This trip may require me to ride at night, and potentailly alone (if I need to set off on my own for some reason) so I want to be sure I can see. What do you recommend?

What am I forgetting? Any other advice you have for me? Anyone else in the area care to tag along? I'm not the leader or the planner, so I guess it might be rude of me to invite others, but it's all public roads and as far as I can tell, everyone is invited.

Thanks in adavnce.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project