Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2016, 01:26 PM   #1

Can someone help me identify this bike?

A few days ago, i was given a mini/pit bike from a buddy that was moving out of town. Unfortunately, he knew very little about it as he had bought it used on craigslist a couple of years back, but didn't do much/any leg work on figuring out what this thing is. Being that as it is, now that this thing belongs to me, I'd like to put it back into running order so we can bring it with us on camping trips and whatnot. It seemed to run well, with exception of a bad idle, which will (hopefully) be fixed by a carb cleaning and/or adjustment or replacement.

Here's a couple of things that stump me. When I've been trying to identify this thing, I've noticed that the gas tank looks a little different than a lot of the chinese pit/dirt bikes as it appears to be a perimeter frame, which I'm guessing is steel (based on a bit of surface rust on the metal), and the tank sits in the center of the frame, suspended by the sides, rather than on a central frame tube.

Another thing that is getting me is the swingarm.... I haven't seen a swing arm like that on any other dirt bikes (the teardrop shape). I figured with those somewhat unique features, it wouldn't be too hard to identify, however, after browsing through pictures of dirt bikes, I haven't found any that look similar. The bike does have a vin number (of which a search comes up empty handed), but doesn't have any "brand" identification marks on it anywhere. On the VIN plate it does appear to be a 2008, so that's all I really have to go on.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the engine. When I was given the bike, I was told it was a 125cc, however, I'm not sure how to identify which specific engine it is. It does have a sticker with the shift pattern (1D3U) but that's about it. I also noticed one thing that struck me as concerning... There appeared to be a metal tube of some sort (connected by banjo bolts) that ran from just above the spark plug location to a location on the bottom of the engine - this tube appears to have been pinched and cut off at each end, only leaving the banjo bolt and a pinched/cut piece of metal pipe/tube sticking out.... What is this tube/pipe/passage for??? Is that an oil passage? Do I need to be concerned about oil starvation to the engine with that tube not being in-tact?

I've got a good number of parts on order for this thing (generic stuff), but hopefully with a little help I can get this identified so I can properly deal with it on a regular basis. I'm not looking to do a full restoration, but anything that can help me identify which plastics it will accept, and little things like that would definitely be nice.

Thanks for the assistance in advance. If this is the wrong place for me to post this, please forgive me as I'd be happy to repost in the proper location if this isn't it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160509_2101432.jpg (102.1 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160510_1932254.jpg (104.3 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20160510_1931244.jpg (96.5 KB, 168 views)

Old 05-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

What country are you from ? If you are from Canada that could possibly be a gio .Since your pictures don't show the banjo fitting ,I bet it's from an oil cooler but just stabbing in the dark at this point .On the plate that told you the year ,what other info is on it ?the engine size is generally cast into the cylinder on the upper left side between the fins ,although that could also be elsewhere as I have seen them on the top as well .If you look at the engine near the foot peg area ,there is usually a flat area with numbers and letters stamped in it ,what are those numbers ?

Old 05-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

I live in the US. Sorry about that - sometimes locale doesn't occur to me until later.

The tube and bolts I'm talking about are pretty much exactly like this: http://www.kronikracing.com/assets/i...32601089_1.jpg

Although, mine (of course) doesn't have any brand names stamped on it or anything like that. Just using that picture to reference the tube/pipe I'm talking about.

I'm including a pic of the VIN plate (everything except the VIN) in case that lends any additional clues.

I'll have to take a look at those cylinder numbers when i get home as I'm at work at the moment (obviously working hard - LOL), but will definitely find out when I get home.

Thanks for the input thus far!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160509_2003325 (1).jpg (98.1 KB, 231 views)

Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 AM   #4

Welcome Colind!

I was literally preparing to say everything Bruce said.

Once we determine the displacement, you can decide about the oil cooler; if it's above 125cc, you should get one. They're cheap on eBay.

Regarding eBay, keep your searches generic, like "dirt bike muffler" or whatever. Don't worry about who actually made the bike, because it will make little difference.

It looks like a higher-end China pit bike. I'd love to get my hands on it.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-12-2016, 03:21 AM   #5

My god that's it! A Gio X33... It's got to be as it looks just like it, and everything else looks exactly the same. Many thanks!

I haven't had an opportunity to look at the cylinder yet, but I'll do that tomorrow when I have a chance to verify, and I'll follow up. If the engine is indeed a 140cc, what oil cooler would be suggested?

Old 05-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Chinese bikes being Chinese bikes, this could have been sold under a different 'brand' in the US vs. Canada, as Gio is a Canadian brand. However, Gio's might have been sold under 'Gio' in the US 7 or 8 years ago. Either way, unless you want to order parts from Canada, try to research if Gio was sold in the US, or what brand they were sold under in the US.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 AM   #7

FWIW ,if it is a gio ,they often have some nice goodies mixed into their bikes .It should be a zongshen engine ,possibly a mikuni carb ,either Showa or fast ace suspension .One fly in the ointment though is that their engines always have Gio cast into the side covers .Ordering parts from Canada could make financial sense due to our dollar swirling down the drain ,but I think you will find that poking around on pitbike sites and tabadabadoo will be better in the long run .

Old 05-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #8

Yeah, most definitely. One thing I did notice is that it doesn't have GIO cast into the side of the engine for sure - but everything else matches up to an X33. It's true that it could've been sold under a different name here, which COULD be why it doesn't have the casting on the side. It could also be almost as likely that it's not the original engine, or that the side cover was replaced. :/

Regardless though, just knowing the "brand" makes a huge difference in being able to source parts that fit, rather than needing to be forced into submission.

Also, true about the Canadian dollar. I'm actually Canadian myself, living in the US, and while over the last 15 years it's depressed me to see it's value decreased, it might work to a bit of my advantage with regards to this situation.

I'll be checking the numbers on the cylinder after work today (had previous engagements yesterday), so hopefully that will lend a bit of an answer to the size of the engine, and if it's possibly original. If it IS original, the chances of it being 140cc engine rather than the 125 that I thought it was are much higher

Old 05-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #9

As a quick follow up, while I haven't identified the exact engine yet, I did take a picture of the tube I was referring to as being cut and pinched off. Located directly below the CDI casting in the side cover.

If anyone knows what that pipe was used for, I'm all ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160512_0006257.jpg (98.9 KB, 169 views)

Old 05-13-2016, 01:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colind View Post
Yeah, most definitely. One thing I did notice is that it doesn't have GIO cast into the side of the engine for sure - but everything else matches up to an X33. It's true that it could've been sold under a different name here, which COULD be why it doesn't have the casting on the side. It could also be almost as likely that it's not the original engine, or that the side cover was replaced. :/

Regardless though, just knowing the "brand" makes a huge difference in being able to source parts that fit, rather than needing to be forced into submission.
My guess is it is the same bike as the Gio, but imported by a US importer. Importers/distributors do spec their bikes how they want, so my guess is the engine is the same, but not with the 'good' bits as Bruce's mentioned. However, at the time, they could have spec'd the US version with a Lifan or Loncin engine just as easily as a Zongshen.

That being said, I can only imagine a replacement engine, if needed, can be sourced through numerous sources, such as Pitster Pro, T-Bolt USA, or even Craigslist (donor bikes). Other parts, as you mentioned you are Canadian, can be obtained via the northern border. Sounds like a good project no matter which direction(s) you take.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-13-2016, 02:11 AM   #11

Yep. Looks like if it was originally a X33, the original engine is long since gone. It's a 125 it appears from the stamp on the engine case.

Anyway, I've got parts and plastics in the mail, so I'll probably primer and paint it tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Old 05-13-2016, 04:55 PM   #12

That looks like an air injection tube for emissions. Someone appears to have removed it. Lots of people just block them off.