Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

LF200 - GY5 Starter acting up

Hey guys, I have a 2006 Lifan LF200 GY-5 and the electric starter has been acting up lately. I hit the electric start and you can hear the starter going, but the bike wont start. Using the kickstart the bike will fire up, but with the electric start it wont start. A few times the electric start has worked, but you can hear gears knocking and slipping and then all you hear is the winding of the starter. This began this past Friday and I've had to resort to using the kick start. I took the starter cover off and nothing seems to be broken or out of place, but then again I don't what it should look like if everything were to be in working order. Any ideas whats wrong??

Thanks

Old 07-09-2013, 02:08 PM   #2

Sounds like the starter bendix is going out. It is possible that you have a weak battery or maybe a bad connection someplace too.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:51 PM   #3

I'll say there's a chance that the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter fast enough. The sound is from the engine's compression pushing the piston down and turning the crank faster than the starter can turn it (momentarily), and then the starter catches back up and creates the sound.
That's a theory I have anyways. I think these bikes use sprag clutches for the starter.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #4

It sounds like the battery as the others have said. Start there as it's the easiest to check.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 08-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #5

i switched out the battery, but still no luck...the headlight issues i was having are now solved but the starter still isnt working...how would i go about replacing a starter bendix? and do you know where i could find one?

Old 04-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #6

Probably a bit late, but my son had to push the last kilometre home from work the other night. I stripped the left side and found the bolt that holds the magneto in place was so loose that the magneto had knocked some of the winding coils off.
The key had sheared in half. I have mad a new one by cutting the end of a 2nd cut file off and grinding into shape of the key way.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel View Post
Probably a bit late, but my son had to push the last kilometre home from work the other night. I stripped the left side and found the bolt that holds the magneto in place was so loose that the magneto had knocked some of the winding coils off.
The key had sheared in half. I have mad a new one by cutting the end of a 2nd cut file off and grinding into shape of the key way.
I imagine that file steel should be up to the task. Good idea!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Tags
electric, gy-5, gy5, lf200, starter