Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #1

New Rhino 250 Q&A

A few quick ones,,
Now that I binge read every forum, I'm contemplating just rebuilding the whole atv with aftermarket parts so it wont disintegrate where it stands, or leave it alone and wait until it catastrophically fails and let everyone just laugh at me as they all bought from the big 3 brands..what the Heck,,I love a good fight!

Here's a few slow pitches...
1) I've read I should have a spare CDI, and I lov spare parts, but what issues occur when you have a possible failing CDI?

2) Air filter, read the stock was junk at best, I did drive thru a puddle and not large last weekend and it conked out on me. then restarted after a few sputters. would a new aftermarket air system help?
If so would I need to adjust the fuel/air and carb overall? no crazy bout that one, all carbs r picky in my experience..

3) Electrical, all the connections under the unit are just plugged in type, no splash protection whatsoever, I'm thinking of using "vulcanizing sealing tape" and just doing a few wraps on all the connections to make them at least splash resistant, thoughts?

4) start/stop the unit; lets say I use the unit all day, do I then close the fuel shutoff, run it dry, until the next day when I use tem again? And yes all I use is 100% ethanol free gas with a touch of Lucas fuel conditioner.
I just want the best odds in restarting when at a campsite over night.
Anything else you may want to point out great appreciated!!!

Old 06-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

LOL! now that I have the tears of laughter wiped away...

1- They either quit when they get hot, but most just quit.

2- If you go through deep puddles, run a hose off the carb to under the seat, then add an Uni. So you have to drill a hole and find the right size hose.

3 That would work and also dielectric grease if you want.

4- If you're only shutting it of short term, don't worry about draining the carb. Just shut off the petcock. CG motors are great starters.

If it disintegrates just standing there, get pics!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 PM   #3

The Rhino in it's stock form will hold up well... the mods I did were more to settle some performance issues and piece of mind.

Stock carb was ok but not good enough for the heavy load I pull when it came to the one steep hill I have to climb. Better carb and gearing resolved that nicely.

Air filter under the seat mod was because I ride through a creekbed most of the time.

All the other stuff was just piece of mind. Winch because the stock carb was not up to snuff. Haven't used the winch since the carb and gearing upgrades. Still nice to have when the time comes.

LED headlights... just because the stock ones are useless... a bad trip out of the woods and they will be used one night.. not yet though

The frame, engine, steering and suspension are all stock and holding up just fine. Make sure all your bolts are tight and stay tight.

I did get a upgraded battery from Walmart because the stock one was crap. A little higher on the amp rating but no issues from it.

Hitch mod was essential for me.. works great and easy to make.

I like the idea of the vulcanizing tape but haven't seen the need to do so unless your doing a snorkel instead and planning on renaming it the HIPPO. It can't hurt. I just have conductive grease in my connections.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #4

Thanks for all the replies,,sleeping a tad better..
No rhino here but its def not fond of h2o over 8" or so, and that's ok but I'd rather be safe than sorry with H2O conking it out, If I did do the extension mod to under the seal and new air filter would I still need to adjust the carb?

Old 06-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

sorry, "SEAT" typo

Old 06-15-2017, 10:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
I did get a upgraded battery from Walmart because the stock one was crap. A little higher on the amp rating but no issues from it.
Darth, what battery did you get from Walmart?
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by david3921 View Post
Darth, what battery did you get from Walmart?
I got a Walmart battery also....and I'm having trouble with it (first WW battery I've had trouble with). I forget what it is. I think it's a 9?

I thought I had a draw but thankfully, none. The battery bucket is pretty large. I want to upgrade it to a bigger one, because I have so much electric crap hooked to it.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #8

Like Darth, I only did the carb, gearing and pipe because of my usage. I drag stuff up a steep hill also.
If I was just using it for pure entertainment value, stock would probably work.

Personally, I change all my CG motors to the VM26 carb, just so I have a variety of jetting for them all and they do run a better with them. I'm not sure about yours but my stock Rhino carb was red lock-tited on the slide cap and the bowl screws were break-off. I'm not sure if that's a CARB thing or if everyone's is like that. Man, getting that slide cap off wasn't fun.

If you do the air filter mod to keep it out of the water, you'll just have to ride it and see if you need to do anything with the carb.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Hi yall. I am new at this forum thing so please. I hope I am doing this right. I am thinking about getting another taotao. Had a 250d for years. wanting to get the Rhino. I would leave it stock accept for maybe bigger tires and a tow hitch on back and a winch. Anyone know what biggest tires I can put on it without rubbing and maybe an idea for a tow hitch? and can a winch be added to the front without having to do a bunch of mods

Old 06-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork View Post
Hi yall. I am new at this forum thing so please. I hope I am doing this right. I am thinking about getting another taotao. Had a 250d for years. wanting to get the Rhino. I would leave it stock accept for maybe bigger tires and a tow hitch on back and a winch. Anyone know what biggest tires I can put on it without rubbing and maybe an idea for a tow hitch? and can a winch be added to the front without having to do a bunch of mods
There's some good info on winch and hitch's in this ATV forum, Just use the a search feature and you should be able to locate it. Also, one of the guys here is doing a You Tube video on putting a hitch on a Rhino. The same style Darth and I made. I'm not sure if he's done with that yet. I haven't checked.
As far as tires, I have no idea.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #11

TY very very much found everything I was looking for.. ty for the help

Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #12

air filter

here is a good air fliter if you have a splash problem with water... and just want to add a air filter..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg air filter 2.jpg (23.1 KB, 649 views)

Old 06-27-2017, 06:26 AM   #13

awesome thank you, buy stock, im getting 3

Old 05-04-2018, 10:33 AM   #14

Taotao Rhino 250 stalls in gear????

I just purchase a 2015 Taotao Rhino 250. I changed oil, replaced spark plug, replaced air filter, and cleaned carb. It starts up great and idles good, but when I put into gear and let off clutch engines stalls out. Can anyone help me out? Think I may need a new clutch? Thank you

Old 06-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #15

23x10x10 Kenda Bear Claw tires fit the rear just fine.