Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2010, 09:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Good point, they do call it a mikuni carb, not a mikuni "type" carb. Make sure you also replace your spark plug with a true NGK.
Already changed the plug - tip for others, NAPA has these in stock, and cheap.

Also, the intake on these Rebel T3 quads is already 30mm, so a 30mm carb will bolt right on.
I get my plugs from Lorcdo out west here, also cheap. Always have them if you know the plug number.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #32

Yeah i run the NGK DR8ES-L in my X31 and beast, their always in stock at my local canadian tire store, part # is 018-3928-6 and IIRC $6.99 a two pack.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynev
Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterVS
Guess what? I have about had it with GIO:
What the f*** is this? K F???
I thought the carb on my X31 was the same as the upgrade carb i put on my beast, i ordered jets for the X31, took the carb off and found it was a keihin copy, not a mikuni, i had a spare GIO upgrade carb in the basement so i rejetted it and put that on the X31.
Guess what... bitched to GIO, they are shipping me a Chikuni GRATIS!
They may actually move off my sh*t list, once I get this quad running.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:55 PM   #34

It's been wet and cold as hell here in northern Alberta, but finally got around to installing the Chikuni on the Rebel T3 today.

Huge improvement over the carb it shipped with, at least it runs now and has some power! Didn't mess with the carb too much yet, it shipped with the e-clip on the needle valve right at the bottom, I moved it to the center position. Played a bit with the mixture screw, but didn't make a lot of difference, tried moving the e-clip down one notch, not much difference either. Will try and do a proper tune on it on a nice day. Just wanted the thing running so I could do some trail riding, see how it performed.

It still seems not to have the power it should, but then I am used to a dirtbike that weighs a lot less, with 50 more cc's. The skidplate under the rear axle was a nice idea, too bad it go busted off and destroyed on my first ride! Not surprising, being plastic. Think I might make one out of some sheet aluminum... and I think a performance muffler is in order as well.

Body panels vibrate like hell, as does the handlebars. Noticed the chain rubs against the cover over the front sprocket. Pulled chain tonight to get a replacement. I notice the front sprocket is kind of loose, as is the one on my X31 dirtbike. Is there a better quality one I can put on these?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #35

Glad to hear you got it running. What part of Alberta are you in?

A skidplate under the rear axle is mandatory to protect the rotor and the chain. Along with a performance muffler, a performance CDI and some bigger jets will wake it up.

The front sprocket is supposed to be loose on a Honda type engine. It allows for minor chain / rear sprocket misalignment. If you remove it, you'll see how it's machined that way on purpose. The chain rube against the cover? That's a new one. There should be lots of clearance in there. Got pics?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #36

I was surprised at first how my 200cc Beast seemed to be a gutless hunk of crap when I first got on it... this is me being used to a 250cc Yamaha YZ rocket ship.

With the uni, carb, cdi and exhaust installed it's a new animal. Still not hairy like the bike, but enough to make me chuckle when on it. With those upgrades you'll begin to appreciate the fun for cost factor.

Good luck with it. You're in good hands here with the folks in this forum. They know how to get the most bang out of these cheapo quads.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #37

dont forgot to top off the mod list with a high performance ignition coil.. gives you double the spark voltage over stock..

sad part is they can only be found on ebay and run anywhere from 34.99 to 50 bucks. unless you order form hong kong but then its a 15-30 day delivery time

Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 PM   #38

ya that coil is a must if u have a race cdi and ngk iridium spark plugs
YTX14-BS battery mod,gy6 carb 250cc,custom intake,125cc cf dirtbike muffler,MPR filter/intake,performance cdi,ngk iridium xi dpr8eix-9,performance coil pack and wire, pro taper handle bar, Gio air shocks, yam swing arm bus

Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #39

found some for 24.99 plus 6 bucks or so for shipping.. will be ordering

mikuni carb
tach\hour meter
air filter
high performance coil

all this weekend or early next week, sweet part is all of them have free shipping except for the coil

Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
found some for 24.99 plus 6 bucks or so for shipping.. will be ordering

mikuni carb
tach\hour meter
air filter
high performance coil

all this weekend or early next week, sweet part is all of them have free shipping except for the coil
Looking for a "performance" muffler now, but I'm not paying what GIO wants for one. Doesn't look like they show up on their auctions either. And I really don't to pay like $200-$300 for a namebrand muffler.

Got a new chain from Honda dealer yesterday, it appears to be a 530 chain. Drooled a bit over the quads in the showroom, then looked at the price and felt kind of smug... cheapest one started at like $8K. If I was going in the back-country where I needed something ultra-reliable, great...

Already have a "performance" CDI on the way for both the T3 and my dirtbike.

Also looking for a UNI or K&N airfilter. Should be easy enough to figure out, clamp on one for a 30mm carb. Would like to have a shield underneath it of some sort, may have to fabricate this when I fabricate the aluminum skidplate for the swingarm and rear axle.

I would like to see a stickied post on here for a list of upgrade parts, and updated sources for them and prices.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:24 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Glad to hear you got it running. What part of Alberta are you in?

A skidplate under the rear axle is mandatory to protect the rotor and the chain. Along with a performance muffler, a performance CDI and some bigger jets will wake it up.

The front sprocket is supposed to be loose on a Honda type engine. It allows for minor chain / rear sprocket misalignment. If you remove it, you'll see how it's machined that way on purpose. The chain rube against the cover? That's a new one. There should be lots of clearance in there. Got pics?
I'm in the Grande Prairie area.

I'm gonna remove the busted plastic skidplate, and use it as a template to fabricate a new one out of "checkplate/diamond plate" aluminum. Might even see how difficult it would be to skidplate under the engine, and the front a-arms.

If the new chain rubs against the cover, I'll take a picture and post it. I could hear it while I was riding.

The Chikuni carb I just put on has a 100 main jet in it now, do I need to go larger than that?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #42

there is a crap load of used fmf silencers on ebay right now, i got my fmf powercore 2 which is a 2 stroke silencer, but i just replaced the packing with 4 stroke packing.. neways i got it for 45 bucks shipped..

Old 08-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #43

On my beast i have the CDI, UNI air filter, performance exhaust with the monster muffler and with that combo i've had to up the main 4 sizes to a 110 and the pilot up 2 sizes to a 25 on the mikuni carb.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #44

also the air up there is thinner and cooler correct ?

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizke
also the air up there is thinner and cooler correct ?
Actually colder air is thicker/denser so a larger jet would be needed, on my sled it was 1 main jet size per 7 deg C, but today is still just over 31 deg C / 88 F here in ontario, so even if your at 101 F that's still only 1 jet size difference.